Aggressive Burmese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive Burmese

I recently got an Albino Burmese, we are geussing she is 3 yhears old, around 5 feet, and 40 pounds. She is anawesoem snake, the problem is that she is very aggressive. She hisses like crazy when you remove her from her cage. She has never struck at me, but gets ready to. Is there anything I can do to calm down this snake?

Re: Aggressive Burmese

Wish I could help. Ive been lucky and have never had an aggressive snake. Im not a fan of burms for that reason though. Theyre pretty but just that burm attitude...no thanks.

Comment

An aggressive Burm? wow, don't hear that one very often.

That's unfortunate. I'd guess that she's never been handled much, so she's probably just not used to it. She probably started out as a neonate hissing defensively, and her owners backed off, so she learned that humans will go away when she hisses. Snakes aren't stupid.

Really, if you want to turn her into a handleable pet, your only option is to handle her.

You can try the T-shirt trick for a while in preparation. Just take a shirt you've worn all day, and throw it in her cage so she can get used to your smell. Do that for a couple weeks, then start handling her. Start slow, 10 minutes a day at first, and as she acclimates to you, start increasing the time.

You'll also want to get a good snake hook and start hook training her. Hook training, if you aren't familiar with it, is a way to educate the snake on when to turn the feeding response on and off. Big constrictors like burms automatically react with feed response any time the cage opens. Think about it, what happens when they get fed? Cage opens, food gets thrown in. They'll learn to expect that ever time the cage is opened. But, if you reach in with the snake hook, and rub her on top of the head a couple times before you take her out to handle her, or clean, whatever, she'll learn that when the hook comes in, she isn't being fed, and she'll relax. When you do feed her, do NOT rub her with the hook, so she'll learn to differentiate.

Try those things and you should have a nice, handleable animal in no time.
      "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

I know of 14 foot Burms that hiss and never strike. I think this is common in burms or atleast burms I have seen in person. Hold the darn thing and be happy it is talking to you. lol

Comment

Originally posted by monkeywrench133 View Post
          An aggressive Burm? wow, don't hear that one very often.

That's unfortunate. I'd guess that she's never been handled much, so she's probably just not used to it. She probably started out as a neonate hissing defensively, and her owners backed off, so she learned that humans will go away when she hisses. Snakes aren't stupid.

Really, if you want to turn her into a handleable pet, your only option is to handle her.

You can try the T-shirt trick for a while in preparation. Just take a shirt you've worn all day, and throw it in her cage so she can get used to your smell. Do that for a couple weeks, then start handling her. Start slow, 10 minutes a day at first, and as she acclimates to you, start increasing the time.

You'll also want to get a good snake hook and start hook training her. Hook training, if you aren't familiar with it, is a way to educate the snake on when to turn the feeding response on and off. Big constrictors like burms automatically react with feed response any time the cage opens. Think about it, what happens when they get fed? Cage opens, food gets thrown in. They'll learn to expect that ever time the cage is opened. But, if you reach in with the snake hook, and rub her on top of the head a couple times before you take her out to handle her, or clean, whatever, she'll learn that when the hook comes in, she isn't being fed, and she'll relax. When you do feed her, do NOT rub her with the hook, so she'll learn to differentiate.

Try those things and you should have a nice, handleable animal in no time.

Wow, thats some good stuff!

Comment

First let me say, Welcome to the RTB community.

I think that either your length or weight is a bit off. A five foot Burm will weigh closer to 4 pounds than 40. A 40 pound burm would be more like 10+ feet in length. As you can imagine, the way you have to handle an aggressive 5 footer is very different from how one would have to treat a 10 footer. A 5 foot burm can give you a painful bite, a 10 footer can HURT you. If you can post some pics it may help everyone get a better idea of its actual size and weight, so that we can give you a better idea of your best course of action.

Mark

Comment

Erin (monkeywrench) covered handling pretty well. I highly doubt your snake is 3 yrs old. If she is only 5 ft. then I would guess she is still under a year old. The 40 lbs has to be way off as others have said that would be more along the lines of a 10 ft. plus snake.

