P. d. jani clutch 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P. d. jani clutch 2

This female I am babysitting is laying her clutch right now. I will have LOTS of babies to play with! WHEEE!

Re: P. d. jani clutch 2

SWEET!!!

Comment

Ended up with 15!!

Comment

That's my kind o' snake!

My 2 female yellow rat snakes lay infertile clutches of 17-25 eggs each year, trying to convince me to let them have a date w/ the 2 big males I also have. Just have no idea
        what I'd DO with all the hatchlings... (they usually also do a smaller 2nd clutch...yikes!)

Comment

Apparently I can't count... there are 16 eggs, lol

Comment

Originally posted by ldydrgn View Post
            Apparently I can't count... there are 16 eggs, lol
            Well, if you counted them all stuck together, it's quite understandable...very easy to miss one that way. I usually separated* all my snake eggs, & when they're all laid out in rows you can't miss any.

*It's a delicate technique but I don't think I ever "lost" any with my process, & in the long run, I think the hatch rate might have been better that way, since if one went bad it didn't take down any others

that it was stuck to; it does require a fairly early intervention though...not once the eggs are really dry.

Comment

I would prefer to be able to lay them out, but both clutches took so long to be laid the eggs "glued" together pretty solidly. :/

Comment

I would prefer to be able to lay them out, but both clutches took so long to be laid the eggs "glued" together pretty solidly. :/
                For what it's worth (and I'm not saying it didn't take some patience), what I used to do was to place a drop of water from my finger on the contact point between 2 of the eggs in the clump & then very
                s-l-o-w-l-y & g-e-n-t-l-y roll those 2 eggs back & forth, until that drop of water loosened the connection...then went on to the rest of the clump until all were separated. I had good success doing this.
                (The clump of eggs had to be maintained in the original orientation, as I'm sure you realize but some others may not.) Pituophis eggs are pretty sturdy too, compared to some of the others. Of course
                in the natural world no one does this and mostly the eggs hatch anyway...but what made me prefer this method was seeing an egg go bad; I mean they stink, they draw flies & grow mold, all of which
                can affect the other eggs (not to mention my appetite, LOL), but when they're already separated, it's easy to toss out the bad one.

Comment

I could get them separated with egg white and dental floss... and I will probably do that soon since I can't cover the top eggs and they will dry out too quickly.

Comment

I could get them separated with egg white and dental floss... and I will probably do that soon since I can't cover the top eggs and they will dry out too quickly.
                    I never tried that but it sounds like a good plan as well. I know what you mean about the upper eggs, either that or the bottom ones "drown". The few times I didn't separate clutches I packed some

vermiculite into the spaces between all the upper eggs & kept that moist, which combined with the overall humidity of the container, did enable them to survive & not dry out...but it was as much trouble
                    as separating them, making sure each had both breathing space and moist vermiculite- and then it's tricky for the middle ones, lol...have fun!

Comment

And so it begins....

Comment

C'mon out, little ones...you're among friends!

Comment

Working...
                        X