Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Nigerian 419 SCAM. SELLERS MUST READ. Important information.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nigerian 419 SCAM. SELLERS MUST READ. Important information.

I have received many emails recently concerning what appears to be a "too-good-to-be-true" offer to buy snakes. And many other similar type emails.

The Nigerian 419 SCAM is widely published on the internet and emails concerning "I have to distribute 45,000,000 dollars for my sick uncle" are all to common in our daily junk mail. However these scammers are now working on much smaller scales.

The story is always similar to this. "I saw your ad for the "snake". I want to buy him, but need to send the moneys from one of my friends."

At this point the amount of the cashiers check will be for an amount above any actual cost of the actual snake. What they are wanting you to do in most cases is to send the "difference" in funds to them, all the while keeping your price of the snake, out of the total. But out of their extreme generosity they also want to give you more money for the hassle.

Trouble is, these "authentic" looking cashier's checks are worthless. Many people get these checks, deposit them into their bank. Send their own funds to these people.. to find out from the bank in a few days that the check was a fraud.

So anyway, these scammers do NOT just pick on the elderly senior citizens like most of the scams. They are right here in our favorite industry.

Be cautious in everything. If you are interested in reading more, there is a ton online. Just search for Nigerian Scam in your google search.

Here is one of the main links.
    The Nigerian Scam Defined

A Secret Service Link to the Nigerian 419 Scam
    To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
    -Clay English
    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Re: The Nigerian 419 SCAM. SELLERS MUST READ. Important information.

Thanks Clay for posting this. For some people who don't know about this scam, have been victoms.

For a better note, I have played there games back at them. I would keep them going to get the check, and send the check to my bank and tell them to give the check to there superviser for them to give to the police. A few people actully collect these checks. You figure, they have to spend money to send a check in the mail.

Comment

I've seen that email also. More than once.

It appears to be some money laundry scheme.
      Thanks for the warning. Some people may fall for it. It's best brought to the public eye.

Ciao,
      Rick

Comment

i got this about 3 years ago. but it was from a guy in louisiana and he had printed a fake bank check. it passed all of the security things at the bank but there was just no account on it. so yeah i used that money to buy a car and now i have a car and I lost a ton of money. so yeah. any way i get thopse emails on a daily basis.

Comment

Yeah I just recieved an email along those line just 2 days ago. Accept he "a bank director in Africa" But with an Austrailan email acct. DUH" wanted someone to split 60/40% of 2million, of someone who "died" in a plane crash and had the funds in an acct. in Africa, but they could not find in kin to the victim of the plane crash. So they want you to act as next to kin for 40%. My self knew it was to good to be true, lol. But I really appreciate the post, the Secret Service link was Great also, to find out what all scams they are trying.

Thanks Again!

Sincerely,
          Gary A.K.A. "SnakeCharmer"

Comment

I think i've got a scammer. I'm selling my camera on ebay with a starting price of $215 and no bids. I just got this question about it. BTW this camera new is between $300-350.

Dear Valuable Seller, I am Dr Nathan Cole.Regarding the advert you placed on eBay, which I happened to be very much interested in and I'm ready to buy it from you.I'm making an offer of 470.00 USD for the item plus shipping fee.I want you to get back to me if this offer is okay with you,i want shipment through USPS Global Express mail service 3-4days only, because the package will be shipped to my store in Nigeria. !!! Please go to www.ups.com. . I will make payment through International Moneygram. Kindly reply today as I hope to have a mutual long lasting business Relationship with you.I'll be glad if u end the auction on me.send me your personal email address so i can contact you later and also i need your name,address,city,zip code,state,country,tel# e-mail address to make payment for the item.Thank you for your anticipated co-operation

What do you think, scammer? I do!!

Comment

First He demands.............
              shipment through USPS Global Express mail service 3-4days only

than provides you with a link to a different agency..... www.ups.com

Plus an offer of more than twice what you are asking.

I think you are smart enough to add this one up. LOL

Rick

Comment

I've gotten a bunch of those emails recently also.

But I've also gotten a few of the third party fund transfer scam emails also.

In these, a "foreign company" wants to do business in the US, but for whatever reason, can't collect fees in the US. So they want you to recieve the funds, deposit them in YOUR bank account, which you'll of course have to give them access to, so they can withdraw their "fees" from your account. It's a big time money laundering scheme, and of course, they take all your money in the process too.

Because I'm in real estate, another one I've got to be careful of is foreign nationals trying to buy houses either with cash or with loans from foreign banks. Most of the time the money is actually from a drug cartel running through a bank in the bahamas. They buy a house here in the US with the money, sell it six months later, and the money is clean.
                "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

I thought something didn't seem right about this guy. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Yeah .....I was looking for a second job working from home and I got a e-mail saying I got the job and my job was to cash these checks at my bank and take 30% and send the rest to this company I would be working for in France. They sent me 5 fraud checks worth $800. They looked totally real, and I was so naive about it. I had to deposite the checks in my account and leave it until it was cleared, but they gave me $100 upfront from them. I had to pay back the $100 and then another fee for depositing them. I was pissed! I lost like $180.....a lesson I'll never forget.

Comment

They tried that on me a few years ago on KS.I had an adult female Col. Rainbow for sale,they were going to send me a check for $10,000.Didn't take me too long to figure it out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4"VeronicaMars" View Post
                        Yeah .....I was looking for a second job working from home and I got a e-mail saying I got the job and my job was to cash these checks at my bank and take 30% and send the rest to this company I would be working for in France. They sent me 5 fraud checks worth $800. They looked totally real, and I was so naive about it. I had to deposite the checks in my account and leave it until it was cleared, but they gave me $100 upfront from them. I had to pay back the $100 and then another fee for depositing them. I was pissed! I lost like $180.....a lesson I'll never forget.

If ever this happens in the future. You can call your bank, and give them the info on the check, and they'll run it through for free and let you know if it's a legit check or not. Sorry you had to pay the price.

I have one of those worthless $8,000 checks on my wall from an attempted scam on me.

Comment

i am glad to be able to hear about this on hear than have to run across it in the future.

Comment

Working...
                          X