Python incident in the news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Python incident in the news

I'm only going to say this to avoid throwing myself into a rage: if people flipped out every time a dog mauled or killed someone/had to have authorities come out to deal with the animal, the same way they flip about this, then every dog would be exiled from society and people would wonder why they ever let them into their homes.

Comment

The owner should have been arrested for animal cruelty for keeping the snake in that chamber of horrors, at the very least. The snake should be placed in a proper setting like a zoo that knows what the animals need. This is so very sickening.

I think, in fact I am quite sure, that a lot of the people who obtain large or venomous snakes do so simply to feed their ego and prove to their visitors or friends how "brave" and "fascinating" they are. I just hate the immaturity of that, and of course, when there is an accident like this one, all of us who keep snakes of any kind get whacked.

Comment

Originally posted by Primolilla View Post
        Probably 100 or more people were injured or killed in traffic accidents nation wide yesterday and this is what actually makes the headlines?
        Injuries and death due to vehicle accidents are a common, everyday occurrence, so they are rarely newsworthy.

An attack from a large python is such a rarity in the world that when it does happen it will make headlines.

Comment

If I could, I'd adopt it to avoid having it put down. Why the owner is not up on animal neglect charges is beyond me.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by marya1962 View Post
            If I could, I'd adopt it to avoid having it put down. Why the owner is not up on animal neglect charges is beyond me.

Perhaps in the mind of authorities "it's just a snake"....& they don't care to learn any more than they already know about snakes, which is next to nothing, though in this case,
            they did seem to take some props for having someone on their staff who knew how to unwrap the snake.

Maybe we should make some calls (to the local law enforcement) to raise awareness when stuff like this happens? They really may not have a clue about what the
            standards of care for snakes & other reptiles are. But for people outside the area to complain, it's just "hearsay"...they really need to hear from locals who visited
            the store(s) and saw the conditions first-hand.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
              Injuries and death due to vehicle accidents are a common, everyday occurrence, so they are rarely newsworthy.

An attack from a large python is such a rarity in the world that when it does happen it will make headlines.
              And we have a BINGO!!

Comment

Originally posted by natieb View Post
                I know RTB isn't the place for BOI-type posts, so I'll (try to) keep it brief and objective. This guy's other store is close to me, but I won't step foot in there because it's filthy and the animals are kept in unsanitary cages that are way too small. The owner is a loudmouth homophobic conspiracy theorist moron, and is bad for the hobby.

I've also been there and can confirm this. The place is absolutely disgusting. Shame the animals and hobby have to suffer due to incidents like this.
                Last edited by almightyshadowchan; 10-11-2015, 12:22 AM. Reason: accidentally quoted same thing twice

Comment

Originally posted by almightyshadowchan View Post
                  I've also been there and can confirm this. The place is absolutely disgusting....
                  I'd love to know why you never called authorities ('animal control' etc) to complain about this? (you too, natieb?)

Maybe we all need to get more involved. These animals have no voice you know...it's up to us to say something if we see neglect, improper care & cruelty.

Comment

If I knew who to call and could afford it (I think this was in Great Britain), I think I would. But I'm afraid their ignorance would continue despite me, because they'd bow to "public outcry" and destroy reptiles deemed "dangerous" because they "attacked" someone. I get really frustrated with the whole thing because the snake pays with it's life because someone has a snake but freaks out because it acts like one.

Comment

This was in Kentucky! We have members who've seen the conditions there but kept silent & stayed away...that bothers me.

As for who to call, it's easy enough to call the police mentioned in article (in Newport KY), police chief Tom Collins* (*seriously? LOL!) and go from there. Not "rocket science"....
                      (they may suggest animal control or code enforcement...ask for the #)

Comment

I wrote an e-mail to Thomas Collins Chief of Police
                        [email protected]
                        (859.292.3625):
                        Dear Mr. Collins,
                        **** I wanted to write you regarding this recent incident. First of all, I am very concerned that it was mentioned that the snake was likely to be put down. I could understand this if this was a habitual attacker of people and/or a danger to the public because it was in contact regularly with the public--but it's not! It was in a pet store and in a cage until it was taken out.
                        **** This brings me to the second issue. This snake was having a feeding response. All snakes have a feeding response. All snake owner's prepare for this to become serious or life-threatening: they have a second person assisting them (especially with larger snakes), they have a bottle of mouthwash or vinegar handy, and they know to unwrap starting with the tail. Then they call 911 if nothing has worked-but usually it does. They also usually feed in the cage, after washing their hands to remove feeder smell, and use tongs. I don't see where this man did all that, except having an assistant with him.*
                        **** Thirdly, have you seen the condition of the cage? No water, not even to drink, let alone to soak. No substrate to keep proper humidity. No obvious heat sources. On top of it all, the cage was absolutely filthy with feces. Have you even considered an animal neglect or cruelty charge against this pet store owner?
                        **** If I had the money and resources to ship, house, and care for him, I would adopt this reticulated python at the drop of a hat. It certainly needs a good home with an experienced snake handler at the very least, not just death because of public outcry or not knowing what else to do with it.
                        **** Maybe, at the very least, it could be taken in by a rescue organization in your state? And take a closer look at the condition of the cages and animals in that man's shop.
                        ***** Thank you for reading this.

Last edited by marya1962; 10-11-2015, 03:00 PM. Reason: forgot address

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                          I'd love to know why you never called authorities ('animal control' etc) to complain about this? (you too, natieb?)

Maybe we all need to get more involved. These animals have no voice you know...it's up to us to say something if we see neglect, improper care & cruelty.
                          Unfortunately animal control officers in most jurisdictions don't have a clue on exotic animal husbandry. If it's cute and furry, or livestock, then they are ok. Reptiles... not so much.

After all, if they were then most big box pet stores would regularly be cited.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
                            Unfortunately animal control officers in most jurisdictions don't have a clue on exotic animal husbandry. If it's cute and furry, or livestock, then they are ok. Reptiles... not so much.

After all, if they were then most big box pet stores would regularly be cited.
                            I know & I understand that...what I'm saying is that we can ALL start this conversation...this process of educating others. Most of us are animal lovers of many if not all types. And whenever we come into contact
                            with animal control, we need to be friendly, share our concerns and let them know we'd like to be part of the solution. My local Humane Society has my # in their files, just in case they ever need help with reptiles...
                            and they know me anyway since one of my dogs was adopted from there, I have been volunteering there and I'm now serving on their board.

The other problem is that even if they know what reptiles need, they aren't set up to take them in animal shelters (in MOST cases). That's where they need to have contact #'s so they can quickly be in good hands
                            in an emergency. We can also let them know about our website here...for reference on care standards.

And marya1962: Hugs! I'm proud of what you did...please let us know if you get a response? Since it's Sunday, I'm guessing it may take until at least tomorrow, but GOOD WORK! (I'll try calling him tomorrow)

Comment

By the way, nothing ever happened. No response, no nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by marya1962 View Post
                                By the way, nothing ever happened. No response, no nothing.

Same here...at least we tried. I wonder what became of the snake...

Comment

Working...
                                X