Re: Snakes in the news....AGAIN

...and another...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/mi...420-story.html
    Last edited by zamora; 04-21-2016, 07:35 AM. Reason: changed link
    http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Miami drivers. I refuse to enter Miami-Dade county unless I absolutely have to. Usually in a train.

Why would they kill the snake? They said they identified it as a harmless grey rat. Just take it outside and let it go. They are taking all those measures to make sure that snakes wont enter the school any more, does that mean they are also making sure they wont have a rat issue?

Comment

"...take combative actions" over a harmless snake in the ceiling (-who, by the way, should have sued the school for injury from an unsafe ceiling!?) OMG, people are stupid! If only a snake would land on MY desk!

And then to PAY to have some fool spray TOXIC* "snake repellent" (*likely paradichlorobenzene, ie. moth crystals) around their children???? How totally pathetic! Very ironic in a place of "learning" too...(head bang!)

Comment

Reminds me of this story from January.
          Family threatens lawsuit after snake bites bot at Disney's Animal Kingdom, grandmother dies - CBS News

The real story is that it was a wild rat snake in a --shocker -- wildlife park. It fell out of the tree and was scared. The boy thought it was fake and went and poked it and it bit him. He was treated with soap and warm water, neosporin and a bandaid. The grandmother died 2 days later ("short time") in the hospital in her mid to late 80's. She was on oxygen the day of the incident and was in the parks for close to 7 hours in the sun.

Comment

...The real story is that it was a wild rat snake in a --shocker -- wildlife park. It fell out of the tree and was scared. The boy thought it was fake and went and poked it and it bit him. He was treated with soap and warm water, neosporin and a bandaid. The grandmother died 2 days later ("short time") in the hospital in her mid to late 80's. She was on oxygen the day of the incident and was in the parks for close to 7 hours in the sun.
            Some people should just stay home in a rubber room...

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
              Some people should just stay home in a rubber room...
              I'm surprised they weren't investigated for elder abuse. I wouldn't force anyone who is on oxygen to go to theme parks, much less keep them out there for 7 hours. Is one tank even enough to last 7 hours? I will admit I don't know much about what requires use of oxygen and for how long it is needed.

Comment

People are dumb. It makes me sad.

-Sean in NoCal
                “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
                  I'm surprised they weren't investigated for elder abuse. I wouldn't force anyone who is on oxygen to go to theme parks, much less keep them out there for 7 hours. Is one tank even enough to last 7 hours? I will admit I don't know much about what requires use of oxygen and for how long it is needed.
                  I suspect that the 'elder' in question wanted to be there with family...but ALL should have known better, as it's physically taxing for someone that age & on oxygen, just asking for trouble! For that matter, a
                  close call in traffic on the way there or going home after could just as easily had the same outcome. It was an 'accident waiting to happen'...and trying to sue the park is just 'greed', IMO.

Comment

Oops, having trouble getting the link to work for a beautiful carpet python found in an Aussie kitchen after a big meal* & safely relocated to a wooded area by caring experts...
                    definitely the RIGHT way to treat company. (*They're guessing it was either a possum or the neighbor's cat, shh!) -from Sunshine Coast Snake Catchers 24/7...nice work if you can get it.

Here ya go: https://youtu.be/B-YBF7zzAZw This made me giggle, the near-futility of steering a snake into a tree trunk at the end... wish all had happy endings like this one!

Comment

Not sure what to think of this one. Miccosukee Tribe puts halt to python research on tribal land - Sun Sentinel
                      Mixed feelings. They feel the snakes are sacred and will not allow researchers to observe them but will still kill them. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
                        but will still kill them. Shouldn't it be the other way around?
                        No. The pythons shouldn't be there. I have zero problem with them being eradicated to the extent that it is possible.

-Sean in NoCal
                        “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                        -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
                          No. The pythons shouldn't be there. I have zero problem with them being eradicated to the extent that it is possible.
                          I agree. We need to protect our native wildlife & their ecosystems from invasive species. Which should apply equally, by the way, to all roaming cats, whether 'pets' or feral, as they
                          kill billions of birds, reptiles & mammals every year. It's unacceptable...there are no other domestic animals allowed to roam, pollute & do as they please while trespassing...it's time
                          we speak up & put a stop to it instead of looking the other way. And cat feces carry very real health risks to humans as well as our other pets (-that actually BELONG in our yards).

Back to non-native snakes on the loose, it's never ok. Same as cats, we can't have it both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
                            The pythons shouldn't be there. I have zero problem with them being eradicated to the extent that it is possible.
                            No, I mean that they feel the snakes are sacred so they will still kill them but refuse to allow researchers to observe them. If they are sacred, wouldn't that mean they would allow observation but no extermination? The way they are now doing it is the second worst way to go about it. Worst way would be to stop all observation and removal.

I don't care about the pythons as much as other introduced species. The pythons can eat adult prey which is harmful but they cannot eat very often nor are they able to find food regularly. Tegu on the other hand will wipe out an entire nest of eggs once a week and they are good at finding the nests. Feral cats (only near people but people are everywhere) also do significant damage to migratory bird and small bird populations. Tegus and feral cats have been known to prey on endangered bird and rats and other small mammals where so far the pythons are only confirmed on eating invasive rats, non-threatened wading birds, small to medium sized mammals, young deer, small to medium sized reptiles, and a couple instances of endangered rat or endangered rabbit. It is possible that they might eat more endangered wildlife but it hasn't been confirmed -- we need more research which is not being allowed any more for a bizarre reason on that one reserve of 83,200 acres.

Comment

With invasive species of any kind, it's not just about what they eat (& hooray for all the pythons eating cats in Florida! LOL) but it's also that they COMPETE with native wildlife for food and space.

They can also carry diseases to which native wildlife has no previous contact with & therefore they have no resistance. Cats have the added "bonus" of spreading not only fleas & parasites but also all
                              sorts of diseases that may sicken humans too, including rabies, toxoplasmosis & cryptosporidiosis, unlike the irrationally-hated snakes. In short, all invasive species make a mess out of our natural world.

And to be clear, I love pets of all kinds...but they belong in homes, never roaming. Cats are charming pets, when KEPT as pets. Loose, they are subject to injury, poison, predators, diseases & people
                              who are totally sick of them, besides harming our wildlife, so why would anyone who "cares about their pet" let them roam?

Comment

Working...
                              X