Advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please

Hi guys Im wondering if you guys with more expertise than myself could give me some advice. I have a year old BCI.
    I've come home from work and at some point today my ceramic has blown causing the temperature to drop averaging 22c / 72f across the viv.
    I have a spare but on closer inspection the fitting is damaged so that idea has gone down the pan.

My question is how long is he safe for or not safe for. My problem being I fed him yesterday (so a weaner rat is half digested in his tummy) I work 8am till 8pm and I'm there till Thursday meaning pet store earliest Friday or am I pulling a sick note in the morning.

Cheers guys

Re: Advice please

You don't want the temperature to drop significantly on your BCI: overall health can suffer, but more immediately, he may regurgitate his dinner. Why not be straight with your employer & tell them you need an hour or
    so off to take care of a personal emergency? They'd likely be much happier to be without you for an hour or so, than to have to cover you for the whole 'sick' day? (you might not want to tell them it's for a snake though?
    maybe another "excuse" would be better?) Unless you can temporarily heat the enclosure safely by some other method...? but with such long hours, "hot water bottles" won't work. Sorry, no way to give you any EXACT
    amount of time he is 'safe'...

Comment

Thankyou.

Yes I was more thinking of just a couple of hours off..I think it's best I get him one quick. Although boss isn't very understanding lol but he'll get over it ha

Comment

You don't get a lunch break where you could run out and pick up a UTH and either a t-stat or rheostat/dimmer?

Comment

He'll be fine for a couple of hours. No reason to panic. A 72 degree ambient temp is low, but not hazardously so. It will affect digestion and it will affect feeding, but he'll be good until you get off work. Even if you need a day or two to deal with it, you're OK. I'd recommend a decent under tank heater (UTH) over any bulb style heater, including ceramic heat emitters. (CHE) A CHE will use a LOT of juice to keep running and then blow out in a few months tops. A UTH uses far less electricity and gives a direct contact heat source. Either option should be connected to a good thermostat to prevent over heating and burns.

-Sean in NoCal
          “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
          -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
            A UTH uses far less electricity and gives a direct contact heat source. Either option should be connected to a good thermostat to prevent over heating and burns.
            What [MENTION=7657]Pandorasdad[/MENTION] said. Not to mention a CHE positively SUCKS all the humidity from the area which is not good for animals that need it, snakes included.
            http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Working...
            X