Burms are very rarely agressive. They do tend to be nippy and hissy when they are young. Consistant handling is what it takes to get rid of that. I also highly recomend hook training. That is the only way to work with big constrictors. I even hook train my boas. I never pull them out with the hook I only tap or rub them with it so that they know its not feeding time. Once the snake gets use to the handling and to you she should be fine. Burms are usually referred to as gentle giants for their docility. Then again every snake has its own personality and some just don't really like being handled.
              Last edited by clsutt29; 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by clsutt29 View Post
                Erin (monkeywrench) covered handling pretty well. I highly doubt your snake is 3 yrs old. If she is only 5 ft. then I would guess she is still under a year old. The 40 lbs has to be way off as others have said that would be more along the lines of a 10 ft. plus snake.

I kind of skipped over the size/weight/age thing, but yeah, at 3 years old, she should be well over 5ft, I'd say more like 12-14ft, at the minimum. And that would put her in the 40-80lbs range.

I don't see how you can have a burm that is 5 ft and 40lbs, if you power fed it that much to get that weight, you'd still be over 5 ft.

What concerns me is if she is only 3 years old, and only 5 ft long. If that's the case she's either: A) a dwarf, which is EXTREMELY unlikely, or B) she's been horribly underfed, which is vastly more likely.

If it turns out she has been underfed, that could explain her aggression: she's starving! Makes me cranky too!

If you can, try to get a better size/weight measurement, and if possible, find out more accurately how old she really is.
                "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

Originally posted by clsutt29 View Post
                  I highly doubt your snake is 3 yrs old. If she is only 5 ft. then I would guess she is still under a year old. The 40 lbs has to be way off as others have said that would be more along the lines of a 10 ft. plus snake.

I kind of skipped over the size/weight/age thing, but yeah, at 3 years old, she should be well over 5ft, I'd say more like 12-14ft, at the minimum. And that would put her in the 40-80lbs range.

I don't see how you can have a burm that is 5 ft and 40lbs, if you power fed it that much to get that weight, you'd still be over 5 ft.

What concerns me is if she is only 3 years old, and only 5 ft long. If that's the case she's either: A) a dwarf, which is EXTREMELY unlikely, or B) she's been horribly underfed, which is vastly more likely.

If it turns out she has been underfed, that could explain her aggression: she's starving! Makes me cranky too!

If you can, try to get a better size/weight measurement, and if possible, find out more accurately how old she really is.

See? The only thing I took from the original post is that the burm is 3 yrs old and 5 ft. I can't imaging that a 3 yr. old burn could still be that small without starving to death.

The good news is, that if your burm is still young, you can work with then a little easier.

Good luck!

-Sean in NoCal
                  “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                  -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I held her and feed her today and she was a little calmer, not much for getting out of the cage but we will work on that. We arnt sure of the exact age, one lady at the pet store told me 10-12 months, and the other told me 3 years so thats still up in the air since they did not have her as a baby. The weight may be off, but darn, she is pretty heavy haha! I mean, I am a 6'3" nearly 300 pound guy, and when I hold her she feels like a 30-40 pound dumbbell lol. I will get some pics soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BG-DT51 View Post
                      I held her and feed her today and she was a little calmer, not much for getting out of the cage but we will work on that. We arnt sure of the exact age, one lady at the pet store told me 10-12 months, and the other told me 3 years so thats still up in the air since they did not have her as a baby. The weight may be off, but darn, she is pretty heavy haha! I mean, I am a 6'3" nearly 300 pound guy, and when I hold her she feels like a 30-40 pound dumbbell lol. I will get some pics soon.
                      lol welcome to the forum!! that age and weight and size all seems a little off but congrats on getting the new snake and with a little work your burm will be a puppy dog, just got to keep at it.

Comment

Heres some pictures, keep in mind I wear a size 16 shoe, so compare her size to that. She is getting better, not so aggressive, still pretty mean though.

Comment

Pics didn't come through.

If you have a Photobucket account, post them to it, and they'll automatically be resized, then just use the photobucket link to post them in the thread.

Comment

Any better?

Comment

Yes!

And that is one pretty snake!

Judging from the pics, I'd agree she's about 5ft, maybe a touch under. As far as weight though, I'd estimate she's really about 6-8 pounds. She's actually a very healthy looking young burm, in my opinion. So, I'd say she can't be more than 18 months old.

Good news is: She's still young, and you shouldn't have any problem getting her handleable. Yeah, every once in a while someone will have a truly "mean" burm, but that's few and far between. Consistency and patience will turn her into a great pet for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X