Hi guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys

Hi everyone. I've been around snakes since my brother kept a garter snake when we were kids, and always thought they were pretty great.

I hadn't really had an opportunity to be around them much until recently, when I got a chance to spend some time with my brother's red tailed boa, and I think I've caught the bug, as they say..

He almost gave me his (they don't have much time for him anymore) but changed his mind at the last minute, which is fine, so now I can take my time getting a good setup and doing even more research than I have been.

I'm pretty excited to get started, though I'll be starting (and maybe staying, we'll see) small. The plastic enclosures sound great, and there are so many beautiful colorations to choose from..

Looking forward to learning from you folks. Nice to meet you all.

Re: Hi guys

Welcome to the forums! Feel free to peruse and ask all the questions you can!

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

You're off to a good start, having a chance to spend time with your brother's boa first, before getting one yourself. Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by DesertWolf View Post
        The plastic enclosures sound great, and there are so many beautiful colorations to choose from..
        Colors of cages? The only cages I've seen are black or white.

I try to say often that boas are not for most people because of their size. They usually have great tempers and personalities and are animals you can interact with unlike some other exotics. They are even low maintenance once you get everything set up perfect and just keep monitoring.

The size is the catch. 15 or 17 year old female and 9' about 50 pounds. You should have a second person around with one this big.

There are plenty of smaller animals that also are good pets.

Comment

Many Mexican and Central American locality boas stay small, though they can be very flighty and nippy when young. Fortunately mine all grew out of that stage before their teeth got too big.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
            Many Mexican and Central American locality boas stay small
            Unless they come from a pure line with paperwork to prove it (I.E. from Vin Russo or likewise) it would be safer to assume they will get full South American size or at the very least need the same cage as one. The smaller BCI boas have the same energy as the bigger ones but have smaller bodies to move. If you're confident in your ability to handle large snakes and are willing to do everything in your power to ensure they have a long happy life, there is no reason not to get one. Remember that there are silly and pointless laws specifically around boas because they are large snakes and their name sounds scary. Some homeowner/ renter insurances refuse to cover you, local laws, etc.

Smaller boas which aren't boa constrictors could be something like a rainbow boa (advanced keeping due to climate needs), kenyan sand boas (sausage snakes), and pythons like ball pythons, blood pythons, and carpet pythons. Some species of carpet python do get larger than the other. I don't know much about them other than one in my herp society is 10' and 25 pounds.

Comment

I'm not so sure that by "staying small" the OP meant he was into boas that stay physically smaller, or only that he's not looking to acquire a houseful??? (the latter is how I interpreted the post, mostly because
              he was ready & willing to take on his brother's red-tailed boa-?) In any event, plenty of great snakes available in smaller sizes too.

Hope I'm guessing your gender correctly, DesertWolf? Feel free to correct me/us...

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                I'm not so sure that by "staying small" the OP meant he was into boas that stay physically smaller, or only that he's not looking to acquire a houseful??? (the latter is how I interpreted the post, mostly because he was ready & willing to take on his brother's red-tailed boa-?)
                Good point. Snakes are like potato chips though, while you may initially intend to only have one or two, pretty soon you've got dozens...

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
                  Snakes are like potato chips though, while you may initially intend to only have one or two, pretty soon you've got dozens...
                  THIS, most definitely! Welcome to RTB!
                  http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Working...
                  X