Eye cap retention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye cap retention

O.K., you would think after having these snakes for almost 2 years, I would be able to solve these little problems s7.gif but here we go again!! This time it's Stubby, the rescued ball python who was torn up by rats. Once I finally got what's left of his tail healed and all the scars healed, his sheds were pretty good, but this last time, he shed in tiny little pieces, and he seems to have retained his eye caps--atleast I think so ??? I couldn't find anything that resembled the head of his shed, and at first I thought he was just to dry, so I soaked him, raised the humidity to 75%, that didn't do anything. So I took him to Great Valley Serpentarium, the guy there said he was just to dry, no eye caps, (incidently, while waiting for the reptile guy, I ended up taking home a new Boa! cwm32.gif ) So, I took him home, raised the humidity to 80% soaked him more, same, applied mineral oil, same, his eyes are still wrinkled, I don't know what else to do ??? . Other than that he is acting find. spends reasonable amounts of time on the warm and cool sides. Could the eyes just be to dry s25.gif for this long (about 3 weeks)?
    Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I guess I have been really lucky in the past to never have any problems. Until now, when everyone decides to go haywire at once! s34.gif

Lisa

Re: Eye cap retention

Ok.. Ball python huh ? First off, they are well known for having their eyes look as though they have something going on that could possibly be a retained eyecap a lot of the time. YET, that is not what it is at all. So unless you are 100% sure that there is retained eyecap..leave it alone. You could wind up damaging the snake's eyes if ya do something and there is no retained eyecap there at all.
    Easiest way to make sure that there is a retained eyecap of course is to note that the shed doesn't conatin an eyecap or two. BUT.. Seeing as that option is not available to you at this time for this snake.... Do this... Take the snake and get a close look at the eyes. What you want to look at is the very edging of the eyeball that is basically located under the skin of the eye socket. If there is a retained eyecap you will be able to see a definative edge at that locateion on the eye. I gently pull back the eye socket skin just a tad to get a good look when needing to do this. Won't hurt the snake at all. Basically it will look like a line that goes around the circumference of the eyeball. If you see this, then YES there is a retained eyecap on that eyeball. If you don't see that line then there is most likely not a retained eyecap at all on the eyeball.
    Ball pythons , especially wc ones, will get a "dimpled" dry look to their eyes at times. This has nothing to do with retained eyecaps at all btw. Just keep the humidity up there for the snake and make sure that the snake is actually hydrated well also. Soaking, long as the snake is otherwise healthy, will help with this.
    I have one snake that no matter what..his eyes have this look about them..UGH. He's not dehydrated, no retained eyecaps at all..just looks like this all the time...and has for a few years also.
    BTW.. Please do NOT put anymore mineral oil on this snake's eyes either. That is not going to help the problem at all. It actually could create a barrier to keep the moisture out of the eye and therefore not allow it to get hydrated if that is going to help it out at all.
    Also do NOT go and try to pull off any eye caps unless you have confirmed beyond a doubt that there is retained eyecap[s] and also know what you are doing also. If you do not do it correctly, you could injure that snake's eyes for life.

Comment

Working...
    X