This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuzzy pics

I have a Nikon Coolpix 3100. It takes wonderful pics. The problem is the pictures are 1meg or more. the camera has diferent setting so I can get a picture 100 KB or less but it looks awful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re:fuzzy pics

looks pretty bad

Comment

Steve will be able to help a lot more that me, but I can tell you what I have done..

I take my pictures on the Best quality setting.. Yes the pics averag 1.4/1.5 MB each, but then I can use a photo editing software to reduce the size.

What I have found is that the best quality photos that are then "shrunk" are still way better than setting the camera on it's lowest quality setting.

Another thing I struggle with is that with closeup pictures it is crucial to be as steady and still as possible.. It seems that even with flash, slight shaking or moving seems to blur photos..

Help us out Steve
      To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
      -Clay English
      Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

I hope this looks better

Comment

It's better, but not perfect. Im going to keep working on it.

Comment

Hi Dan.Greg,

Sorry this reply took so long. Had a very long shoot today..

OK, I would have said mainly what Clay stated about taking the image in higher resoultion mode and shrinking it down for the net. Bigger file sizes, high resolution means more info in the picture file.

It does appear with atleast one of your images that it is soft
            (fuzzy looking) due to camera shake. Digital cameras can be a headache here because they do not follow the image movement the same way a good pro film camera does. You may want to do a test to see if it corrects some of the fuzziness. Get a tripod, even if its a 20 dollar walmart tripod, just something that will lock the camera in place, and start shooting. Now before you get any trip[od, make sure your camera will take one, just a screw hole on the bottom of the camera.

Another thing to consider that will help a little is if any of your photo editing software has a shaping mask. if its does, use it just a little. Most digital files will have a slight softning effect on the files. this should correct it some. Also play with the contrast level, it can fake sharpness and may correct some of the fuzziness. The Nikon cool pics is a fine camera, so I would keep working with it and make it work for you.

You may want to just as another test, pick something that has detail that can be seen good from a table. Put the camera flat on the table, take pics that way just to test out the camera shake. Make sure that when you press the shudder you are not jerking the camera in any way.

I think this would be a good start. Please do let me and other know if any of these ideas fix the problems..

Steve

Comment

Are you using the macro setting on the camera?

Are you using the Auto setting or do you have it set in one of the scene assist modes?

Make sure that both the flash and you pic mode is set to auto and try the pic again.... that usually works for me on my Coolpix 2100.

As the others have already told you, bigger is better. Take the biggest (highest resolution) pic and shrink it before posting it. There are a number of programs to reduce them. You can even use the imaging software that most newer versions of Windows ship with.

Comment

WOW! Thanks for the help! now I just need to wait till he sheds so I can get some really good pics.

Comment

Great question stormyva,

A couple of things that should be mentioned that might help.

One, if you are shooting on Macro on any camera digital or film. Alot of Macros only give you a sharp focus area of less then a 1/4 inch, some times less. So any movement by you holding the camera will give you fuzzy pics.

Another thing to look for, see what F-Stop you camera is set on. It will by something like 2.8, 4. 5.6, 8, 11, etc.. Should be displayed on the camera in the screen or view finder. The lower the number, the smaller the focus range you have. If its on 2.8 you may have a half an inch of fucus, where as F-11 will be over a foot or more..

Good luck with pics.. Show us when you do new ones..

Steve

Comment

Hi, Steve

Your advice has help alot. One mor question, one close ups I have to much flash. Is it better to use natural lighting for them. Here's a pic of my new little girl Isis

Comment

Hey Dan.Greg,

Glad it helped..

OK that is an easier fix..

You basically should try two different things and see which you prefer.. To tone the flash hot light down, these should work..

One.. If you have a flash that moves, you can tilt it up and bounce the light off a white piece of oak tag or foam board.. Basicly you are redirecting the light to a white surface and bouncing it back on the snake.

If you Flash doesn't move.. Try this..

It may take a few trys to get it where you want it, but this will work.
                      Take a tissue, fold it in half and rip a piece a little bigger then the flash itself and tape it on over the flash. that will difuse the light. If you try it and its still to bright, keep adding tissue till you get the results you want.

As for natural light> the sun will give a totally different look to your boa. Suggestion that might work. Take a branch or two out side and make them secure enough to hold your boa up off the ground (make sure it won't fall over.. Let your boa on it and start shooting. It is one way to keep a wandering boa in an area without chasing all over..

Please do share what results you get..

Hope that helps.
                      Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X