Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are red tailed Boas worth more the bigger they get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noelle7206
    replied
    Re: Are red tailed Boas worth more the bigger they get?

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
    Another consideration is that the more homes a snake has had as it ages, the more opportunities there have been for it to pick up a disease - some of which can lay dormant for many months. I know a few people who only buy hatchlings or neonates direct from the breeder to help ensure that their collection stays clean.
    For sure! A very important consideration especially if you have more than one snake or plan to, though sometimes it's not only petstores selling adult or sub-adult snakes. Some breeders later decide to part with their 'hold-backs'.

Leave a comment:

• bcr_229
    replied

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
    I've heard petstores try to justify their prices by saying that it cost them SO much more (in rodents!) to raise them to the size they are now selling, but all too often, they are just RE-selling an unwanted pet, lol.
    LOL good point, like they've had that snake it's whole life and they're just getting around to selling it.

Another consideration is that the more homes a snake has had as it ages, the more opportunities there have been for it to pick up a disease - some of which can lay dormant for many months. I know a few people who only buy hatchlings or neonates direct from the breeder to help ensure that their collection stays clean.

Leave a comment:

• Noelle7206
    replied

It's not a simple answer:
    First, consider that all young snakes (newly born or hatched) have a greater risk of mortality as they are very fragile at that stage & may also have defects that will show up soon enough, so you might see a "great deal"
    on just born-snakes (or just hatched)....the seller is passing that risk onto you. (& they may have had trouble in the past that they are trying to circumvent)

As snakes get past the early stages, they are both appealing (still small) yet stronger & have lived long enough to show any deformities*, so for many that's an ideal time to buy them...from several months to a year+ in age.
    (*to give you an example of what can -rarely!- go wrong, a snake might be born/hatched with no cloacal opening & thus be unable to survive...or they might have an abnormally narrow digestive tract that limits their growth.)

With snakes that get very large, many owners want the chance to work with them & really know them well before they are so intimidating, while another person may well want a breedable size snake.
    Many people get them small, only to find out it's more work or expense than they planned on, or other circumstances change that makes them want or need to re-home them, so finding adults for sale isn't rare.

I've heard petstores try to justify their prices by saying that it cost them SO much more (in rodents!) to raise them to the size they are now selling, but all too often, they are just RE-selling an unwanted pet, lol.

Leave a comment:

• bcr_229
    replied

To answer your question, I would say that unless it's a morph that would interest a breeder, the answer is 'No'. I've seen commons advertised for less than hatchlings, usually about the time they outgrow their tanks and need an upgrade to a real reptile enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• Are red tailed Boas worth more the bigger they get?

My name is Mike, I have a 4ft red tailed Bo, and a 3ft ball Python. I am new to owning snake's.
Working...
X