Dispelling some myths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispelling some myths

OK I don;t want to upset anyone here, but there are a lot of preconceptions on the UK forums about US keepers, mostly formed from videos on You Tube no doubt. However I don't agree with preconceptions so I would like to put some to you guys, and see what the reality is

1) Almost all Amreican keepers live feed

2) Most American keepers powerfeed large boids

3) Large American breeds are just reptile farms and dont care about the snakes

Now I haven't been on here all that long but reading a lot of posts I know that you guys love your snakes with the passion as anyone else. However I would liek to dispell some of these stupid preconceptions a lot of people have.

While we are at it how would you guys rate some of these big US breeders?

VPI
    NERD
    Boaphile
    Vin Russo
    Bob Clark
    Salmon Boa

Any others that you guys rate?

Re: Dispelling some myths

Youtube, kijiji and Craigslist are for the most part populated by retards. It didn't even occur to me that live feeding could be an issue until I found this site (same night I got my first boa so no worries about her being fed live before that) I can see how someone might get the same idea as your brethren when watching videos on that site. Despite how much human garbage finds it's way to those sites there are still a good share of responsible keepers who genuinely care for their animals. As far as the breeders you listed I give them all 10 out of 10 and the only thing that bothers me about any of them is all the large Pythons that N.E.R.D. breeds. It's not a very popular practice where I am as it is extremely hard to find good homes for 50 baby snakes that will get that big. This isn't an issue with N.E.R.D. mind you, I realize it is a problem with the people buying them.

Mat.

Comment

Originally posted by bladeblaster View Post
      OK I don;t want to upset anyone here, but there are a lot of preconceptions on the UK forums about US keepers, mostly formed from videos on You Tube no doubt. However I don't agree with preconceptions so I would like to put some to you guys, and see what the reality is

Now I haven't been on here all that long but reading a lot of posts I know that you guys love your snakes with the passion as anyone else. However I would liek to dispell some of these stupid preconceptions a lot of people have.

VPI
      NERD
      Boaphile
      Vin Russo
      Bob Clark
      Salmon Boa

1) Almost all Amreican keepers live feed.

This isn't true for me. I've been feeding frozen/thawed for over 15 years. Prior to that, I offered my animals "fresh killed". The only time I'll offer live, is when babies are taking their "first meals". Most will take frozen/thawed, but some require a live pinky to get them started.

2) Most American keepers powerfeed large boids.

This also isn't true. I've been growing all my boas "slowly". I take 3 to 4 years growing, both males and females. I've had the occasional animal that will grow a bit faster than others, but not because they were power fed. Some boas just grow faster than others.
      BTW "MOST" of my females will be 6 feet, by 3 to 4 years of age. "MOST" of my males are 3 1/2 to 4 feet, by 3 to 4 years of age. The largest boa I've ever had was 8 feet 4 inches. She is 7 years old. The "average" size of my female boas is 7 feet, at 7 years of age. The average size for my male boas is 4 to 5 feet at 7 years of age. So, there's not powerfeeding going on here.

3) Large American breeds are just reptile farms and dont care about the snakes.

I don't know about the larger breeders. I know I keep a "smaller" collection. I consider my boas "pets". Sure they'll have a litter, every other year or so, but they're "pets". I handle my boas regularly and they're "ALL" very tame. Except for my Leopard boas that are still in the "hissy" mode. They're getting better, but they're not as tame as my Colombian Boas.

VPI
      NERD
      Boaphile
      Vin Russo
      Bob Clark
      Salmon Boa

I haven't purchased from all of these breeders. The ones I have purchased from are very nice and helpful. They've provided quality animals and I've been satisfied with my purchases.

I would rate the ones I've purchased from as EXCELLENT!!

I never have and never will post any videos of my snakes on Youtube. I think many of the videos can give the "wrong" impression of reptile keepers.

Sure there's some great videos on Youtube that provide useful info and are helpful. Some even show keeping reptiles in a positive way.

So, you can't always go by what's seen on Youtube. It doesn't show the "whole story".

