Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handling a GTP

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Handling a GTP

    I am looking into getting a GTP, but as of right now it's can't be handled. I know they're not the handling type of snakes, but I would like to be able to move it in and out for cleanings without having too many issues. I used to have an ATB, and he was a pain!!!! I could hold him, but he would never stop striking. I have seen some semi-docile GTPs. Any advice on how to somewhat tame them? I'm sure their teeth can get through leather gloves lol.

  • #2
    Re: Handling a GTP

    Buenos suerte amigo. The only GTP's I've ever been around are smi-tolerant to human interation, except the one who wanted to kill everyone...


    -Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Handling a GTP

      I actually spoke to NJRae about this recently, I'd give her or JenniferM a pm to ask them. Both of them gave me great information on them several months back when I was looking into getting one myself.

      Oh and cut resistant gloves work wonders. We had them for my iguana with his monsterously long nails and they never went through. Not sure how they'd work with teeth though.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Handling a GTP

        If you have a cage with removable perches it isn't bad to clean cages. Most of them will hide thier heads when you reach in for the perch,unless it is around feeding time. I have handled every one I have had. Once you get them out of the cage it isn't bad. To remove them I put one hand on top and one underneath them and kind of tickle them underneath and they will crawl off the perch onto your hand.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Handling a GTP

          This guy has various GTP's and he handles all of them. He even has Emerald Tree Boas that are more aggressive than the GTP's. I have seen many tame GTP's I have even handled a couple at the Daytona show. You should try and contact this dude man he looks like he can give you advice on taming one. He has a bunch of cool videos and a nice collection.

          YouTube - Green Tree Python TAME Adult Large Female MEDUSA!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Handling a GTP

            I havent had an real issues with my GTP. Ive had him for a few months now and have only been tagged once in that time frame. I tend to do what HopingForBabies said and just kind of coax him out onto my hand to give him free roam. As long as I dont make any real sudden moves or try and force him to do something he doesnt want to he doesnt give me any real issues.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Handling a GTP

              Originally posted by LunarAtom View Post
              I havent had an real issues with my GTP. Ive had him for a few months now and have only been tagged once in that time frame. I tend to do what HopingForBabies said and just kind of coax him out onto my hand to give him free roam. As long as I dont make any real sudden moves or try and force him to do something he doesnt want to he doesnt give me any real issues.
              Thanks for you suggestions. My problem is that it isn't a baby!! It's a 2 year old Sorong.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Handling a GTP

                Hmmm...Do you know anything about its upbringing? If its been left alone for the last two years and it was a wild caught snake you may be better off going with a hook or removable perch as mentioned above. If its something someone has already put time into and worked with you might be ok.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Handling a GTP

                  Originally posted by LunarAtom View Post
                  Hmmm...Do you know anything about its upbringing? If its been left alone for the last two years and it was a wild caught snake you may be better off going with a hook or removable perch as mentioned above. If its something someone has already put time into and worked with you might be ok.
                  I was told he was a CB baby. They handled him some when they first got him, but like I said, he's 2 years old now. We are about to be on our way to get him I hope he's beautiful. The pictures were kind of fuzzy

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Handling a GTP

                    Originally posted by Lucky13 View Post
                    I was told he was a CB baby. They handled him some when they first got him, but like I said, he's 2 years old now. We are about to be on our way to get him I hope he's beautiful. The pictures were kind of fuzzy

                    Good luck to you! And you know what that means. More pictures for us!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Handling a GTP

                      Originally posted by LunarAtom View Post
                      Good luck to you! And you know what that means. More pictures for us!
                      Lol. I have a feeling there will be a lot of blood shed with this one! He is by far THE cutest little snake we have!!! He is amazingly precious with his beady little eyes!! ^_^ pictures will come later

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Handling a GTP

                        Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        This guy has various GTP's and he handles all of them. He even has Emerald Tree Boas that are more aggressive than the GTP's. I have seen many tame GTP's I have even handled a couple at the Daytona show. You should try and contact this dude man he looks like he can give you advice on taming one. He has a bunch of cool videos and a nice collection.

                        YouTube - Green Tree Python TAME Adult Large Female MEDUSA!!!
                        I have held a GTP plenty of times. I had a friend pick one up and it was rather docile. Never struck. As for me, I own a ETB and it has NEVER struck at me. I have taken him outside and allowed him to climb on a tree and everything. Never any problems with him; however, I would not attempt to grab him at night. He becomes a different snake at night..lol (feeding response is heightened at night).

                        Star


                        Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Handling a GTP

                          i can handle mines he is a sweety but i did wait until he was a year old before i started to pick him up and hold him. you can hold them when they are small but you have to be very very carefull you have to let them come off the perch themself and not pull them off you can kink there tail.and do not go in the cage at night.

                          just saw the GTP is 2 years old, well you just have to work with him, they are not the type to take out everyday, i take my guy out about 4 or 5 times this year, dont wear the gloves i would think it will be harder to hold the snake and they are fast, i got bite a few times and its not bad, mine is around 3 years old.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Handling a GTP

                            Originally posted by JenniferM View Post


                            Oh wow. Youre little guy has amazing color! I really hope when mine loses his baby reds that he keeps half the white spots that yours has.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Handling a GTP

                              Wow, he's gorgeous!! He looks just like mine. Is yours a Sorong? I have only handled mine with a towel, and boy am I glad I did. He was biting the towel!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X