Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help corn won't eat! he may be too small for pinkys.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help corn won't eat! he may be too small for pinkys.

If there is already a thread covering this I apologize. I recently picked up 7 corns Out of Egg and all have finally shed. I've gotten 6 to eat but the last one may be in trouble. He's such a tiny little thing a little over 2 weeks old and still smaller than the ones hatched out today. He goes for the pinky like he wants it but even a newborn pink is so much bigger than him. I don't know if he's intimidated by it's size because I'm sure he could eat it if he tried but he backs off. I tried f/t first 2 days ago and then tried live today. He goes over to it and pushes it with his nose but when the pink moves he pulls back. As I can't find any pink smaller than that one I was wondering if corns will take a night crawler like garters will? Short of forcing his mouth open and shoving a pink in there I'm not sure of what to do. I'll keep trying every 2 days or so but how long do you think he'll survive without eating his first meal? Thanks for any help. I've included a pic of him 20140829_134106.jpg

Re: help corn won't eat! he may be too small for pinkys.

20140829_231837.jpg
    Size comparison to a newborn pink. He could def eat it if he tried.

Comment

I wish that I could give you some advice, but I don't really know what to do. Brian Barczyk did some SnakeBytes shows on problem feeders (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A0LhvhVZAY and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60H1YT5a5pc). Maybe some of that information could be helpful...

I had a corn many years ago when I was really young, and to get her to eat her first meal with me, I had to take a live pinky and kind of dangle it in front of her, and I think occasionally gently bump her nose with it (it took over 15 minutes to get her to strike). In retrospect, I feel really bad for the mouse, but that was what it took. I did a lot of things wrong with that poor snake because I didn't know any better, so I'm not saying that this is the solution. On the other hand, I have a few boas that still won't eat unless I dangle the mouse in front of them (F/T, though).

I really hope that you can get some food in the little guy... I'm going to be all worried about him now...

Comment

Thank you for worrying. I've never had a problem with corns eating really. Even problem feeders can be coaxed into eating by many methods including the one you suggest. He's just plain afraid of it. I've tried dangling it but he gets scared and backs away. If I keep trying he darts around and coils up with his head hidden. My concern is how he's the smallest of all the corns hatched and he was the only opal produced out of 21 eggs capable of producing one. But he's the smallest out of 700+ my breeder produced. He seems interested like I said and will go check the pink out but then he changes his mind and shys away from it. So he knows it's food I just think he's intimidated by it. I'll try braining next I suppose but I don't think that'll make a difference. If I can find an extra small runt of a newborn I'm sure he'd eat it. My last resort is to force feed him. But I'd like to avoid that if possible. Wasn't sure if corns could eat worms or crickets like some snakes do starting out although I probably won't have luck trying to get him to eat those either. He just shed Wednesday so it's a little soon to panick just yet. I had 2 others a little stubborn out of those 7 as well. But the one ate when left overnight and the other ate when given live. I'll keep trying stuff but if anybody has any ideas what tp do with runt corns I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

Oh and noname I feel your pain on boas. I have two that I have to grab the f/t mouse with tongs and make them move around like they are alive. The one female looks at me if I just place it in there as if to say "well you going to make it move?" They even wrap it up and hold an already dead mouse for a minute or two before eating. I don't like having to hold it either because it makes me jump when they strike and sometimes they hit the metal tongs with their nose.

Comment

Kathy Love, of Cornutopia, has a step by step description of "tease feeding" in her corn snake book---it basically involves holding the baby corn in one hand, and the pinky in the other...the pinky is used to gently bump the snake along its sides(not the head, face, or tail area) until the baby grabs the pinky...then you freeze and don't even breathe until the baby decides to swallow...check out the book, or maybe even contact Kathy Love through her website...

Also,some baby corns just prefer lizards and frogs...if you could find a newly hatched house gecko, that might work...or even an anole tail...good luck, and don' give up

Comment

I've fed pinky heads for smaller meals, but if it's a size issue, you could try taking a frozen pink and slice it in half the long way, then thaw it and try feeding him that, if it's a size issue. I've also heard of people feeding tiny corns parts of mice tails, just to get some nutrients into them and get them eating. Definitely check out Kathy Love's site (Corn Snakes 4). She's awesome with corns and a great and helpful person. Good luck with this little guy.

Comment

Thank you I'll try those methods and I'll check out her book. I'm going to give him two days off first without messing with him. Probably do the pinky head first..seems less messy than cutting one in half. I know you do it with a frozen and then let it thaw but still kind of messy when it thaws. If worst comes to worse I'll force feed him. I've had corns that wouldn't eat and wasn't interested in the pinky at all but he seems interested. He catches it's scent and goes over nosing it around and flickering his tongue but then he backs off. He'll sit for a min or two and then do it again. With a live pink he really seems interested when it moves but then he starts nosing it around and it'll move which then he backs off like he's scared of it. I may try a mouse or anole tail if the pinky head doesn't work. It's still early to overly worry about him just yet. Like most corns once he gets his first meal in he should eat no problem. Thank you everyone for your help and I'll keep you posted on his progress.

Comment

Ive used the paper bag method, put both animals in the bag seal it put it someplace safeand ck it in the am. for some reason this has always worked for me....

Comment

I've used mice tails for baby garter snakes, to convert them over from eating earthworms, and then moved them up to pinkies.

I also have two baby BRB's that had a twisted umbilicus and didn't absorb all of their yolks, and they've needed assist-feeding. F/T pinkies don't work for that - they're too squishy and just make a mess - so I cut the hind leg off of a f/t adult mouse and fed that instead. Perhaps a mouse hind leg would be a small enough meal not to discourage your baby from eating.

Comment

Hind leg sounds like a plan. Probably more nutritious than a tail. I'll try both though but I seen where some people had luck with the paper bag trick. I'll give that a try also. Thank you for those suggestions. Tomorrow night I'll try again. Let you guys know my results.

Comment

He still hasn't eaten. Tried braining then tried cutting the pink in half. Finally cut off the head and still no luck. Guess try hind leg and tail tomorrow. I may take him back to the breeder and letting him try. Since he has a rodent room that reaks that may spark his appetite.

Comment

What luck have you had with this little corn? He may begin by eating very small frogs or lizards, then move on to mouse pinks.

Comment

Sorry it's been awhile. Had to change ISP. I gave him back to the breeder to let him try. Said he waa going to wait two weeks before trying. I should hear about his progress on Monday. But still the little guy has not eaten. On top of all that I have an Anery and a Blizzard who won't eat f/t, and a hypo blood red who will only eat every third time you offer it food. Haha I picked a great lot this time.

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooReptiles View Post
                              Haha I picked a great lot this time.
                              I understand your frustration and I hope they begin eating for you.
                              http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Working...
                              X