Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riddle

Think hard about this one...

3 men walk into a hotel and ask for the manager. The manager isn't there, but the bellhop is. He says he thinks the room is $30/night. So, the 3 men each pay $10, and are given a key to the room. Later that evening, the manager returns, and the bellhop tells him about the 3 men. The manager says he overcharged, and the room is only $25/night. So, the manager gives the bellhop $5 to return to the 3 men. On his way there, the bellhop isn't sure how to split $5 three ways, so he decides to pocket $2, and give each man $1 back. In actuality, each men has now paid $9 each for the room, which totals to $27, plus the $2 the bellhop kept for himself, which adds up to only $29. Where's the remaining dollar to make it $30 even?

Bry

Re:Riddle

It's a mathematical error. I know this.

Comment

If you try to solve it, it's going to come out: 3 x 10 = 30, 30 - 5 = 25, 25 + 3 = 28 + 2 = 30.

Comment

Hehe, prove it.

Bry

Comment

If you try to solve it the way it's stated, it's going to come out: 3 x 10 = 30, 30 - 5 = 25, 9 x 3 = 27 + 2 = 29.

Comment

Good job, Dev. Ruin it for everyone else, why don'tcha? Hehe...

The trippy thing is, if you look at it another way:

3 x 10 = 30, 10-1 = 9, 9 x 3 = 27, 27 + 2 = 29...Technically, it's not wrong, but in a way, it is.

Bry

Comment

Now the theory is that it can be solved by one solution, but it can also be proven wrong by another solution. Therefor, it's a mathematical error.

Comment

Ok Im lost :-\

Comment

Well there is no mathmatical imposiblitys...
                  I know that...
                  So if I had my algabra book I could tell you what theory to use when solving the problem..
                  So really the one where you come out with 30 is the correct way to do it... the other is wrong and would just be a messed up thinking process...
                  Like if you thought that way you would come out with the wrong awnser alot of the time if not all....
                  That is a good'un thoughh..
                  Eric aka...red

Comment

Nice Job but easy, Try this one

"At night they come without being fetched,
                    And by day they are lost without being stolen."
                    ;D

Comment

Star's right...
                      Eric aka...Red