This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality Check! Future of RTB... monkey in the wrench

Well to add on to this discussion I would like to interject the following. In honor of our friend Erin, a "monkey in the wrench" as it were.

AND this is not to be an alarmist with the current Python Ban issue, but an honest look into the future.

So as our thread says "Say goodbye to RTBs.com", would the potential lack of boa/python sales and breeding mean an end to our community and forum family?

Should the python/boa ban become a reality, would our existing family of forum members want to continue in a more general pet focused community.

It is obvious that while we are boa focused, there are tons of interest in all animals and pets of all kinds.

Would it be logical for our forum family to continue in a more general "pet" focused forum?

Keeping in mind that everything here would remain. All member accounts, threads, topics etc. We would just restructure the forums/categories to be pet focused in general.

Reptile forums, Bird, Dog, Cat, etc etc

Special Interests and miscellaneous forums, such as we currently have, would continue and be added to.

So as paid members or sponsors of this site, I ask you to look at the future, in a world where the government takes away our boas/pythons to a large degree and halts trade as we know it, and decide if you would want to continue our family community and re-focus to be able to continue the fight that would surely follow to include pets of every possible breed and type.

My name is Clay English and I approve of this message
    To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
    -Clay English
    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Re: Reality Check! Future of RTB... monkey in the wrench

Originally posted by ClayEnglish View Post
    Well to add on to this discussion I would like to interject the following. In honor of our friend Erin, a "monkey in the wrench" as it were.

AND this is not to be an alarmist with the current Python Ban issue, but an honest look into the future.

So as our thread says "Say goodbye to RTBs.com", would the potential lack of boa/python sales and breeding mean an end to our community and forum family?

Should the python/boa ban become a reality, would our existing family of forum members want to continue in a more general pet focused community.

It is obvious that while we are boa focused, there are tons of interest in all animals and pets of all kinds.

Would it be logical for our forum family to continue in a more general "pet" focused forum?

Keeping in mind that everything here would remain. All member accounts, threads, topics etc. We would just restructure the forums/categories to be pet focused in general.

Reptile forums, Bird, Dog, Cat, etc etc

Special Interests and miscellaneous forums, such as we currently have, would continue and be added to.

So as paid members or sponsors of this site, I ask you to look at the future, in a world where the government takes away our boas/pythons to a large degree and halts trade as we know it, and decide if you would want to continue our family community and re-focus to be able to continue the fight that would surely follow to include pets of every possible breed and type.

My name is Clay English and I approve of this message

I'm sorry Clay but right now I can't allow myself to think of a life without
    my Boas and interstate sale/trade.

I don't believe this forum community should fold up and go away
    under any circumstance though !!

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

i agree with larry, but man...

i don't even wanna think about that right now

*edit* sorry that wasn't very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Boa Amarali View Post
        I'm sorry Clay but right now I can't allow myself to think of a life without
        my Boas and interstate sale/trade.

I don't believe this forum community should fold up and go away
        under any circumstance though !!
        Originally posted by dangles View Post
        i agree with larry, but man...

i don't even wanna think about that right now

*edit* sorry that wasn't very helpful
        I understand guys, I don't want to think about this either, but I do want to be prepared in any case, as things would require consideration and preparation on my part.

All I am wanting now is to think past something that worries us all sick, and think about what we should do. I just want to be ready for whatever best fits our community here.

Thanks for your feedback
        To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
        -Clay English
        Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Originally posted by ClayEnglish View Post
          I understand guys, I don't want to think about this either, but I do want to be prepared in any case, as things would require consideration and preparation on my part.

All I am wanting now is to think past something that worries us all sick, and think about what we should do. I just want to be ready for whatever best fits our community here.

Thanks for your feedback
          I think the forum should stay and morph to what ever the circumstances are. I to do not want to think so negative but worst case, I will stay on no matter what. We are all the same people and family in my opinion and to be honest, it might actually get nore hits if other pets are added to the forum. This will always be my # 1 forum and no matter if it morphs to something else or not, " I WILL ALWAYS KNOW IT AS RTB FORUM"

Thank you all for being so nice. I feel like I could trust all of you and that is saying alot.

Comment

I agree with all other posters on this one Clay. It hurts me badly to know that this can happen. I would hate to see OUR forum to go down the tubes because of the government officials.

No matter what, I AM RTB FOR LIFE!

Comment

yes. i would say keep it up and running. i wouldn't even change the name, actually (a small act of defiance, so-to-speak ).

if this poor excuse for "environmental protection" passes, i will be forced to choose another snake to work with (most likely blood pythons ), but i would HATE to not be able to come here for the good times and great advice i get from people.

clay, this is my first true "forum" experience, and it has been amazing. so i would say keep it running, regardless!

Comment

I would love to see this forum keep going no matter what, showing that we won't ever give up!

Comment

For sure Clay, I don't want the forum to go any where.
                  1 of the greatest things about this hobby and the forums are all the people. I've made alot of great friends over the years and I don't want to loose them or loose touch. Curently we already have the forums you speak of (cats dogs etc) maybe if we bring them to the top so there not so far down.
                  So to stop rambling I think the forum should stick around, I will continue to suport the forum the way I do until u say it's time to go.

