• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boa Amarali
    RTB Staff / Global Moderator
    • Aug 2003

Re: The Great Florida Python Hunt...

Originally posted by BoigaBoid
    There goes Larry spouting off unrealistic claims of burmese python numbers based on nothing more than his best guess and "common sense".

I'm sorry you disagree with me on this subject . . . to be honest we did the Math on another forum and it was back in 2009 I believe . .

I don't have those numbers in front of me . .

but it was obvious there could have never been a population of 5000 or more Pythons in the Glades . . .

How many have they found they were posting number for a long time over the years and the to tal never amounted a pinch of

Again what population is in this hunt do you even know ? Are they hunting in the Park or around the borders ?
    I admit I don't know what population is involved in this so called "Python Hunt" because honestly
    the science has been so sketchy and falsified that I'm having a hard time caring about the
    subject anymore.The only thing I do know is that the facts seem to have been convoluted
    and distorted so egregiously that I can't give credence to any of the Hype !

I do know out of the thousands of acres of Park there is comparatively very little acceptable habitat for these burms to inhabit . . . .

I'm not gonna ask for numbers from you because I'm not going to expend the energy to dig up any facts to support my view . . .

We can agree to disagree I guess but saying the Park is over run with even possibly thousands
    of Burmese Pythons at this point seems incredibly ridiculous to me . .

So go ahead believe the ridiculous Hype and the fabricated science it's your right to fall for it hook, line and Sinker !

Originally posted by DownSouthSnakes
    I don't really want to get into this because last time this came up it didnt go very well, because some people assumptions are way off of base as is the case once again, first ill start by saying the majority of the problem is in Everglades national park and the fact that you can only hunt in areas that are all north and mostly very far north of Everglades national park, it's no shock to me the numbers are low. So to say there's less than a hundred in Everglades national park due to only 11 being killed is way off base considering those 11 most likely were caught where you don't typically see them. Which in my eyes means the problem is obviously worse than you are assuming sice that shows they are spreading, the farthest I've seen one from Everglades national park is about 55 miles north and most of the hunting area is more north than that all the way to the palm beach county line. So hearing the numbers from this hunt can be very misleading. It's like having a key deer hunt and saying you can only hunt them out of the keys when they aren't really out of the keys, maybe just maybe you might find a couple around florida city but highly unlikely then basing an opinion on the population by those numbers. But I'm done that's all I have to say and won't say another thing about it as I'm sure once again people that have no clue besides what they read will argue with me when once again I live here and see it first hand and know these areas and have spent the majority of my life in these areas. I even know people that actually live in the Everglades, people that own camps in the Everglades, stilted houses in the middle of the Everglades, but of course I don't know what I'm talking about.
    OK somebody who actually knows something about the Hunt and where it is actually taking place
    thankyou for contributing some real information . .

I sure wasn't going to dig up this info on a subject I'm actually burned out on . . .

Thankyou this is part of my point . .

The rest of my point is that the Everglades proper still can't support the numbers that were thrown around by the media
    and said to be fact by the Rodda , Reed Report . . . . . . it was impossible . . . . . .

My saying that there are 100 or less burms in the EverGlades proper is not fact based . . . . . .
    it's a response based on years of hearing hype and lies.

I'm not BS-ing when I say the Rhodda & Reed report was pretty much baseless . . . . . . .

Because we now know there are reports that have proven this to be the case the Rhodda & Reed report
    used incorrect numbers in many areas of the report
    . . .

I really do not believe there are very many burms moving in the Everglades but there is a population in there and I'm pretty
    certain it's going to stay there because it's a protected studied species now . . . . . .

So the Hunt again is actually all a bunch of Hype . . . . . . . that's my point in the end !

Sorry Larry for singling you out. But I stand by my statements. This is a forum devoted to helping people learn information about the hobby, husbandry and reptile news. Perpetuating your own unscientific conclusions about this topic is equally as misleading as the scientists you chastise who claim insanely high python numbers. Everyone has their own opinion, and you can choose not to believe the facts that are out there. But if you're going to post information that is directly contradictory to 99% of the information already obtained, please post a link to substantiate your claim.

