X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Primolilla
    Snake Keeper
    • Jul 2012

A Sunny Afternoon.

I've been waiting for a nice day and a decent prop. This is a SD X Dwarf Reticulated Python with the following genetic package, 100% Het snow (Purple Albino & Anery) He is 37.5% SD 43.75% Dwarf and 18.75% Mainland. His name is Wallace and he finally got his day in the sun.
    He should stay between 8-10 feet as a full grown adult.

Enjoy these:

It isn't exactly warm, but it was warm enough and he was easy to take out today.

I think this guy absolutely glows outdoors.

He acts like a king! Plenty confident these days IMO and rather easy to deal with.

Head scalation and crazy eyes.

Thanks for checking out Wallace!
  • Noelle7206
    Snake Master
    • Mar 2011

Re: A Sunny Afternoon.

Wow, you're not kidding! He's awesome! (don't let that "go to his head" lol...) Beautiful colors & markings, radiantly healthy & staying a nice size for many people to handle (though too big for me). VERY NICE!

Comment

• Primolilla
      Snake Keeper
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Noelle7206
      Wow, you're not kidding! He's awesome! (don't let that "go to his head" lol...) Beautiful colors & markings, radiantly healthy & staying a nice size for many people to handle (though too big for me). VERY NICE!
      Always so quick with a positive comment!

I'm not here as much as I should be, and DO promise to post some boa pictures, but with that said, I can tell you are an asset to this board.
      Thanks again.

Comment

• Zaphod42
        Snake Maniac
        • Jan 2010

I'm jealous that you have such a beautiful retic and that you live somewhere warm enough to take him outside, lol. He really is stunning : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
        www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

• Joba1972
          Snake Maniac
          • Oct 2012

He's beautiful.

Comment

• Noelle7206
            Snake Master
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zaphod42
            I'm jealous... that you live somewhere warm enough to take him outside, lol....
            Psst, he's in Minnesota!!! I think they just got a lucky warm-enough day, hahahaha...

Comment

• Richyboa72
              Snake Lover
              • Jul 2016

amazing marking on him i love the iridescence on him its so hard to capture sometimes in a picture.natural sunlight always helps like

Comment

• Primolilla
                Snake Keeper
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Noelle7206
                Psst, he's in Minnesota!!! I think they just got a lucky warm-enough day, hahahaha...
                LOL!

Yeah, it snowed here the day before so don't be too envious.

I'm originally from the Boston area and prefer that weather AND COASTLINE.

Glad Noelle caught my location. I don't want people to think I'm going to the beach every day now LOL!

Comment

• Noelle7206
                  Snake Master
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Primolilla
                  LOL!

Yeah, it snowed here the day before so don't be too envious.

I'm originally from the Boston area and prefer that weather AND COASTLINE.

Glad Noelle caught my location. I don't want people to think I'm going to the beach every day now LOL!
                  I know folks that lived many years in Duluth...no "weather-envy" from me: even here in the South, it's hit or miss this time of year, for days warm enough to be outside with snakes.
                  I can't think of any snakes that want to belong to a "polar bear plunge club" either, hahaha!

Comment

• Zaphod42
                    Snake Maniac
                    • Jan 2010

Haha. I was so distracted by the pretty retic in the sunshine that I didn't even notice where you lived, lol. We got teased with some nice weather a few weeks ago but since then it's been stubbornly in the low 60's and overcast most days. The lack of sunshine has been driving me insane. But at least we're not getting snow anymore : )
                    www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

• THESURFER
                      Snake Lover
                      • Oct 2009

lovely lovely!

Comment

• Kung Fu Joe
                        Snake Lover
                        • Mar 2013

Amazing retic you have there. My college roomate had a retic and it was such a nasty beast that I was actually a little uneasy with it being in my bedroom. I have never wanted one of those... until I saw that first picture. Wow! Gorgeous.

