KAI- our baby burm rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KAI- our baby burm rescue

shortly before thanksgiving we had gone to a couple home in Racine, WI (2 hours from home) to pick up some larger aquariums for our rats. Where we live the pet store in town and surrounding areas want 12.99 for a weaned rat live. we breed them here at home for food for our boa. it is way cheaper.

they were feeding this lil guy crickets and forcing him to wallow in his own filth. heat source was an office lamp with a 45W inc soft white bulb. and the world smallest water bowl. He couldn't get his shed off of him either cause he was dehydrated, no muscle, underfed and basically on the verge of death when we got him. He was 18 inches long and only weighed about 8 to 10 oz. You could feel every bone in his body but no muscle.

Yesturday I measure him at 32 inches and just over a pound. he has gotten rid of all the nasty dead skin and is not as wrinkly has he was. the bones are not as noticable and you can actually feel some muscle tone now.
    Attached Files

Re: KAI- our baby burm rescue

Feeding him crickets? I didnt even know they would attempt to eat a cricket. Ive fed fish to some garter snakes I used to have but I only had them for few months while they were healing from a fight with the lawn mower. They ended up having 3 babies while they were in our care too.

Comment

another prime example of human ignorance. Congrates on the rescue, its lucky it got a good home before it was to late.

Comment

Poor baby--sad to see that but I'm very glad you have him now and he looks like he is well on his way to becoming a really BIG boy!
        http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

GREAT RESCUE!...but that bad boy is NOT going to be small for long now in your hand and feeding him right!
          Ernest

www.magikboas2011.wix.com/home Where you will find Available Boas to my Magik BBQ Sauce!

Comment

recomendations on feeding schedule for this guy? he got a jumbo mouse yesturday.

Yeah I hear 20 ft 200 lbs...... kinda worry some but saving was better then letting it die.. We will just have to cross the housing issues as they arise.. my husband being a carpenter does have it's advantages...

What are your guys thoughts on full grown size?

Comment

I must say he is very well mannered and loves showers. He is very gentle and snuggly. he likes having his chin rubbed too

Comment

If it is a male it shouldn't get that big unless you really start power feeding him, but 13 feet or so is very likely and it doesn't take long. You can feed every 10 days and once it gets a little more weight you can go to a 10-14 day schedule. Just like with boas it is easier to keep it calm and docile if you are not overfeeding it. You don't want it in feeding mode constantly. Slow and steady growth is always better, but don't starve it like the last owner. I would go ahead and make the switch to rats though and feed according to size. Good luck and keep us posted.

Edit: On the housing issue, you can keep a large adult burm in an AP T-70 8LX3WX2H and it should have sufficient room.

Comment

Nice rescue! He is very lucky to have you!

Comment

Nice story! I like burms a lot one of my buddy kept an albino pair in the mid 1990's they were huge the male was 9 ft and the female 14 ft and about 55 lbs. Too bad it's a pain in the neck to keep them here in Florida now. Good luck with him/her.

Comment

you are talking 14-16 easily [adult] for a male and 16-18 foot for a female probably.

weight I guess depends on if you are giving it a turkey or a chicken or rabbit or whatever else they can eat.

I think they are going to hit 6 foot in a year either way and approach 9-10 within 2 but I could be wrong.

Comment

Awesome job on the rescue! He/She is going to get big that's for sure but like you said it's better than it dying and agonizing death.

Comment

every single animal i own has came from a rescue it feels really good to rescue something and see it through. good luck and thanks for doing that.

Comment

The burm I had grew to 7.5 feet in about a year and a half on a 10 day feeding schedule. They do grow pretty fast!

Comment

Congrats on the rescue... And thanks for offering the little guy a good home.. I love the color and patterns these guys get... they are so cool looking.

Comment

Working...
                              X