Look what I almost stepped on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what I almost stepped on!

Now that spring is finally here I've started hiking on the weekends again. A few minutes after lamenting about how I never see much wildlife on my outings I almost stepped on this little guy!

I'm pretty sure it's a Common Garter Snake. And actually a pretty big one. Usually I spot these and Eastern Ribbon Snakes later on in the year when all the babies are hatching. Also included is a picture of my fearless k9 companion : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
    www.outworldreptiles.com

Re: Look what I almost stepped on!

Very nice find, sweet canine too! It's so easy to miss snakes...they blend in so well & scoot away fast!

Comment

What beautiful country. I love living in the desert, but I miss country like that, sometimes.

Comment

Nice find!

Other than common birds and squirrels, I really get excited when I come across wildlife.

Comment

Nice find and gorgeous companion!

We have had a breeding pair of black racers living in our banana tree patch for a few years now. I caught the female sunning yesterday and she was so blue and gross looking. Hoping to see more babies soon!
          http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Nice find, garter snake usually ran in packs, this one must have gotten lost LOL
            sigpicJrock23

Comment

Thanks everyone! Hopefully I'll see more this year. I'll definitely be doing some camping trips in more remote locations as the weather gets nicer.

Originally posted by Jrock23 View Post
              Nice find, garter snake usually ran in packs, this one must have gotten lost LOL
              I think they only gather together for breeding. I've never stumbled across that before but apparently it can dozens to hundreds of them all wound up together. I'm not sure when their breeding season is around here but it must be soon because I usually start seeing all the babies in August/September. They're super tiny compared to boa and Python babies, lol.

www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

Spring is when they breed, after they come out of hibernation. And by the way, they often group together (sometimes even with other kinds of snakes) in the same hibernation-den... suitable
                "real estate" can be hard to come by these days.

Comment

That's right I'd forgotten about that. Back in California there was this small little "cave" that they would frequently use near my Aunt's ranch. Occasionally you could spot a few rattlesnakes in there with them. I always tried to time it in the spring so I'd see the mass exodus but I always missed it, lol. They'd be there one day and gone the next.

www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zaphod42 View Post
                    That's right I'd forgotten about that. Back in California there was this small little "cave" that they would frequently use near my Aunt's ranch. Occasionally you could spot a few rattlesnakes in there with them. I always tried to time it in the spring so I'd see the mass exodus but I always missed it, lol. They'd be there one day and gone the next.

That would be awesome to watch! There is a house in a rural area in my part of this state where they get "covered with snakes" once a year & last I heard the herpetologists have not been successful at discovering
                    why or what's going on, but I'm sure they've got a hibernation den there someplace...? One person's dream is another person's nightmare...LOL! (in this case I think the owners have at least been 'tolerant'?)

Comment

Working...
                    X