Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not like this, silly!

Chinese tourist bitten by snake after trying to kiss it | gbtimes.com

She totally earned this bite, swooping in fast & scaring the poor snake & I so hope they didn't injure the snake trying to pull him off. I guess I need to make a "how to kiss your snake" video? LOL

Re: Not like this, silly!

"How to kiss a snake: Step 1.) Do not restrain the snake's head as it will make it jumpy."

Comment

And this is why I never, EVER allow my snakes to get in my face.

-Sean in NoCal
      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
        "How to kiss a snake: Step 1.) Do not restrain the snake's head as it will make it jumpy."
        Step 2. Don't kiss your snake
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by natieb View Post
          Step 2. Don't kiss your snake
          That was supposed to be step 10. "How not to get bit in the face by your pet snake when you try to kiss it in 10 easy steps."

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
            And this is why I never, EVER allow my snakes to get in my face.
            It's funny, I thought about this statement this evening when I was holding my largest female retic while my husband cleaned out her enclosure. At one point she came around the back my neck and checked out my ear and cheek before trying to use my glasses as a perch - which didn't work out so well.

I think if the snake is out, moving calmly, and not foody then it's not a big deal to have it investigate my face if it chooses to do so. That said, I'm not going to rush up to any animal, whether it knows me or not, and invade its space to play kissy face with it. That's just asking for a bite.

Comment

I agree with you (bcr_229)- there's a huge difference between lunging at a strange snake to touch it (never mind kiss it!) and allowing a relaxed snake that you know well near your face. Not saying it's perfectly
              "safe"...what in this life ever is? but the misguided Chinese tourist did everything wrong: she was not touching the snake at all, then came towards it suddenly & from some distance, startling it & causing it to bite
              in self-defense. Snakes aren't that visually-oriented & her sudden approach appeared to be an attack. It had neither her touch nor her scent to go on...really dumb! But she's probably blaming that 'evil snake'....

Comment

As one who handles my snakes with facial contact, I would add that it's a judgement call that is hopefully only made by those who are experienced and relaxed with their animals. It's no different than the way

other animals -such as horses & dogs- are interacted with, and it serves to show the snake that our faces are not something to fear. I am quite certain that I've avoided some panic-bites to my face over the

years by doing this and I will forever disagree with those who think that snakes are incapable of such learning or remembering. Snakes each have their own experiences to go by, and each one has a personality.

They also learn to be gently restrained by us (so I would disagree with post #2). I do however "draw the line" at any romantic involvement with your snakes (LOL!) & please, no French-kissing!

Seriously, our snakes have more to fear from OUR germs than we do from theirs, so if you cannot resist giving your snake a peck on the head, just please don't ever get your mouth near theirs.

Comment

Agree with Sean 100% on this. Consistently allowing your snakes to be around your face during handling is foolish, IMHO. Even one tiny anomaly can result in a painful new piercing, or worse yet, the loss of an eye. Why risk it?

RR_20 (Mike)

Comment

I think we each have to decide what we are personally comfortable with, and stick to that. If you ride horses, for example, there is an ever-present risk of injury too, yet many people continue to enjoy the activity,
                    and relatively few end up in the hospital or dead as a result. And if the determining factor is the risk of injury, why on earth are sports (like football & boxing) still so popular??? For that matter, how many of you
                    actually use protective eye goggles when you use power tools? -I do, but let's get real, it's the same thing.

Speaking for myself, I find that snakes are far MORE likely to bite when we keep some distance between us (leaving room for their misinterpretation due to sensory limitations) than when we keep them close, becoming
                    in essence a 'safe & warm shelter'. They do not reach a sense of comfort with us instantaneously, and handling success depends in part on our level of empathy & ability to read their body language, but if you never
                    or rarely handle your snake, how can you expect them to learn or to ever behave better?

I will agree though that handling a snake near your face should only be done by adults (if at all)...children/teens don't have the best experience, focus & judgement yet, as their brains are still forming.

Comment

Rationalize all you want, I disagree completely. It's just poor practice. I thought the whole point of this site was to educate new(er) keepers and promote proper husbandry, not rationalize potentially hazardous behavior. Guess not...

RR_20 (Mike)

Comment

Large snakes like boas are the most popular here, right? I see pictures all the time posted here in which the snake could easily reach the face of the person (adult or child) holding them, yet no one is wearing goggles
                        for safety. Maybe no one is 'safe' holding their snakes, since they can typically strike about half their body length? Just depends on how 'careful' you want to be? I am not going to re-state what I believe to be the
                        best for safe long-term handling of snakes, & we can agree to disagree. For anyone wishing absolute "safety", I suggest you keep no pets...in fact, you should lock yourself in a closet with padded walls, eh? But it's
                        gonna be a long DULL life!

Comment

Originally posted by Ridge Runner_20 View Post
                          I thought the whole point of this site was to educate new(er) keepers and promote proper husbandry, not rationalize potentially hazardous behavior.
                          This. This exactly.

You can rationalize what you're doing all you want. But don't pass it off as a good idea or a judgement call. Getting bitten on the face by a large boa can be very, very dangerous. I can't stop you from doing it, you're a grown up and all, but I can reiterate that letting any snake in your face is a bad, bad idea. The only one of my snakes that has ever bitten me (Not that others haven't tried.) has been the one that I know and trust the most. Because I made a mistake. It was only my wrist. I'd hate to think what could happen if I'd made that mistake with her close to my face.
                          Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                          For anyone wishing absolute "safety", I suggest you keep no pets
                          That's kinda silly. There is no such thing as absolute safety. With any animal. But that doesn't mean you go making reckless decisions that increase your chance of grievous and potentially disfiguring injury.

-Sean in NoCal
                          “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                          -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I do understand where you're coming from. The dangers are quite apparent in the video clip I posted, but I also thought it was a 'teachable moment' and I was obviously kidding about making a "how to" video.

Whether or not one is trying to kiss their snake on the head, it's not rare for our snakes to get near our face quite unintentionally. I offered my experience on the subject as food for thought & understanding,
                            not one-size-fits-all "advice". While I respect your opinion, I've never been bitten by a large boa and you have...so it seems you are coming from a place of fear rather than having an open mind. I understand.

We don't all have the same comfort zones...what a boring world if we did. You won't find me riding an ATV, with or without a helmet...heck, I don't even like freeways! But for every dangerous activity, there
                            are intelligent ways to mitigate the risks, including total abstinence. The woman in the video was clueless for the reasons I previously stated & her injuries looked quite painful...I don't think she'll do that again.

But since we know that intentional or otherwise, snake DO end up in people's faces, why not discuss it? When we were children, our parents said "don't play in the street!" (-& many other things-) but sooner
                            or later, we all end up "in the street". I consider myself to be a risk-avoider, not a risk-taker, but I keep animals because I enjoy the interaction with them...otherwise I'd have a collection of ceramic figurines.

P.S. In my opinion, it really WOULD be a GOOD IDEA to wear safety goggles when handling large boas & pythons. Or maybe a catcher's mask? If YOU'RE serious about safety, why not take the precaution???
                            No one's arms are long enough to keep a large snake away from their face...to me, that's silly!

Comment

But since we know that intentional or otherwise, snake DO end up in people's faces, why not discuss it?
                              We are. And I suspect will again. That's what makes this such a great place. We can discuss these things and remain calm and rational. (At least I try to. I don't always succeed. )
                              Or maybe a catcher's mask?
                              I have a few of these laying around, as my kid is a catcher. Even my large boa's head will fit through the eye slots, so the catcher's mask is out. A welder's mask maybe?

-Sean in NoCal
                              -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Working...
                              X