This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lump-thing

I just got home from work & looked in on my Northern Pine. (BTW, a day & a half after he ate last, he regurged it, too. It was even a very small mouse --much smaller than he's been eating.) He has a lump of some sort about 2/3 of the way down his body if you go from the head. Could this be a feeding that for some reason didn't get digested well or something? Could soaking him help?

I don't know what to do, but it's really concerning that he hasn't held any of his last three meals down. I've never had a snake regurge even once before. ANY help/tips would be great.

~Thanx

Re: Lump-thing

I would say may-be you would want to go to the vet and see if the lil' guy is ok...
    Other then that are the temp's good in the cage...?? I know that will do it every time... but I don't know any more I am sorry..
    Eric aka...Red

Comment

He has a lump of some sort about 2/3 of the way down his body if you go from the head.
      Is this anywhere near the vent area at all..like right before it ? If it is in that area then it could be the snake is needing/or getting ready to have a bm. A soak wouldn't hurt him none btw and if this is what it is, could help even.

Also, What were the last few feedings prior to the regurge one like.. ie.. # prey, days till the next feeding, any regurging etc ?

Comment

Until he started regurging, feedings were always six days apart. He would eat one small-medium sized fuzzy mouse each time. I looked in on him earlier, but didn't have time to get him out. I'm at my in-law's right now. When I get home I'm gonna' get him out cuz I didn't see the lump earlier today. If he was sort've constipated, could that have been causing him to regurge?

Comment

Ok..Let us know if that lumop is gone then when you check him out is all. YES, constipation can cause a "lump" and may even possibly cause a regurge in a snake also. If the snake's digestive tract at the end is "full" so to say and the snake eats again, but the "lump/fullness" has not vacated.. then it is possible that it could be vacated via the other end. Almost like if you were to eat/gorge and then not vacate, then tried eating some more....you would most likely "regurge" at some point also. Make sense ?

Also .. try moving the snake to like a 7 day schedule [ this is a baby right ?] That could make a difference in this type of thing happening or not by doing that even. [ If that is what it is in fact.] Won't hurt him to give his digestive tract a small break at all either by doing this.

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to get back on here. Finals & such have had things very nuts for me this week. The lump was gone & a huge mound of waste found in the tank. :P I gave him a few extra days. He ate a small prey item today (it had been eight days since he regurged the last one).

Lori, I'll try a seven day schedule. I was going on a six day one cuz that's what TC had recommende to me.

Thanx!

Comment

Well now ya know exactly what that lump was then it seems hehe. As for the feeding scedule.. I always go with a 7 day for the colubrids that i keep. I like to give them time to digest and recoup their gut flora between feeds is all.
              IF he regurges again..or ever... give him at least a 10 day break till the next attempted feed basically.

Comment

Well, ten days it shall be then. Less than twenty-four hours after he ate last it came up on him. Poor guy!

I have two questions.
                1: His tank is by a window. The windows in our house don't neccesarily seal the best in the world. Now, it has curtains down the sides of it & a blind that hangs well beneath it. The temps in the tank stay up fine (even at night). However, could the "winter chill" in the air be getting to him even w/ the temps being okay? I mean, could that be causing all of this?

2: I've heard of Ball Pythons not eating from like Oct.-Jan. Are there other snakes that do this? If so, are Northern Pines one of them?

Comment

1: His tank is by a window. The windows in our house don't neccesarily seal the best in the world. Now, it has curtains down the sides of it & a blind that hangs well beneath it. The temps in the tank stay up fine (even at night). However, could the "winter chill" in the air be getting to him even w/ the temps being okay? I mean, could that be causing all of this?
                  YUP, Could be possibly, even though you state that your temps are good all the time. I would think that there may possibly be a draft from the window[s] and that in itself would expose him to cooler temps at times. Also, your set up for heat most likely will regulate itself to "jump" on the lowered temp from the draft, so you wouldn't note such happening even most likely. Just move the cage from the window area and see if that makes a difference also then.

2: I've heard of Ball Pythons not eating from like Oct.-Jan. Are there other snakes that do this? If so, are Northern Pines one of them?
                  Yes, there are some snakes that will do that. The pines I have kept also have done that too. I had one that did that EVERY year from like October through about Aprily even. BUT Keep in mind that if the snake goes off feed on it's own..It will not take a prey and consume it either and then regurge it. SO I doubt that your snake is doing this even from what's been going on with it. Keep offering it prey on a schedule..if it goes off feed.. Then we'll get to that is all.

Comment

Great. Thanks for all of your help on this, Lori. I'll let you know what transpires with the next feed, too. Hopefully all will be well.

Comment

Working...
                    X