This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese corn snake

I have been looking for an easy first pet for my son. He really wants a snake. So I asked the local pet shop to try and get ahold of common corn snake. They are easy to handle and easy to care for. So I just got a call from them and they got me a Chinese corn snake. Anyone ever dealt with them before? Are they nippy in general? and last, I seem to remember they eat bugs and nice mice, is that right, and have you ever coverted them to mice? I really don't want a wanna be garter snake that eats 5 times a week and they are fish and bugs..

Let me know ASAP..
    Thanks
    Steve

Re:Chinese corn snake

they have been reclasifyed into a garter snake basicly... http://www.jackspets.com/reptilehint...RN%20SNAKE.htm
    there is a care guide...

I don't own one but I know they eat fish better then crix... so you may not have to swich from the crix to a vert at least... I would feed fish and pinkys if possible...
    Eric aka...Red
    It sounds like you probley could get a easyer snake to deal with this one is semi aquatic and they don't even say on this care sheet that you can feed any type of rodent... But I bet they would take one if you offered...

Comment

Steve,
      I would stay away from that one. They are finicky and unless alot of time and energy are put into them they just don't do well. They are for some reason being imported to pet stores. The common reptile owner would not be able to keep one healthy. I would recommend the regular good old American Cornsnake or a Ratsnake as long as it is a Black or Greenish because Everglades and Texas Rats are hi strung. Even the Great Plains and Bairds are great pets.
      What ever you decide... Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys..

He is now listed for free with the story in the For Sale section..

Thanks again

Steve

Comment

You'll do fine with any corn snake, they are very docile. All my corns eat nothing but mice and I havn't heard of them eating much else.

Comment

Hi 420Yet,

I didn't want my son to end up with a corn snake that wasn't really a corn snake..LOL.. These guys eat daily and are major pigs.. Fonzy has him now, last I hear he is doing good..

Steve

Comment

Steve,
              I think a cool snake for your son would be a King Snake.. California or Florida King..Preferably Florida King..I've caught 100's of Florida Kings and never once got bit by one there super docile. Just an Idea.

Comment

Hey BigMitch (Jayson),

I just checked some care sheets on them. May be a good choice. He is only 7 but works with me with all the snakes and does a great job..

Thanks for the suggestion..
                Steve

Comment

A couple of great choices for a starter snake that are often overlooked are Rosy Boas and Childrens Pythons. Both are pretty easy to house, have minimal care requirements, and are typically very docile. If you opt for the Children's Python try to get one that is well started and 4-6 months of age. Babies tend to be flighty, nippy, and picky about eating, but once started are excellent!

Comment

Corns are the ultimate entry level snake... ;D I'd very much recomend one.
                    I'll have to agree with stormyva. Va is quite stormy, and young childrens pythons are nippy. I was messing with one and it struck about 15 times then I tossed it's *** back into the cage.

Comment

Maybe I am thinking of something else, but doesn't the childrens Pythons have twice the amount of teeth as a normal Python?

Steve

Comment

Ya' I don't know steve but they are super nice... come to think of it I have never even seen one hiss... and that is saying somthing because I have seen some of those in perty darn poor conditions.... I seen one once that I got for free and gave to a friend to take care of it head was really big and the rest of its body was tiny... It was sick... I guess it was just starved its hole life now it looks normal... But that one was so darn nice... In fact when you tryed to put it away it would hold on so tight it would cut off the circluation in you hand... cute lil' thing...
                        Eric aka....Red

Comment

Hey Eric,

I have no experience with Childrens Pythons.. I am pretty sure they have an extra row of teeth. I remember commenting on they call a snake with an extra row of teeth a Childrens Python. The biggest thing I want to make sure of is we can setup a big glass tank in his room and be able to maintain what the snake needs without installing flood lights and RHP's..

Thanks for the imput..
                          Steve

Comment

Steve,

Last year I got my step-son a red albino corn. I've always kept boids and this was the first colubrid we've owned. I am really quite impressed with it. Very easy to handle, eats well and doesn't require much for heat. Ours is currently in a 10 gal, screen top and small uth. It loves the aspen bedding and the container of damp moss I keep in the cage for humidity. I don't think you could go wrong with a corn and there are many beautiful ones available. A good place to go is Kathy Loves web site (I think it is www.cornucopia.com or something like that).

Good Luck

Larry & Grit
                            Waynesboro, VA

Comment

Hi Larry,

I have owned a few corns in the past, from Okeets to normals.. Found them to be real easy going and a great starter snake.. Heck Corns make a good snake all around, not just for a starter.. I was looking at a few Red suggested, they do have some killer looking corns out there.. I always liked Okeets because of the size and they have a personality.. I will keep looking around. I have had a problem spending 50 bucks for a 20 dollar snake.. Just me..LOL

Thanks for the imput..

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X