Bitten?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitten?

How many of you have gotten bitten by YOUR OWN boas?

Re:Bitten?

well i wouldnt use bitten..i got taged and take full credit for it.it was feeding day and i was at work.came home on my lunch break and was in a hurry and didnt wash my hands after thawing a pinkie.well needless to say my hand smelled like a rat so she went for it and reminded me to next time wash my hands..it didnt hurt at all.flet like a finger nail lightly going down your arm. drew a lil blood.so after that i now use hand sant, and soap w/ peach sent ;D ;D

Comment

I've had several different types of snakes bite me. Most were my fault and some were the fault of people close by handling them at a show and their snake tagged me! Usually it's a feeding response and they let go as soon as they hit and sometimes they getcha when you are putting them in the container at a reptile show like today and they don't want to be there so they nip ya. And every once in a while you'll just get a grump that will getcha no matter what! I can't count high enough to tell you the nuimber of times I have been bit.

Comment

Hi,
        Lets see I was bit by a baby guyana didn't bleed..

I learned how to read that aggresive looking snake and stay clear when they are feeding.

Havent been bit in over a year nock-on-wood ,, boy thats dumb now I'll get bit for sure.
        Doug

Comment

lol doug prolly so..keep us updated ;D ;D

Comment

Hello ineedinfo.... It just so happens that I registered to this forum for this very reason. Here is what I posted to the forum. (My very first post)

May 5th
            ********Wow, I had the same experience on Saturday!!!!! I registered to this forum just for this very reason! I have a female Boa, almost 7' long. I have had her for a year and have no idea how old she is.
            Saturday, I held her for about 15 minutes then let her roam around my room like usual. I feed her pre-killed rats and I have never even seen her strike! But as I was getting her out from underneath my bed she got sooooooooooo pissed. As you know she is very strong and it took me quite a while, but when I finally got her out, she whipped her head around to face me and then went to the 'S' position. I knew right away she was going to bite me. As I was telling my 2 year old to get out of the way she bit my arm. The shocking part, it didn't hurt. It was like a puppy dog that bites their master out of fear. This was so out of character for her!!!! I was scared to even pick her up! I finally got enough courage to do it. She sat in her water tub for 2 days until I finally took her out because she was worring me.
            Now she's acting like a totally different snake! When I go to check on her it looks like she is stalking me. She flinches and jerks and has hardly any tongue flicking. (which i hear is a bad sign) She has been in the 's' position since Saturday it seems. I keep trying to come up with all of these different excuses. Here is what I have come up with. Maybe she was hungry and I didn't realize. Maybe she smelled the sent of my other boa on me. I did, move her cage to a different room before this happened. Maybe she sensed my nervousness by the way she was acting. maybe maybe maybe. I just don't know. It's sooooooooooo frustrating!!!! :-/ **********

If you would like to read more of this topic I posted it is in the Boa Constrictor Care Forum under "need advice bad..." :P

Comment

bmoore thats the funny part.it dont hurt.i think the pain(or stress) comes from the shock that the snake did that. but never show a snake fear.there just like dogs.show a dog fear and you will get bitten.stand up to it and you " should " be fine

Comment

NEVER!

Okay it is not really never, but it is very very seldom.

Okay it is not really seldom, but it is not that often.

Okay I was bit on Sunday. ;D

And it was all my fault.. Changing water dishes out and placed the bowl in the enclosure too fast... Must have thought I was a BIG rat.
                To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                -Clay English
                Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

funny part is the tagged/bite could be prevented.good part about is they tend to remind us not to get in a hurry or get to lax w/ em..

Comment

Hi ineedinfo,

Good rule of thought is that if you keep snakes long enough, you will get tagged. The bites are not as bad as you would think, but they are no fun either. Just don't get laxed with washing your hands, and dealing with your snake. It will atleast cut back on the bites..

When my Blue beautys were born, i took a bite ot two from each one till I sold them. Had one of my boas bite me, but he was expecting more food. Took bites from bigger boas, rocks, retic, and almost an anaconda I was dealing with for rescue and relocate purposes. The rock grabbed on and didn't let go. That I hate. The boas who tag and release is really no big deal below the neck. Never took a tag in the face, don't want to either..

Steve

Comment

steve what did you do to get the snake to release the bite? i saw on animal planet about snakes and a guy in the u.k. had a burmise python and was messing around w/ rats or ginnie pigs and the hair got on his sweater and his python grabed him and didnt let go..he didnt want to pull the snakes head off his arm cause it could cause more damage to him and his snake.he used which i cant remember if it was vodka or rum to release the snakes hold.he poured it down the snakes mouth.he said there something in liqour that snakes hate.ever hear of this ? or what did you do?

Comment

Hey Gun Lover,

Well in my case, just a real grumpy Rock.. Real suprise..LOL, anyway whenever I go to pick up rescues I always bring my handy dandy bag of tricks..LOL. Just a splash of Rum in the face mouth and he let go. But he continued to hiss so loud it sent chills down my neck. Three things that work well in a release situation. Any aholchol, I prefer clear like run, but I try to stay away from Rubbing versions. I figure anything I can drink won't hurt the snake too much. Just irritate the mouth. But in an emergancy grab what you can. Another way is hot or cold water poured over the snakes face and body, and last with big constrictors, if you can get their tail, bend it in reverse and the muscles in the mouth release. Just get away fast because he will not be happy..

Steve

Comment

lol yea i would get away fast.nothing like a mad & drunk snake after you. iam suprise that this info is not in the care guides.maybe there should be a section added for this if it isnt there already.would be helpful info to people that house huge snakes. in case they didnt know how to use a less harmful/ less painful way to release a bite.i sure didnt know how to release a bite untill i saw that show. thanks for the other tips on bite release.

Comment

HI,
                            An update on my almost never bit, my little female tried to tag me about three times today, the little stinker, she's normally a grumpy snake but today was a bit more grumpy than usual she even tagged the towel when I tossed it at her to remove the hide.. she didn't like the towel she manged to untag her mouth and stil try really hard to nail me before I exited the cage. its feeding day and she knows it...she hit a rat so hard it ruptured the belly geeze what a pig... hehehe..
                            Here's a pic of Miss Grumpy BCI.
                            she's really sweet once out of her cage... real sweet...

;D doug
                            can you hear her hissing.... gezze if this one ever has babies I am gonna need a snake hook.... :P

Comment

I have been bit by my rosy boa... but my colubians are perfect in every way.. hehe.///
                              hell I have been bit by my crested gecko... but not my columbians...
                              Eric aka...Red

Comment

Working...
                              X