I feel as though everyone reading this would be (should be) equally upset if someone was posting clearly false information on boa husbandry and would just as quickly jump in to correct things....although I admit, perhaps in a more tactful way.

No problem these discussions can get heated with personal feelings and I understand you have a right to your position . .

I accept your apology and I apologize if I offended you . . . . .

Like I said above I've become burned out on this subject due to the lies and hype that were perpetuated
    for a long time and hurt our hobby badly !
    Last edited by Boa Amarali; 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM.

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

• dumboa
      ColdBlooded!
      • Apr 2009

I figured you wouldn't respond with any facts.

Edit: And here's an interesting one. Shawn Heflick, president of the Central Florida Herpetological Society "From being on the ground and in the field with these animals, myself and others believe that the true number is closer to between 5,000 to 10,000 animals. The 100,000 plus numbers are inflated and sensationalized by politicians and some of the local media, but no one has the real answer to exactly how many are out there."

No sense in trying to have some sort of factual debate when all one side has is an opinion. I'm out....
      I had already responded with "opinion". And we both agree the ONLY fact is that there are Burms in the Everglades.
      Again, being an internet warrior doesnt get you anywhere...meaning going around trying to fix, correct, or call out people, does nothing to help move the conversation forward. It just makes you look like someone trying to pick a fight....ON THE INTERNET.
      This is not an attack, its advice. I have disagreed with many people... and gotten extremely upset, I log out and unplug from the topic. I suggest that for all people. One day you may actually meet some of these people and wouldnt it be cool to have a beer with a fellow herper or start throwing blows. I would rather have a beer...(even though i dont drink). :beer:

Thank you DownSouth for the good information.
      I hope we can all just agree that the numbers are not worth fighting over, even if we all disagree. Its purely SPECULATION, on everyones part... even the science.
      Have a wonderful day Boigaboid. You have given GREAT peaceful comments on many other threads. This topic I believe is something that riles you up more than anyone else... which is why i suggest just taking a deep breath stop calling people out in an argumentative way. I honestly dont care about the Burms in the glades. They are there and there is NOTHING we can do about it. Except maybe control the population.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• AaronZav
        Snake Maniac
        • Apr 2011

This has got to be the most fear driven debates/issues I have ever seen. There are so many "invasive" species all over the world, but this one has taken off like crazy mostly because they are SNAKES. Sure there are pythons living in Florida, number unknown by anyone, sure they are eating native wildlife, but so are a lot of other things down there. If you google invasive species of Florida, there are actually a ton of invasive species, plants, mammals, reptiles, fish, snails etc. Im sure these species are effecting native fauna/flora as well, but they are not SNAKES so it is not national news material. Its crazy. Im going to organize a florida everglades melaluca tree hunt, me and a bunch of lumberjacks are gonna go do some work on the out of control population of melaluca trees in the everglades and while we are at it, we are gonna eat all the asiatic clams we can find to fuel our lumberjackness. We will sleep on beds of carpet ferns that we find since they are taking over too and when we are done we will have a suckermouth catfish fry to keep those numbers in check! Oh wait, none of those have been huge issues so I guess I will have to hype it up a bit first so that people start worrying about the clams taking over the world! HAHAHAHA Ok, Im done being dumb, just trying to bring a little light to the topic. I really believe that there is way too much hype behind all of this. Is it a problem, sure, we would rather not have something there that is not supposed to be, but it has been taken waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion with pretty crazy claims and irrational fear. goodbye!

Comment

• dumboa
          ColdBlooded!
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by AaronZav
          This has got to be the most fear driven debates/issues I have ever seen. There are so many "invasive" species all over the world, but this one has taken off like crazy mostly because they are SNAKES. Sure there are pythons living in Florida, number unknown by anyone, sure they are eating native wildlife, but so are a lot of other things down there. If you google invasive species of Florida, there are actually a ton of invasive species, plants, mammals, reptiles, fish, snails etc. Im sure these species are effecting native fauna/flora as well, but they are not SNAKES so it is not national news material. Its crazy. Im going to organize a florida everglades melaluca tree hunt, me and a bunch of lumberjacks are gonna go do some work on the out of control population of melaluca trees in the everglades and while we are at it, we are gonna eat all the asiatic clams we can find to fuel our lumberjackness. We will sleep on beds of carpet ferns that we find since they are taking over too and when we are done we will have a suckermouth catfish fry to keep those numbers in check! Oh wait, none of those have been huge issues so I guess I will have to hype it up a bit first so that people start worrying about the clams taking over the world! HAHAHAHA Ok, Im done being dumb, just trying to bring a little light to the topic. I really believe that there is way too much hype behind all of this. Is it a problem, sure, we would rather not have something there that is not supposed to be, but it has been taken waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion with pretty crazy claims and irrational fear. goodbye!
          Lol, nice post. My sentiment exactly. :beer:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Jonathan Brady
            Snake Maniac
            • Jul 2008

