Calming down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calming down

I know that corn shakes are more "active" than other snakes, but my baby male snow motley corn is DEFENSIVE!! Always coiled and striking. He is only as bid as a pencil so there is no pain when he hits you but I am worried fo rthe future. Any advice on how to alleviate this? Heat and humidity are good. Have not had a corn snake in over 20 years so I am a little rusty here.

Re: Calming down

I've kept colubrids on/off and in my experience their behavior has always been more extreme than boas and pythons. Everyone I've owned has either been really flighty or really defensive. My Mexican Black Kingsnake was very defensive like your corn snake but with regurarly handling she's calmed down a lot. She doesn't coil or strike anymore although she is always on the go. My milksnake unfortunately still musks me every time I pick her up. It's really annoying, I wish she'd just bite me, lol. I try to handle them twice a week, even if it's just for a few minutes. I try to handle them whenever I need to clean their cage or give them water that way I can give them a couple days inbetween where they're not being messed with. Some take longer to calm down and sometimes they're always a little ornier. Luckily even when they get bigger they don't do much damage when they bite so I never worry about it.

Good luck!
    “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
    www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

All my corns are flighty for sure, but this one, geeze. He struck 9 times yesterday will trying to feed in about 45 seconds. The only way I can get hime to eat is to leave.

Comment

Patience is key, they will calm down pretty quickly.I used to have alot of cornsnakes and some are just a little jumpy but they are so little and you are so big, cant really blame them.I love cornsnakes and wish I still had a couple, Ive never had one that bit me once they gained some size and felt more secure.
        I should mention that some are better once out of the cage so using something to pick them up rather then your hand may help.I use my hemostats to pick up my baby bullsnake.
        She has gone from hissing, rattling and biting to just hissing and rattling.
        My childrens python still bites me though and he is 2 years old.I have to wear long sleeves(I get jumpy about being bit on the arms but the hands dont bother me as much).

Comment

I am hoping so. I have had him since June of last year.

Comment

We have several corns and what I have found so far is that the general flighty behavior will calm with time, but the ones who display the insane defensive behavior at dinner time will tend to stay that way to some degree.

Usually the ones who play big and bad will end up being as tame as a puppy once they are out of the cage, but they put on a great show until then.

Good luck though, Mike. I think everyone should have at least one 'psycho-Corn' on hand. lol
            "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

I Don't plan on quitting on him. Albino Motley and beautiful. I have been trying to only handle once a week so that I don't stress him out, but maybe I should try more.

Comment

Working...
              X