What would this little beauty eat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would this little beauty eat?

Found this little guy/gal at work. Only about 7" long. Was real feisty at first but mellowed out beautifully since I first picked him/her up.

I thought this would be the perfect snake to use to introduce my 6yo boy to snakes. I intend to keep it for a month or two so he can get a little size.

What would one this tiny eat? Crickets? Earthworms? Slugs?

Thanks

What would this little beauty eat?

Forgot the pic

Comment

Re: What would this little beauty eat?

Mouse pinkies.

Comment

Originally posted by JrtheFreak View Post
        What would one this tiny eat? Crickets? Earthworms? Slugs?
        In the wild, yup. And anything else he could wrestle down his gullet. In captivity, mouse pinks should suffice.

-Sean in NoCal
        “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
        -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Looks like an Eastern Milksnake, which is native to Pennsylvania.

The following link is to a page with all the information you could ask for regarding that snake.

PA Herps Identification - Eastern Milksnake

Hope it helps
          "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the replies. You think he could handle a pinky?

Comment

I'd try a tiny newborn (mouse) pinkie. He may surprise you.

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                He may surprise you.
                Especially when he goes after another one!

-Sean in NoCal
                “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                  I'd try a tiny newborn (mouse) pinkie.
                  I didn't realize how small it was until I went back and looked at the picture again and realized that it was actually wrapped around your finger.

A newborn pinkie mouse should work perfectly, but I wouldn't go any older than a newborn (1 day old) to start with.
                  "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Ok thanks. Another question... If I kept him over the winter would that mess up his hibernation for the following winter?

Comment

That I really could not say.

I would imagine that if you were to brumate it in a some-what similar fashion as would take place in nature then it should not be too much of an adjustment in the wild; however, if you plan to keep it that long, you might just contemplate making a permanent keeper out of it.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JrtheFreak View Post
                        Ok thanks. Another question... If I kept him over the winter would that mess up his hibernation for the following winter?
                        It's really not a good idea to keep for a while & then release. It can mess up more than just their 'hibernation'. Also, if you keep other herps, you may be inadvertently exposing the native wildlife to non-native pathogens
                        carried by the snake you turn loose and to which they have no resistance. You might check with local Game & Fish laws about any such release, as it may not be legal.

Also: not every snake you catch will "cooperate" & feed for you in the winter, even with the right temperatures & lighting. Have you ever brumated a snake? If you keep him & he stops feeding for the winter, he'll
                        starve to death if you don't brumate him. Be sure you know what's involved, it's not without risks & challenges. And if you wait too long to release him for him to learn his way around* outside, he also won't survive.
                        (*it takes time for snakes to successfully stumble on suitable places deep enough to survive winter that aren't already occupied, etc; it's the equivalent of someone dropping you in a foreign country with no money, no
                        maps, cell phone, friends/relatives, proper clothing for the climate and no skill in the language.)

Comment

All comments sounds about right That's is a cool looking snake
                          sigpicJrock23

Comment

Thanks for the info. I got a few frozen 1 day old pinkies and couldn't get the bugger to eat last night. I'll try again tonight and he/she doesn't take it I'll find a nice secluded place to set her free.

Comment

Update: I couldn't get the little cuttie to eat so I let him/her go in a safe place away from people. He/she was in a shed cycle so maybe that was the hold up.

Comment

Working...
                              X