Comment

Yeah for most responsible knowledgeable owners these things are not true. Of course there will always be the ones that have no clue. Ones that don't do their research. I haven't owned snakes for very long, only about 2 years, and I have never feed live (except for a pinkie to a corn snake and it was so heartbreaking I will never do it again). From researching forums it's easy to learn that feeding live is not the preferred practice. I also learned about the negative effects of power feeding through forum research. So there are a whole ton of smart owners in this country who both share and seek knowledge to care for their pets the right way. That's too bad that these myths exist. Same reason why so many people are afraid of snakes in the first place, because of lack of knowledge.

Comment

thanks for the replies guys, I was sure that this was the sort of response I would get.

Trust me we have plenty of retarded reptile owners over here

Comment

1) Almost all American keepers live feed.
            While many keepers do feed live, the trend seems to definitely be changing towards pre-killed feeders. Most pet shops around here have started carrying frozen rodents which is helping. I have fed almost exclusively pre-killed since the early 1980s.

2) Most American keepers power feed large boids.
            While some do, the majority of the keepers I have met, tend to feed their snakes on a seven to ten day schedule. For one thing, around here power feeding would be quite expensive. The shops around here sell mice for around $3.00 ea. and large rats for $7 -$10 ea. (another reason why I have my rodents shipped in)

3) Large American breeds are just reptile farms and dont care about the snakes.
            Most of the large breeders I've met care greatly about their animals. After all not only did most of them get into the business because they love snakes, but their snakes are their livelihood, and its in their best interest to take great care of them.

VPI
            NERD
            Boaphile
            Vin Russo
            Bob Clark
            Salmon Boa

I personally have purchased animals from VPI, NERD, and Bob Clark, and have nothing but good things to say about all of them. The other three you mentioned seem to be "top of the line" also, and I look forward to getting to buy from them in the future.

I hope this helps,
            Mark

Comment

Youtube can give anybody, doing anything a bad name. I like youtube don't get me wrong but there are so many tards on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Markm0723 View Post
                2) Most American keepers power feed large boids.
                While some do, the majority of the keepers I have met, tend to feed their snakes on a seven to ten day schedule. For one thing, around here power feeding would be quite expensive. The shops around here sell mice for around $3.00 ea. and large rats for $7 -$10 ea. (another reason why I have my rodents shipped in)
                OMG those prices are crazy, I can buy large rats for the equivalent of about $1.70, and mice for less than a dollar

Comment

Just a reminder that we need to keep posts about positive/negative postings about breeders to the Board of Inquiry on FaunaClassifieds. So comment on the misconceptions, but as far as the breeders go I would direct you to the BOI for that information:

Board of Inquiry® - FaunaClassifieds

Comment

I would say the majority do not. YouTube is full of those videos. Its terrible to watch, I watched a bunny video the other day...its was sad!

I think we would powerfed boas to get them large is what you meant. Most that are educated on the matter know that powerfeeding is not good for the animal. Where you see a lot of it is to get animals to breeding weight. When in fact this practice gets you your first litter quicker but subsequent litters are less productive. In the end you lose out.

This is definitely true thats why we have a website here for people to go to. Its so we can brag about how much we don't care about snakes.

VPI
                    NERD
                    Boaphile
                    Vin Russo
                    Bob Clark
                    Salmon Boa

You missed many others that I would rate, among them Peter Kahl. They are all good that you listed.

My turn to dispel a few US myths about keepers in the UK:

1) Is it true that your snakes like terrible pop music

2) Do all your keepers drink tea and do your boas like tea as well

3) Is it true that keepers of large boids in the UK have poor dental hygiene

Comment

Originally posted by nediver View Post
                      I would say the majority do not. YouTube is full of those videos. Its terrible to watch, I watched a bunny video the other day...its was sad!

I think we would powerfed boas to get them large is what you meant. Most that are educated on the matter know that powerfeeding is not good for the animal. Where you see a lot of it is to get animals to breeding weight. When in fact this practice gets you your first litter quicker but subsequent litters are less productive. In the end you lose out.

This is definitely true thats why we have a website here for people to go to. Its so we can brag about how much we don't care about snakes.

You missed many others that I would rate, among them Peter Kahl. They are all good that you listed.

thats funny

Comment

VPI
                        NERD
                        Boaphile
                        Vin Russo
                        Bob Clark
                        Salmon Boa

I can't speak for all or most but I know I feed F/T and probably 99.8% from this forum
                        do also when they can

Once again , I can't speak for all or most but I know I feed one rat once a week
                        In past years I've fed in a more conservative fashion then lately

Definitely not true for most but some may fall under this category actually

VPI

Boaphile
                        I actually spoke with both Tracy & Jeff on the Phone today. I have only
                        the most positive things to say about both of these people

Lar M
                        Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

I find that most of the breeders I deal with in the US feed FT where ever possible, You tube does not give a fair representation of the caliber of US (or indeed the majority) of reptile keepers.