Originally posted by Zaphod42
                        Haha. I was so distracted by the pretty retic in the sunshine that I didn't even notice where you lived, lol. We got teased with some nice weather a few weeks ago but since then it's been stubbornly in the low 60's and overcast most days. The lack of sunshine has been driving me insane. But at least we're not getting snow anymore : )
                        Whatchu talkin bout Willis? We had snow up here last weekend (few hours north of BOS). Well to be accurate it was some type of frozen white precipitation, but it was cold, wet and white. Went to some street festival and left after 20 minutes wet and frozen solid. My snakes-fat, myself-depressed and my motorcycles-dusty... When will it end?

Comment

• Primolilla
                          Snake Keeper
                          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Kung Fu Joe
                          Amazing retic you have there. My college roomate had a retic and it was such a nasty beast that I was actually a little uneasy with it being in my bedroom. I have never wanted one of those... until I saw that first picture. Wow! Gorgeous.

Thanks for the nice words.
                          Here is a little update I wrote up on him, and a few more pictures.
                          Things are going very well.

"Wallace seems to be growing at the desired pace I was shooting for and what I was told he'd likely progress at.

He's a 1 year old snake, June, 1st. I am still feeding small rats every 10-14 days with zero behavior problems. Only today has he finally started reacting to movements in front of the cage. I will be bumping him up to medium rats and quail when he hits his 1st B-day.

Warmer weather, increased daylight and age are getting him going.

He has been wonderful to handle since a few spraying incidents early on. The only accidental, defensive bite was not a bad experience. I actually am better having gone through incident, as I know what to expect and how BIG his mouth opens. The species certainly has one of the, if not the, largest mouth gapes in the snake world. The little ones are quite capable of opening wide.

He's 5+ feet. Maybe 5.5, though he's not really measurable so I'm a bit on the give or take there, but not by a lot.

The combination of SD and dwarf blood seem to be working in concert with his male, gender and keeping him very manageable as far as the size. He is a mover when he's being handled, but there are times when he sits still. I find he either starts out a bit crazy and settles, or he starts out mellow and gets antsy after 15-20 minutes.

I will be curious to see what the start of his second year brings. Another 3-4 feet and some thickness is what I'm expecting.

The guy takes a nice picture when he's ready to pose. Here are a couple in the evening light from yesterday.

This one brings out his SD green coloring. These guys do tend to change color a bit throughout the day it seems.

This one shows some nice head scales and another look at the peepers, well one of them anyhow.

"

It's important to me to do everything correctly with this guy. He has become VERY pleasant since early on which wasn't all that bad either. Really he's been great from the start.

I'm looking 20 plus years down the road with this guy and I don't want to be outmatched should I get a little too old. My wife isn't into the reptile scene and my kids will be long out of the house by that time.

As long as you buy from credible breeders and do some research you should be able to find something within this group to suit your needs. They really do have dwarf populations within the species. Scientific research explains the mainland sizes and why the island populations stay smaller, in some cases much smaller.

Comment

• Noelle7206
                            Snake Master
                            • Mar 2011

Quoting you, Primolilla:
                            "I'm looking 20 plus years down the road with this guy and I don't want to be outmatched should I get a little too old. My wife isn't into the reptile scene and my kids will be long out of the house by that time."

I commend your foresight...I would encourage everyone to do likewise. It's better for us, & certainly better for our pets too. Especially important since the bigger they are, the harder they are to re-home.

Comment

• Zaphod42
                              Snake Maniac
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Kung Fu Joe
                              Whatchu talkin bout Willis? We had snow up here last weekend (few hours north of BOS). Well to be accurate it was some type of frozen white precipitation, but it was cold, wet and white. Went to some street festival and left after 20 minutes wet and frozen solid. My snakes-fat, myself-depressed and my motorcycles-dusty... When will it end?
                              Haha. A few people at work live in Vermont and New Hampshire and they mentioned that. I live in the 'burbs outside Boston but close enough to the water that we don't get snow unless it's a major storm. We have been getting a lot of rain though and not much sunshine, my garden looks pretty pathetic right now. But I'm really happy about missing out on the freezing cold rain : )
                              www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

Working...