Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longest your bloods gone without eating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest your bloods gone without eating?

Out of my 4 new pythons I've had for the last 5 weeks~ (maybe 4, my memory is bad) All have been eating well but one (my female blood)

I fed them all a week after I got them. They all took it. The following week I tried again. My borneo male and my Blood male gobbled up. My borneo female and Blood female skipped.

Next week they were in shed so I skipped them all. The following week ... my borneo female eats (who skipped 2 weeks prior), my borneo male and my blood male all eat.

This week (like yesterday), again both my borneo male+female and my blood male eat just fine but for the 3rd time in a row my blood female skips. She shows interest as in she'll smell it and what not but she never eats. I'm starting to get slightly worried.

I say slightly because she is not sagging skin or anything. Doesn't look like she's skinny. She's not fat or anything but she isn't skinny either. Have any of you guys had this happen? How long has it gone on for?

I think I'll be calm until the 5-6 week mark if she makes it that far. I thought last week she skipped because she just shed that day and maybe was tired but skipped again. Now, the meal she took was a prekilled. The last 3 feeds are f/t I picked up with my rabbit order because i didnt have small rats at the time. Others take the f/t np, maybe she wants prekilled ? Iam thawing fine and blow drying for extra heat -- particularly the head so its not like the frozen is still frozen.

I've only handled them all maybe 45 minutes total since I got them, except my borneo female I've had out probably 2 hours (she is my favorite I guess you could say) and the female blood (or any, for that matter) have never seem scared, they never hissed. none have EVER tried to strike at me.

I've never had any of my snakes refuse to eat more than once so I'm getting slightly worried about her, even though she still looks good.

Re: Longest your bloods gone without eating?

Don't know man just got mine I let u know this weekend.
    In all seariousness I hope yours comes around and starts eating for ya.

Comment

You said that she was eating Small rats...is this what she was eating before you purchased her....Maybe she was eating mice....try the prekilled rat once more but also have a jumbo mouse handy to try to feed her...

Ive switched my python over to rats almost three months ago and he was tearing them up for about 2 months and then just started to refuse them...He would come right up to the rats smell then..practically lick them look at me and just go away.... He did not eat for one whole month...so I went and got him a jumbo mouse and he did not hesitate to swallow it down...

Ill continue him on these..but ill start putting the mouse in with rat bedding for longer periods of time and probably 3-4 meals from now ill try and give him another rat(prekilled)

wont hurt to try this...it worked for me

Comment

She has eaten once but not since. I know the bloods have very very slow metabalisms compared to most so they take a long time to digest but like I said the other 3 are pretty good eaters, and they are probably ready to move up in meal size but I'm waiting till they all shed again so the meals aren't very big or anything.

If I'm doing my math correctly she's only eaten once in 6 or 7 weeks. I don't know what the deal is because I don't hear any kind of RI or see any signs of a problem, but like I said she's not very thin or anything. It doesn't even look much like she's not eaten.

She does pee BTW, but she has not pooped for me yet. Bloods only poop a few times a year and only one of the 4 has pooped for me yet (my male borneo) but I don't think this is part of the problem just throwing it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by jgonzalez305 View Post
          You said that she was eating Small rats...is this what she was eating before you purchased her....Maybe she was eating mice....try the prekilled rat once more but also have a jumbo mouse handy to try to feed her...

Ive switched my python over to rats almost three months ago and he was tearing them up for about 2 months and then just started to refuse them...He would come right up to the rats smell then..practically lick them look at me and just go away.... He did not eat for one whole month...so I went and got him a jumbo mouse and he did not hesitate to swallow it down...

Ill continue him on these..but ill start putting the mouse in with rat bedding for longer periods of time and probably 3-4 meals from now ill try and give him another rat(prekilled)

wont hurt to try this...it worked for me
          No, the person I got them from had them all on small rats for the last while. She ate 2 1/2 - 3 weeks before I fed her the first time. She was due to eat the day I got her but I gave them that week to settle. The following (only time she has eaten) she took it quick. It was a prekilled one though that I did. She was on F/T from the breeder but the first feeding all 4 got prekilleds and since all have been on f/t which is what they will stay on.

Unfortuantly, I don't breed mice, so I can't try a mouse unless I run 3 towns over. I need to go there anyway soon (next week) because my baby corn eats pinky mice and I don't have those either.

I did think about giving her a hopper rat (I got 2 litters that size now) or a pinky rat, but I could pick up a set of mouse breeders next time I go there since it would be easier to get pinkys for the corn that way also.

It is interesting what you are saying about the jumbo mouse because this is exactly what she is doing. She darts out of her house (or under the bedding if she's there) and runs up to it. sniffs it, nudges her head around it (I don't know why these things do it but they do this all the time) and will check it out a while but nothing.