Im going to organize a florida everglades melaluca tree hunt, me and a bunch of lumberjacks are gonna go do some work on the out of control population of melaluca trees in the everglades and while we are at it, we are gonna eat all the asiatic clams we can find to fuel our lumberjackness. We will sleep on beds of carpet ferns that we find since they are taking over too and when we are done we will have a suckermouth catfish fry to keep those numbers in check!
            Most hilarious thing I've read here in a while! I tried to give you rep for it, but apparently I need to spread my rep lovin' around a little because it denied me! I guess I just like too many of your posts. When you're done in the Everglades, move to Sarasota so we can hang out!

jb

Comment

• Pandorasdad
              RTB Staff / Global Moderator
              • Apr 2008

[MENTION=13921]AaronZav[/MENTION]
              Dude, that was awesome. Don't forget to hunt the feral cats too.

-Sean in NoCal
              “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
              -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

• AaronZav
                Snake Maniac
                • Apr 2011

[MENTION=8156]Jonathan Brady[/MENTION] , Hahah, thanks for the effort on the reps. I would love to hang out in Sarasota, but not sure if they consider Californians in Florida an invasive species? On a serious note, I need to get out that way, have some other swamp people out there to visit too, pretty sad that I have traveled around the world and never been to Florida.

Comment

• AaronZav
                  Snake Maniac
                  • Apr 2011

[MENTION=7657]Pandorasdad[/MENTION] and................The air potato, the Brazilian pepper, the good ole water lettuce, the leather leaf, the Australian Pine, the carrotwood, the evil weevil, the apple snail, the walking catfish, the mayan cichlid, the Israeli tilapia, the purple swamphen, the common myna, the black rat! Wait a dang second, lets back up a few. A WALKING FREAKIN CATFISH????
                  And these people are worried about a Burmese Python? PSHHHHH. A Walking Catfish would make a way better Sci-Fi flick/media scare!

Comment

• BoigaBoid
                    Snake Maniac
                    • Jun 2011

The story of burms in ENP has no doubt been sensationalized. Who wants to read about invasive fauna when there are 16 FOOT BURMS ON THE LOOSE ERMAHGERD! lol but in all seriousness, invasive species in general get me riled up. While not all invasives pose a dire threat to their new environment, most do. And when people fail to control the problem we end up with just a shadow of previous ecosystems. I remember reading about the bighead carp just a few months ago and how it threatened to ruin the entire Great Lakes fishery. I'm a HUGE outdoorsman (hunting, fishing, camping etc etc) and these sort of things just don't sit right with me.

So I apologize for the animosity I've presented in this thread and some others.

Edit: And just to clarify my position on this specific topic, I do not believe the hype that there are hundreds of thousands of burms in the 'glades. However, the links I posted early have shown that there is a significant population of at LEAST hundreds of individuals. Specifically, the collection rates of burms which has increased the past decade peaking at over 300 in one year. Clearly you can't have a population of less than 100 and collect over 300 per year.

I'm on vacation the next few days so peace guys!

Comment

• DownSouthSnakes
                      Snake Maniac
                      • Mar 2012

Now we are speaking the same language! I'm down for some camping and living off the land!

Comment

• tsblair
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2008

You forgot about the moonshine you can make from the sugar cane fields in the ENP from the lands the government has sold.... Would that be called rumshine?

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

• THESURFER
                          Snake Lover
                          • Oct 2009

So, how about them 49ers eh??

Comment

Working...