Comment

I don't think you're being alarmist Clay. We may, or may not, see this legislation passed, but the issue isn't going away anytime soon. I'm afraid that at some point, legislation will be passed.

I think that proactively taking steps to ensure that our community survives is a wise choice.

This forum has definitely changed and expanded since I joined 4 years ago. Who would have thought then that we'd have an RTB Cooking Forum?

I think expanding the forum to be even more inclusive of other interests/topics would be a good idea in general. Even if the ban does not pass, the more members we might attract due to non-reptile topics can only benefit the forum, and indeed may help our cause by exposing non-reptile enthusiasts to our hobby in the process. In other words, widening our base may well strengthen it.

The two downsides I see are this:

A) diluting the core purpose of the forum. Will we lose members if the forum becomes more focused on mammals for example?

B) Seeing divisions form among members because of topics/subjects the forum embraces. Politics being the obvious example, although we've handled those differences extremely well, the potential for true falling-outs to happen is real. But it wouldn't have to be that obvious, the issue of declawing cats is becoming a fairly nasty debate within that community. So, vigilance would be needed to stem harsh exchanges.

Personally, I see those risks as relatively small, while the possible benefits are much larger.
                    "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

Clay, I understand what you are saying. If something really bad happens and we lose this fight, should our relationships end with each other? We take pride in calling ourselves a family but if boas are not part of that family, does our family ties end? I don't think it should. I agree that we should continue this forum. We do talk about everything here, from sicknesses, politics, animals from all walks of life, spiders, insects, to our personal lives. That is the one thing that ban can't take away but could if we let it. So, I Star Shaffer, approve of Clay's message.

Star

Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

Comment

Althought the forum covers an enormous range of topics, I think the thing to keep in mind is that it has always (at least from what I can surmise) been centered around the Ultimate Care Guide and the wealth of husbandry knowledge shared by all of the experienced keepers on the forum.

If there was no capacity for interstate commerce, the Classifieds, Clay and Jeff's sites, and a thousand other breeders' e-commerce scenarios would be basically devastated, but this site remains probably the #1 resource for people with questions about cage/heating/feeding/breeding/illness/behavior and everything else about the care of boas. I think as long as all of those resources are still available, then this site will continue to be an asset to the community. I also do not believe that the inability to purchase boas from out of state will chase away all of the dedicated regulars to the site, the camaraderie, and the off-topic silliness. I could see it evolving to a more general reptile-oriented board if the worst case scenario actually happens. Maybe this whole S373 is orchestrated by the big chameleon interests, trying to get us all to subscribe to their sinister arboreal weird-eyed long-tounged way of life.
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't personally see myself ever posting about my dogs or cats even though I am a big cat lover but I don't just have boas and pythons though they are the majority. I have a corn and since my kingsnake died I've been itching to get a new one. I'm also looking in to lizards... I know a lot of people here have turtles, frogs, lizards, and non python/boas (a lot have corns) so I know I will still have a reason to come. There's still much [for me] to learn from the people here.

I've only been here a short while but there's only 3 or 4 other forums I visit on the entire internet (and they are not animal related) so I would hate for things to totally sour here but I don't think it will happen.

But like I said, I don't know about others but I don't think I'd be posting about anything non-reptile related... but I don't see a problem with there being those options here (there are now already anyways).

Not sure if that's what you wanted to hear.

Comment

If S373 eventually becomes a law that would not necessarily affect the forum at all. We will all still have our snakes, we will all still be able to breed our snakes, we will be able to sell snakes (albiet in a much more limited market) and we will be able to talk about our snakes.

The only thing that may have to change is we may choose not to post a thread publicly saying, "Hey look what I just got from The Boaphile who lives 5 states away from me!" We do not necessarily even have to avoid that; it would be up to both parties involved how open they want to be about their defiance of the law and if they choose to defy it.

There are plenty of discussion groups and forums out there that discuss blatantly illegal activity and all they do is act like they themselves are not doing or suggesting that someone else do the activity.

Nothing said in a public forum such as this can be used as evidence. The only potentially negative consequence for someone saying openly about interstate boa trade would be that someone in authority might be paying attention and they could choose to start an investigation into your activities. The fact that there are currently zero resources allocated to pursuing and prosecuting such an investigation indicates that this will very rarely happen.

I personally have no qualms about saying here that I have no intention of obeying this law if it is enacted. I also believe that we the Reptile Nation will accomplish our purpose of either crushing this legislation or amending it to something that will allow us to continue doing what we do.

Comment

Clay,

add a couple more ultimate care guides for a couple more species of reptiles...No Bunny's or ferrets or poodles...Keep it reptile...

add a section to search for breeders by state and that's it...

this ban will not stop us from keeping Boas..just not buying them from other states...change around your keywords a little so when some one is looking for a python or a boa in Florida or California your on the top. the truth is I dont think the bill will be passed but if it does...then it does...

and everyone from breeders to keepers will have to adjust to it

Comment

Working...
                              X