This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corn snake breeding

we were thinking of getting a corn for ourselves as well as one for our little cousin, a pair is cheaper somehow lol i have no clue why but heres the question if they were to be placed together for say breeding, how long and old do they need to be and what kind of things need to be done for the female once she is seperated from the male. also about how many babies does one corn usually have in a litter if successful? if there are some really good sites with all this info on them id love a link to it as well. also do they give live birth or do they lay eggs, does the mom keep the eggs warm or do they need to be incubated. can ya tell im kinda facinated with corns now!! HEH thanks red all those great sites to go to got me hooked!

Re:corn snake breeding

Hey redtailedmel,

I have bred corns in the past at 2 years old. One thing you should consider is you will have to put them in cooling for a few months before introing them together.. Carns are really easy to breed, but the cooling is a pain. You will need to stop feeding them two week prior to cooling to empty there poop out so it doesn't rot inside the snake. Then after you put the female in the males cage, you should watch them, do this several times over a month. When the female lays the eggs, you will need an incubator and run it at about 89 degrees for 2-3 months till they hatch.. I can give you more info, just make sure you have an area in your house you can maintain 49-55 degree's for 3 months..

Good luck in your choice..

Steve

Comment

oh wow thats alot of coldness!!!!!! the cooling would be difficlut but the incubating wouldnt be! i have a incubator no prob there but how would you keep a snake that cool for 3 months how did you do it. it would be about 3 years from now that id even try but dont wanna be stupid about it when i do. so i am learning now. about how many eggs do they lay on average?

Comment

Hey redtailedmel,

Yeah the cool is a pain.. I built a room in my non-finished basement. The room if I did nothing would drop to 45 because it was sealed away from the rest of the basement.. So I would use a safe space heater and get the temps 100% a week before I put them in the tanks in the basement.. Another way that has worked for me is to use our spare bedroom. If I left the door shut, no heat got it and it would get to atleast 50 and then the space heater trick again.. The need a normal cycle of light during cooling and lots of fresh water..

Hope that helps
        Steve

Comment

ahhhh did you do the cooling in the winter months? if so that would definately make it easier im in a mobile home and believe me it can get cold in the rooms i dont heat. its a brand new home so its well insulated.

Comment

If I remember right, and this was a few years back. November 1st, last meal. November 15th cooling started. Warming up started approx feb 20th-28th, Three days od warm and they were offered food. Right after they ate, put the female in the males tank, and watched till the female looked like she had enough or the male wasn't interested any more. Then pulled the female, waited till after the next feed and did the same.. Did this for about a month..

Hope that helps..
            Steve

Comment

Bill and kathy love put out a great book... I would suggest getting it... Also TC... I think his computer is messed up or somthing... But IM him he breeds them.. and has a great technyke... Lets the snake incubate... I don't know the details.... But his babys come out bigger and suff like that....
              Eric aka...Red

Comment

great thanks red i dont know what it is but i really like the cornsnow i havent ever seen any that were as nice as the ones in the pics but, i found a new lil snake to enjoy. my hubby said no more boas they get too big but he told me i could get 2 corns hehehe i like the perks as well.

Comment

Hey redtailedmel,

The Kathy Love book may not be a bad idea.. She is very known for corn breeding.. As for TC, didn't know he bred corns, thought he was more into northern rat snakes..

As for boas and their size, just get yourself some rosy boas, alot of them like the mexican are smaller then corns..

Steve

Comment

ohhhhh they are nice too hehe my hubby is gonna kill me HAHAHA

Comment

LOL redtaidmel,.. Just gotta find the clauses in the agreement..LOL

They have a real sweet one at the local shop.. Healthy, fat, about 2 foot long, and nice temperment.. I know the owner asked if I wanted him pretty cheap, if interested I can check on it for you..

Steve

Comment

His where crosses.. Well not all of them... He usta' breed alot more... now it is just a hobby for him... I think... Havent' seen him around much latly...
                        Never the less he has a perty good tecknyke he described to me once.... I liked it... That is the way I am going to go with it... Just have to ask when I need it...
                        Eric aka...Red

Comment

ohh steve id better not im very lucky hes letting me buy the 2 new corn snakes that arent even born yet !!!!!! but if i can convince him to change him mind , oh what am i saying hahah hes a man he aint gonna change his mind lmaooooooo

Comment

Working...
                          X