Personally I get a better feeling of community from RTB than from the UK site I go on, I have felt welcomed on this site and have formed great friendships over the pond because of it, the general love of the hobby is obvious here.

I buy in from a number of US breeders and I have never had a bad experience, I now class most as friends and hope to be dealing internationally for many years to come

No mine like Country and western (I question how closely related some of them are sometimes )

I drink Tea my boas drink distilled water though as they have an issue holding china cups

Not really we have a great health service that covers most dental costs and I have further dental cover, My teeth are pretty great , but thanks for asking.

Chris

Comment

man, no offense but have you seen the retards that post all those comments on youtube?? people on there are so dumb most of the time they literally give me a headache O_O

i personally prefer to buy my animals from a smaller breeder. they have more time to work with each animal, rather than have thousands of animals to care for. once they start getting too many animals their husbandry goes to crap and ive seen a LOT of mites on all the animals of bigger breeders....especially one of those on that list that i am NOT fond of at all and will never buy anything from. to me it seems like when people purchase something from a big time breeder, 9 times out of 10 they are paying for a brand name.....at least thats what it seems like to me. the most well known person i have bought an animal from was tony hawkins, even then i believe he has a smaller collection. the rest of my animals came from small private breeders and they have all been perfect in every way no magic mite factories, weird bruising, improperly sexed, RIs, scars, non-feeding animals for me

Comment

I fed live for god I don't know.... 12years? That's what we were told to do by the shops, and it was never a big deal (keep in mind I used mice that long).

Once I got my boa (4 years ago) and it went to rats there were problems in the live feeding. Rats are just way different than mice. I've had both my boas bitten by live rats (no where near like the pictures you'll find on the net) but it was more than enough to swap to PreKilled. I whack them before every meal now, have for the last good while.

My point is a lot of the people feeding live probably aren't doing it for the cruel factor (it's not really cruel, it's nature). They do it because that's what they are told to do. Not everyone knows about this place or others like it. It's cool watching them eat but it's just as cool if its dead or alive. As someone who fed live for over a decade I just wanted to post why I did, and why others might do it. I'm not saying this to start any flame wars or anything (not that I've seen one here ever) but because some of us just didn't know any better. I was lucky the bites were "not too bad" but I cannot lie one of my snakes almost got their eye gouged out in the attack. My heart stopped a few times and now I won't do it again, ever.

As for youtube, well, I'll have to second third and fourth the fact most people on there are complete idiots. Not just the snake people just the people themselves. I've seen some really f'd up feed videos there though. I saw two teenagers drop kick a rabbit [alive] and stomp its head before chucking it to a burm and lots of other atrocious things. These people don't even deserve to have animals at all.

One more thing about the live. A lot of stores here didn't ever carry frozen. They do now, and I buy frozen pinks for my baby corn because the rats I breed (even the pups) are too big for him, but they definitly weren't offered that long ago. I tried before. After some months of prekilled my boas will take frozen now (one is on rabbits which I must buy) but the other I still am doing Prekilled rats because I breed those and dont freeze em (I don't have over like 50-100 Rats at one time which is just enough to keep me rolling)

Power feeding I'm unsure what this really is. Just bigger meals or feeding when its hungry? I feed mine every 7 days unless they refuse then they must wait 7more. My baby corn eats every 3-4 days it seems (one mouse pink) but I thinkits because its a bit too small for him now but he cannot eat bigger. If I give him 2 at a time he is not hungry at all during the week so the last two times I've been giving him 2 mouse pinkies at a time which he gobbles right up and goes to his house. I don't know if this is power feeding or not but he sure isn't growing super fast or anything.

I've never bought snakes from any breeders online other than Kara and Ryan @ BloodPythons.com and it was a great experience, great people. I am actually going to use them again in the spring when their sumatran pythons have babies. I have bought stuff from Jeff, but only cages. I can't imagine buying snakes from him being much different from the excellent experience I had with him on the boaphile tanks.

That's about it...

Comment

Working...
                              X