No announcement yet.

Fellow Rat Breaders..Pine Bedding??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellow Rat Breaders..Pine Bedding??????

Is pine bedding for Feeder rats OK....Hear is the deal....

I go into Tractor Supply, where I always go, to get my aspen bedding for the rats. I grab a bail, and it is chopped up real fine, not chips like is normaly in the bag. So I figure, what the heck, I will give the fine ground stuff a try.

I opened it tonight for the change out/cleaning of the rat racks. Guess what, its PINE. Same maker, same bag, marked ASPEN!!!!

Now I have enough common sence to not put the babies in it, or any that are even close to the gas chamber. So....

Is pine OK for rats?...

Also, fellow rat breaders, do you see an EXPLOSION of rat babies this time of year??? I bet I have to build 2 more rat racks to hold all the babies soon. I have 22 tubs, 1 male, 2 females to each, and in almost all of them, I now have 2 litters in over half of them....( just did quick math in my head, crap, I need 10 more racks...LOL)

Re: Fellow Rat Breaders..Pine Bedding??????

From what I've read cedar is off limits on small mammals because of long term respitarory and liver issues, but Pine can be as bad although not as much testing has been done on it. This is long term by the way, if you just use up the one bag I think it'll be fine. I'm just basing this off articles I've read about rats not experience. I've not bought cedar or pine anything in over a decade.

I think you'll be okay on pine for short time but maybe read up more on for long term if you want to swap to it. Aspen is the best for everything it seems.

I have had an explosion of babies in the past 4 weeks but I pair up 1male:4females so I get them knocked up in bunches so I don't think the time of the year is anything for me. Rats go in to heat every 5 days regardless but extreme heat or cold can effect their gestations.

22 tubs, geez.

Comment

Pine shavings for my rats. I have produced millions of rats. Well certainly hundreds of thousands over the past ten years.Hundreds of cages with pine shavings and thousands upon thousands of Boas produced after feeding the parents rats born raised and bred on pine shavings.

theboaphile.com
      boaphileplastics.com

Comment

I went and counted insted of guessed, 27 tubs. If I build 2 more it will make 47 tubs....I am soooooooooooo glad the wife loves me!!!!

I dont WANT to use pine....so the info you gave was along th lines as what I was thinking. Thanks bunches.

I still plan on informing tractor supply of the mix up. And knowing me, ask for a free bag or two for the incovenance........Bet I get it too....

Comment

Originally posted by The_Boaphile View Post
          Pine shavings for my rats. I have produced millions of rats. Well certainly hundreds of thousands over the past ten years.Hundreds of cages with pine shavings and thousands upon thousands of Boas produced after feeding the parents rats born raised and bred on pine shavings.
          Is there a Boaphile Rat Breeding Guide floating around out in the ether somewhere? I'm having a hard time finding reliable information about rodent breeding.

Comment

I've used pine shavings with rats for years , but a couple of years ago I switched to fir shavings (if you can find it ) . Fir shavings cuts the smell so much better than pine for some reason. Fir shavings (also packaged as white shavings) has been my choice for the last 2 years .

Comment

Originally posted by judgment View Post
              Is there a Boaphile Rat Breeding Guide floating around out in the ether somewhere? I'm having a hard time finding reliable information about rodent breeding.
              Do as I did, read the little info you can find, get some rats and go for it. Its a learn as you go kinda thing. Its alot of work, but fun.

Comment

I've always used pine for my rats there is no problem what so ever.
                And like stated before some of the rat breeding is trial and error. If you have any questions just ask. 1 male to 3 females take male out after 2 weeks and on the 3rd week you have a litter. litter stays with momma for another 3 weeks and then can be separated. Also if you really want babies quick I do not do this but if you have to females with litters you can pull one momma out and the other will nurse both litters
                while you can stick the female back in with male. I believe in a decent life for even the rats so I rotate mine every 3 weeks. But to each is his own.
                I did once put cedar in a year ago with out knowing it. and it killed about a 1/3rd of my litter in 2 weeks. (not all cedar chips have read, this stuff looked and smelled alot like pine and came in the same looking bag.)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Boaphile View Post

As have I,not as many years or thousands as u but I've always used pine.
                  Yes I've had a large influx of babies this time of year.

Here's an old video I did when I first built my rack. I no longer have the ASF's.
                  And I never rum out off food.

P.S I have a five gallon bucket on top now.

YouTube - Rat
                  Last edited by Atrayu; 01-15-2010, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I use pine also. The only upside to Aspen is that it controls the smell a little better. As far as breeding rats go there's really nothing to it just alot of work. I'm more of a straight up colony breeder. My males and females stay together all the time. I alsu use a 1.3 group per tub.

Comment

I use pine as well. I can get a bale of it at the tractor supply for just over $4 and it is enough to change out 4 racks of 6 tubs completely with some left over. I also have a harem of 1 male and 4 females per tub and I never take the males out. They seem to get along well and I have never had a female kill or eat her young. I keep 4 tubs just for the juveniles to grow a bit bigger in once they are weaned and removed from the mothers. It has worked for me and I produce far more rats then I need.

Comment

Working...
                      X