Breeding rats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding rats

Does anyone use sterilite tubs? I was just wondering if they would chew trhrough it or not? If not what is the best to use?

Re: Breeding rats

we use tubs, they cannot chew through as long as you dont punch in ventilation holes on the sides. just ventilate them with a screen-wire top.

Comment

as long as they are smooth with no edges anywhere that they can get there teeth on you should be ok. They will probably eventually chew thru but as long as you keep a good eye on them you should be able to tell when you need to change the tub. I use concrete mixing tubs.

Comment

In my limited experience once a tub of rats learns the trick of chewing through the wall of their tub they don't forget it and you have to euthanize that whole tub. This is what many others have told me as well. I use the concrete mixing tubs that most others use. The only spot they seem to be able to get at the tub with their teeth is in one of the corners. Once I had a group start to chew out I noticed that there are often imperfections of some type in the corners.

Another little tidbit of advice I was given that may be helpful:

Often a group of rats will start chewing their tub for one of a couple reasons that you can prevent:

1.) If they run out of food.

2.) If they run out of water.

3.) If they don't have anything else to chew on.

I've recently put a Nylabone in each of my tubs and I'm hoping this will prevent any little experimenters from discovering the chew-out trick.

Comment

Give em shelled corn,it's cheap and it gives them something to chew. It's also a nice filler!

Comment

just make sure it's not that really thin stuff , they will chew threw that. Sterilites work , but make sure you give them item boxes new foods , just to settle there curiosity!

Comment

Working...
            X