This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nj snakes

this post is really directed toward tc but if anyone else has an idea feel free to post. i was on the golf course yesterday down in belmar when a long came a snake. this snake had a short stocky body, almost like a viper boa and the head of a kingsnake. it was very dark colored with a banded pattern towards the tail. i really wish i had a camera to take a pic of it. it was nasty too, as soon as i walked near it it started to lash out. what kind of snake do you think it was?

Re:nj snakes

The kind to take your golf ball making you search needlessly causing you to add a stroke to your game! Just go ahead and nickname it "Mulligan." I'm not sure man, sounds like a cool snake though!!

Jeff

Comment

lol, it was wild dude. i have seen many snakes in new jersey but never anything that looked like this.

Comment

Sounds like some kind of a milksnake, but can be some kind of an Eastern King. Try to give me a better description and see if you can remember how many large scales on the head.

Comment

King snake head, viper body.. I was gonna say eastern king until the thick short body. Could be a cross. I know NJ has some mix breed rat snakes.. Like TC said, if you remember if it has 9 big scale on top of the head, could be a Rat snake, or some kind of cross. Rat snakes can be agressive at times. Do you remember the pattern, was it bands, stripes, criss cross, etc.. Bands that are blending in with the body could be a black rat. They get darker as they age, but thier body is not normaly that thick compaired to the lenth..

Any more info?
          Steve

Comment

I was wondering if it might be some sort of integrade like the Northern Pines X Black Rats. I also thought it could be a juvenille Eastern King, but it'll be hard to tell without a better description. Hey Damian why didn't you catch it and take it home for pics and then let it go??? why dude? Okay sorry for the pressure, but you may have found a new species cwm15.gif and we'll never know :P

Comment

i dont remember how many scales it had on the head. it was almost a black color across the whole body then on the lower half it had a banded pattern. it was maybe two feet long and had a short stocky body like a viper boa. tc i was thinking of catching it but i had nothing to put it in. sorry i cant think of anymore details but regardless it was a wild looking snake.

Comment

???Could it have been some sort of a water snake ??? They have a big tendancy to hang out at golf courses..

Comment

The water snake possibility has crossed my mind and most likely the case because they are pretty pissy.

Comment

he is making it... so he can have an excuse for his sorry scorecard... ;D

Comment

if you can beat an 85 then you can talk milkman. anyway i have been looking around and i have seen some pics of water snakes and i am starting to think it was a water snake. i guess the case is cracked.

Comment

If you cracked the case open, just make sure you share!! ;D

Comment

Working...
                        X