Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Oklahoma

Hello,

My name is Zach, I recently bought a red tail boa and named him Harvey. My first few says on the site I have read the guide and the care sections. So I thought it was finally time to introduce myself.

Here is Harvey,

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Since having Harvey and reading everything on here, I seem to be the cliche first time owner. I bought the starter pack and even the RTB from Petco. Since being on here, my girlfriend and I have changed quite a bit to the initial
    start up kit.

[IMG][/IMG]

This immediately started with changing the temp and humidity gauge to a digital one with a more accurate reading. We bought Harvey all new dishes and hide, logs etc.) I did plenty of reading about why not to buy at a commercial chain and I inspected Harvey for the signs of RI and mites etc. So far he has checked out and went through a full shed. He was already in his initial shed cycle when we purchased him. I am pleased to say that for the most part his shed was 1 piece except for a 3 inch section by his tail which seems to have separated when he was moving around his hide.

I look forward to reading more on this site and I am happy to be apart of the community.

Thanks,

Zach

Re: Hello from Oklahoma

Welcome! The glass starter kit will work for a while, but I'd start saving up for a good reptile specific cage ASAP. Boaphile Plastics and Animal Plastics are the ones I see most used lately. I myself am a Boaphile guy.

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Very nice I would look up pro-line cages By ED lilly much better cages for your boa.welcome to the boa club.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxingboa View Post
        Very nice I would look up pro-line cages By ED lilly much better cages for your boa.welcome to the boa club.
        Will do man, and thanks!

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
          Welcome! The glass starter kit will work for a while, but I'd start saving up for a good reptile specific cage ASAP. Boaphile Plastics and Animal Plastics are the ones I see most used lately. I myself am a Boaphile guy.
          I really like the 48 x 24 x 15. I appreciate you posting the links!

-Zach

Comment

Welcome to RTB, Zach!

Always nice to have another Okie aboard.
            "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the forums zach! Nice looking boa, that's also a nice starter kit. Until you invest on better caging for your boa, put some aluminum foil or a towel on top of the cage lid, or holds the humidity very well. It work well for me, till I got the proper housing for my snakes.
              sigpicJrock23

Comment

We are using a towel and it's doing a fantastic job. I have to put a shout out to the petco reptile section employee. His name was Tim and he was quite knowledgeable and he was the one that told me about this site. Honestly without the info he gave me and the confidence he had in the rtb I was getting, I probably never would have my new family member. I know pet chains get a bad rap but the one close to my house has fellow rtb.com members working at it.

-Zach

Comment

Hey, This is Tim! Glad to see you posting on here, and glad to see such a great setup for the little guy. So happy that he's doing well with you guys and I look forward to seeing him again. I agree with reptile enthusiasts that chains are usually bad news. I'm hoping to keep the store I work at one of those exceptions. Bring Harvey in sometime, I'd love to say hi.

Comment

Working...
                  X