This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Black Rat Snakes

As far as caring for them goes, I don't have any tips. But I do know that they're typically really-good natured snakes & a good choice for a pet.

Re: Black Rat Snakes

Thanks anyway kahaj, I have done some more research on them and the Black Rat Snake has a tendancy to be snappy

Comment

HMM.. IS some of this thread missing here or what ?
      Try asking Bry about the rat snakes. He keeps them I do know. Even has the black rat ones ;D

Comment

Thanks Lori, I'll try E-mailing him and see what info he can give me.

Comment

He's usually ol early am and late nite I think also.

Comment

.Re: Black Rat Snakes

There's an out of town pet shop that I trust and the guy who runs it will find out the information for me on Black Rat Snakes and their requirements. And Regardless of if they can be a bit snappy, them having a tendancy to be snappy doesn't bother me. Thanks Kahaj, & Lori s9.gif ;D

Comment

Hey.. Also check your local laws too on the keeping of this ss too. I transported one for Bry awhile back.. brought it back to my home till I could meet up with him to hand over some snakes I had picked up for him....and found out down the road some that the black rat is actually illegal for me to have in this state without a permit..OOOPS.. ???

Comment

The only legal thing I have to worry about is the size limit, it is not legal to have anything over 6 feet in length where I live,

As far as the Black Rat Snakes go, I think they average 3-6 feet in length with an occasional 7-8 footer.

I'm gathering up as much information as I can on these Black Rat Snakes before I decide to get one or not. I will evaluate the information & then decide rather to get one or not, but right now it looks like I'll be getting a Black Rat Snake by December or January, but until I have all the information I need I am not getting anything.

Comment

Well I got an E-mail back from Bry. Basically they can be a bit snappy when picking them up, but with frequant handling they mellow out. I know someone who works at a petshop just out of town from where I live that I trust and he is getting me the rest of the information I need like Temps, Humidity, ect.

Again thanks for the help Lori. ;D

Comment

Okay, I know this is an old thread, but I hadn't seen it until now. I didn't realize that it was you who had e-mailed me, viper. Anyway, I gave you all my answers. But in a nutshell, their temperaments vary. Some are tame as any corn snake, and most are quite aggressive (especially WCs). My gray and black are both somewhere in between. They don't like you being around them, and they're more than happy to let you know it. Handling, however, is no problem at all. They just want to get away from you, this can be quite fun with a 5 footer. If you haven't gotten one and still want one, get a CB snake, they're far easier to work with. CBs of either species aren't too difficult to find either. Anyway, here's some pics. I need some new pics, these are at least a year old.

black rat

gray rat

Comment

By the way, I forgot to add, blacks and grays come from the same range as corns. So, you can keep them just like corns. Just keep in mind that they do get larger, and have more arboreal tendencies than corns. So, a larger and somewhat taller cage with things to climb would be ideal.

Bry

Comment

Thanks Bry

I haven't gotten one yet. I will probably get one in December if a Black Rat Snake is my final decisio,....there are a couple Boas I am considering still.

Comment

Well I have decided that I am going to probably get a CB Black Rat Snake hatchling in December for christmas....

Ah, the best Christmas present a snake lover could want another snake ;D But there are still 3 boas I am considering.

Thanks Bry for the info  b28.gif b19.gif

Comment

Excellent choice, viper. You won't regret it.

Bry

Comment

Hi Viper,

Hate to butt in to an old topic, but I was reading this and something caught my eye. It was mentioned that Black Rat snakes get 3-6 feet. All the Black rat snakes I have relocated from other people yeards locally have been from 6-8 feet. I am in New York and the particullar one you are refering to maybe from a different local with different sizes. Just don't want to see someone get a snake and expect it to be alot smaller then they get. Two weeks ago I removed one that measured 8' 3"'s from an empty swimming pool, and I was real suprised to see how fat this one way. Couldn't get my hand anywhere close to around it body. And yes is was real nippy. When I got into the pool and close by it, its lifted up 10 inches and tried to get connected to me in a way I prefered not to..LOL
                              Rat snakes in general are nippy, especially when young. My Blue Beauty's were nippy and now a few years later. The female is over 7 foot and puppy tame, where the male is almost 6 foot and loves to strike and rattle his tail. They are one of the best snakes to work with IMO. Very cool and easy to care for. My first clutch from these guys just hatched and the babys are as expected, abit nippy, but thet will pass..

Hope that helped some.
                              Best Regards
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X