If I try to dangle it and shake it around with my hemostats she will look interested, go right up to it, lick it a bunch and then move on. I think maybe I should definitly try a mouse out. I didn't think about that but did think about a hopper or a pinky. I know live is not the issue at all.

Comment

I would say try a jumbo mouse....

Comment

Try the forums over at: Bloodpythons.com Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin
              They're run by Kara Glasgow, all she does is Short-tail Python species.

I've never kept any, plan to though. I do know they are not supposed to be fed all that often and that most are overfed. I honestly wouldn't worry about your girl. But I am sure someone over there can help you out. Kara and then Tracy Barker from VPI are THE PEOPLE to talk to Re Bloods and the like.

Comment

Sometimes bloods can be a little tricky. My male was a very lazy feeder when I first got him. He would not get on a consistent feeding schedule. I was also feeding F/T. I called a friend of mine who breeds bloods and this is what he told me to do. Most people will probably not like this idea but it worked for me and my blood will eat anytime food is offered now and is an agressive feeder. First make sure all your settings are spot on. You have no room for error with bloods. Feed live rats every week for about 2 months then switch to fresh killed. When you put the live rat i leave it for an hour if she doesn't eat take it out and try again in a week. This worked well for me. The blood I have was 2 years old when I got him and was very small. Still eating weaned rats. He is now 3 years old and is a nice big sausage who eats medium rats every 2 to 3 weeks. Bloods do much better if not fed very often. I just did the once a week thing until he was eating consistently.

Comment

Check this out...

1/17/2010 12:00 AM - Tracy Barker -Blood Pythons-

She will be on reptile Radio talking all about Blood Python's on 1/17/2010 12:00 AM....sounds like a perfect time to put a couple questions together and give them a call on air...

Here's the link...

Tracy Barker -Blood Pythons-

Comment

Another thing to think about is that it is the season for snakes to stop eating. Just give here some time she'll eat when she's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGilbert View Post
                      Try the forums over at: Bloodpythons.com Message Boards - Powered by vBulletin
                      They're run by Kara Glasgow, all she does is Short-tail Python species.

I've never kept any, plan to though. I do know they are not supposed to be fed all that often and that most are overfed. I honestly wouldn't worry about your girl. But I am sure someone over there can help you out. Kara and then Tracy Barker from VPI are THE PEOPLE to talk to Re Bloods and the like.
                      Yeah I lurk on that forum but don't post much. I bought all 4 of these from Kara actually. She is great (getting 1.1 sumatrans from Kara in the spring too) . I have read similar on her forum but not much beyond 4-5 week spurts which I'm approaching. I planned to post there should she not take within the next 2 weeks or so but I will try a few things first.

I was told to keep on a 7-10 day for a bit longer but like mentioned before I have read a 14 day is more common for them.

I've never heard of "reptile radio" so that sounds interesting to me. I will check it out for sure. I need to soak up all I can about these because next to the boa this is my favorite type of snake.

Everything is pretty ideal setup wise. I had originally run all the enviornment setup with Kara prior to them arriving and she didn't see any issue with what I was doing. Since she is in the rack with the other blood and borneos they all pretty much have the exact setup. same bedding, water bowls, and hides. Same temps. That's why it's kind of wierd. The others are all in the same groove, and she is not.

I got a few things I'll try during the next feed session if she doesn't take. She might just not be hungry, but I'd imagine she would be.

I'm not too worried about her yet, but curious of others experiences with stubborn bloods

Comment

I would say not to worry. I have come accross some snakes that just don't just a good month and a half when I first got them. Now they will eat whenever. As long as she is in a calm environment where she will be able to settle, she should be fine. In any case if like after a little over a month still no feed try using a taped up container and put her in a quiet place with a f/t for a little while see if she doesn't take. But if she is smelling it at least I don't think there is much to worry about. Would be different if she was steering away from it. And if around 6-7 week still nothing maybe a force feed is neccesary. But not recommended unless you have too. I have had to force feed once and after one he ate great.

Comment

Do you have one thermostat controlling the whole rack? Her tub may be a little off. Try rearranging the location.

Comment

Sure do have a thermo and verify the temps with my temp gun daily. Hot, Cold, Middle, and snake body temp. I'll add swapping tub positions to the list of things to try for next time. I've thought about that too but only briefly. I have noticed that tub position does slightly effect heating (uppers being hotter) so I pad the upper ones with extra newspaper sheet until it balances out to the rest of them.

Right now she is still in an acceptable refusal duration from most I've read but I will be trying to suggested ideas next week and hopefully it brings a good result.

Comment

Once again seeing that my last post got over looked. It is the time of the year for our snakes to go off feed. No matter what u do your snake may not start eating again for a few months. They will eat when they are good and ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X