Apartment Inspection/ Tell me what you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apartment Inspection/ Tell me what you think

Ok so this is going to be a little long so bare with me.
    About 2 days ago I got a phone call from Rachel(my fiancee) sayin that we got a letter on our door mat that stated our building is having an inspection 2/4/10. Rachel found a friend of ours in the building and he said they do this once a year and check our faucets and windows and stuff. Just to let you know my complex has 65 building 12 apartments per building 3 floors. I went crazy, the lease says no reptiles and I have 5 snakes and a leopard gecko. Before we moved in I asked the property manager about reptiles and she told me "if I see them I will bring them to your attention but I have bigger fish to fry " those are her exact words. So basically I got dont let the other tenants know. I got a guy across the hall with a 55gallon fish tank that she saw. I mean property wise you should be more worried about a tank leaking than my snakes getting out.

So after the past couple days of freaking I figured out exactly what I am going to do. I have a 4 shelf Ball python rack with only 3 filled. I am going to double up a tub with 2 BP's that were housed together before they should be fine. I will put my hypo and my dum in separate tubs. I wil put the whole rack into my walk-in closet in the corner. I found on reptile basics a 40 hour heat pack, I will buy a few of them and use them for the day. Im going to put some shirt in the front of the tubs so IF they decide to snoop around my stuff it will just look like a ghetto dresser. As for the tanks I have i will bring some boxes home from work and stick them in the closet and put some stuff on top of them. OK so that is my plan.... as for my gecko Im not too worried about him ill bring him to my parents house in the morning. So because of all of this, if you read my post yesterday I now changed from buying the boaphile 421D for each boa I am going with a reptile basics rack I hope to use the rack for atleast 2 years both boas are small less than 24inches each.

Ok so I apologize for the long post again but Im not trying to get evicted and I sure am not looking to lose my snakes. So I figured this would be the best way and alot less stressful on the snakes than moving them to someones house for a couple days.

So please I am open to any suggestions/ comments/ anyone telling me I have a bulletproof plan lol

Re: Apartment Inspection/ Tell me what you think

Sounds like you have a good plan. You could just throw sheets over all your tanks. Its no ones business really, and I don't think they can look under them. On the other hand it will make them suspicious for no reason when you can just hide them. And they can deffinitly not open your rack, it's invasion of privacy.

Comment

I work in public housing. If any tenant in our units did what you're doing and got caught, there're gone. No exceptions.

That being said, these inspections are very basic and there really is no reason that they should even look into your closet. Unless, of course that the closet has electrical outlet that need to be seen or a plumbing inspection hole or something like that.

There are no bulletproof plans. The only people who believe in fool-proof plans are fools. You should be OK, but you never know. Especially if they have been tipped that there might be snakes or reptiles in the unit.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes...

-Sean in NoCal
      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

They aren't allowed to snoop through your things for any reason. The inspection will focus on building owned properties, faucets, fuse boxes, windows etc... So even if there is a fuse box or something they need to check in the closet you plan to use, your "ghetto dresser" idea should work fine. Just make sure all your accessories, bedding and that sort of thing are in a cabinet or trunk or something out of plain site.

Mat.

Comment

No matter what be very careful not to make it look like you are growing weed in your closet or they will call the police and the police will get a warrant to enter your apt and find that it's just some snakes in the closet. The police obviously won't care but they just told your apt manager and now you could be in hot water. Trust me, we get these all the time because all the maintenance guy see's is cords going into the closet maybe feels some heat or can see the lamps through the cracks and bam, your done. Sometimes they are growing weed but you don't want the attention either way. Sometimes maintenance just opens your closet even for no reason regardless if they are allowed to or not and still finds it. Your just gambling either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunglikeafruitbat View Post
            They aren't allowed to snoop through your things for any reason. The inspection will focus on building owned properties, faucets, fuse boxes, windows etc... So even if there is a fuse box or something they need to check in the closet you plan to use, your "ghetto dresser" idea should work fine. Just make sure all your accessories, bedding and that sort of thing are in a cabinet or trunk or something out of plain site.

Mat.
            Not true at all. If they are suspicious of anything that is going on in the apt. that violates the lease, they can look. I do this every day as an inspector of public housing units. Indycop said it best though, If they think illeagal activity is going on, they'll get the cops involed. In our current political climate, that would be real bad...

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

you could potentially put them in sacks securely, and put them in your actual dresser mixed in with a little bit of clothes, and they shouldnt ever realize that they have seen a snake rack, in theory, this would work.

Comment

ya, doest sound like they are inspecting aps. for illegal activity but you never know. Maybe theyll have professional inspection people come in that most likey wont give 2 cents about the reptile issue. It sounds more like a maintenance thing. But you could buy some cheap pillow cases, put the snakes in them in the dresser and just put some clothing on top and put some dirty undies on top of that. I dont think anyone will want to inspect that.

Comment

when we lived in our old apartment the owners used to do the same inspections every year. we had some animals we werent supposed to in the apartment, but every year they just sent a maintenance worker, and he would just look around the living room and kitchen at the appliances and then leave. one time though one of hte managers came in and instead of checking out the appliances they spent their time talking to us about the pets in the living room LOL.

that being said, i think josh's idea of putting your snakes in bags in your dresser drawers would work the best, and maybe put some clothes in your snake tubs to make it look like you are just storing clothes in there.

Comment

when we lived in our old apartment the owners used to do the same inspections every year. we had some animals we werent supposed to in the apartment, but every year they just sent a maintenance worker, and he would just look around the living room and kitchen at the appliances and then leave. one time though one of hte managers came in and instead of checking out the appliances they spent their time talking to us about the pets in the living room LOL.

that being said, i think josh's idea of putting your snakes in bags in your dresser drawers would work the best, and maybe put some clothes in your snake tubs to make it look like you are just storing clothes in there.

Comment

Ya, that sounds like a good idea

Comment

Ya, that sounds like a good idea

Comment

Originally posted by Hunglikeafruitbat View Post
                          Just make sure all your accessories, bedding and that sort of thing are in a cabinet or trunk or something out of plain site.

Mat.
                          When i was living in the dorms at RSU animals were not allowed, not even fish. So to prepare for the inspections I got a litter box, cat food, water and food bowls for both cat and dogs, dog shampoo on the counter, leashes, and an aquarium. I loved it when they would come to inspect our dorm, because they would look everywhere for the animals. Normally the inspections took them about 10 minutes, but they would spend an hour in my room. The best part was watching them stare at the fish tank for 15-20 minutes.

anyway, you should be ok, let us know how it works out.

Comment

OMG thats soooo funny lmao!!

Comment

fun times

Comment

Working...
                              X