The new addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new addition

We got our newest addition to our little family. A 4ft ball python, he is a pretty little thing :P (at least we think he is a he, we'll have him probed in a week or two) We named him Deiter, if he turns out to be a she it'll be Deitra. After having our red-tail for almost a year and with her being 6.5 feet. He looked so very tiny. It was kind of like holding a new born baby, you're afraid you might break them. The owner before lost his job and couldn't care for him any longer. So we bought him of him. But the only problem I forsee is that he only fed him live prey for the last 4-5 years. Now I only feed my Ursula (our red-tail) F/T rats. Any suggestions as to how to help Deiter start eating F/T instead of live. The last owner said that he has it down to a science and the rat has only bitten once, when he was very young. But I don't want to take any chances. Besides, my girlfriend can stand to see anything get killed, :'( :'( :'( even if it is for food. Also, in the cage he came in, he had some driftwood branches so he can climb, which he does. I'm not sure if he bought it at a petshop as pretreated or if he just found some and put it in. I'm kind of voting on the latter. But it has started to grow some mold, or moss on it. Now it does look kool and I would like to have something like that, but not like that I don't. Any suggestions as to how to treat it, so it won't do that again. Can I soak it in Extremely hot bleach water and treat it that way or would it be better to boil it in bleach water? Or would it just be best to throw the stuff away and buy some real stuff?

Re: The new addition

My opinion would be to get rid of the drift wood and buy some new wood.Spoil your new pet....

Comment

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking too, but I was just wondering if there is anyway of treating as is until I can get some new stuff. It ain't cheap and I just spent $200 on her. I'm going to buy some new stuff, definantly, but just wondering what I can do with it to make is safer for her now. Any Ideas about the feeding thing?

Comment

Bake it in the oven at like 400 for like 20 minutes, that should work 8)

Comment

i have had my ball python damian for 9 years now and just got her to eat frozen thawed prey within the last year. what worked for me was simply dangling the prey item in front of her hide box. it took her about a month to finally take the rat. now for the most part she will eat frozen however there are times when she will only eat live prey. she is very picky as are most ball pythons and the key to success is patience and persistance.

Comment

I've had my ball, Arakis" for 2 years. Very finicky. She ate frozen for about a month (this was after not eating during the Winter for 3 months) and then she wouldn't touch it ???. Sometimes she'll eat pre-killed. She will always eat live.

My corn, "Grit" will always eat frozen. She is a little piggy.

I plan on staying with frozen for my new Boa. My old Boa always ate frozen without a problem.

Comment

Well, I'm getting an over abundance of replies pretty much telling me that I should stick to live prey. You have all tried to feed frozen/thaw to very little avail. I'm going to try to feed it frozen/thaw for a bit, but I'm not going to starve it. The previous owner told me about a time when he fed him live and he struck at it , but didn't catch it just right. He did kill it, but he didn't get it by the head. Since he couldn't swallow it right away, he wouldn't touch it since it was already dead. I don't know, I'm going to try, but I may just stick with live and keep a close eye on it during feeding time.

Comment

Bake it in the oven at like 400 for like 20 minutes, that should work
                I go more like 200 for a couple hours. 400 will most likely be very smokey, and possibly catch fire..(well at least I KNOW 400 will burn cypress mulch after a while : ) there's no "bugs" that will stay on the wood at 200 degrees that won't at 400. -Juggalo

Comment

I fed him his first rat last week and he did great!! It was only in there crawling around for about 2-5 minutes and he snatched him right up. b27.gif I didn't really like having to feed it live, because we had to hear it squealing and see it kicking while he was killing it. I know it's part of nature, but it's so much easier to feed it prekill. cwm14.gif But the guy needs to eat and I'm not going to force it to eat something that it just flat out does not want to or will not eat. Besides, we'll get use to him eating live. How often should I feed him anyhow. Will every two weeks be too much or is that just about right? He is about 4-5 years old and about 4.5-5 feet long. ???

Comment

In the book titled 'The Ball Python Manual' it says to feed adults every 7-10 days. But if you wanted to it could probably be fed every 10-14 days.

Comment

You're kidding me, every 7-10 days?!?!?!? No wonder he was freakin' starvin' when we got him. The last owner fed him once every month!!!! I'll be putting dieter on the same feeding schedule as Ursula (our red-tail) and be feeding him every two weeks. Thanks for the input. ;D

Comment

Well, I went ahead and tried feeding him a F/T rat and he took it pretty well. No complaints from him anyhow!! I first unthawed it then dried it off with a blow dryer. He was kind of confused at first, but as soon as he caught the scent of it, he slurpped it right down. ;D b15.gif cwm30.gif b27.gif

Comment

;D :P :-* Well, another feeding session has come and gone. This time we bought 2 frozen and 2 live rats. Again he ate both the F/T rats and we didn't even have to feed him any live. cwm12.gif b3.gif Now my girlfriend has 3 pet rats. I've had to promise her to never feed them to Dieter!! Or ever ask him to babysit. LOL!! I'm going to keep going with the F/T and see how it goes. It didn't really take near as much work as I thought it was going to take.

Comment

I was going to say that was a lil' small for a 5 year old ball... Ya it probley will eat anything.. I was reading on a couple sites that ball python's in the wild always try to find small hidi spot's.. The guy's pro exotic's use the bottoms of clay pot's...(the dish that catches the water) They say that it will reduce the stress of the ball and thus getting red of the skittish eating habbits... You may want to try this.. I put them in with my boa's, corn, and rosy boa and all of them use them alot not... Well that is good that the ball is into eating f/t..
                            Eric aka...Red
                            P.s. about the rat's I don't know if you know but the same rules aply for rats as boas.. don't use any wood chip's exept aspen... the others cause ireprable damage...

Comment

As far as a hiding spot. He loves to sleep in the cloth sheet that goes over the heating pad. I've decided to use a human heating pad for his tank and he loves it. It keeps the tank warm and he's able to go in and out of the cloth sheet that covers it. I've been thinking about getting an actual hide, like a ceramic flower pot or one of those more expensive type of hides, but I figure it keeps him hidden and warm, he can easily get in and out of it. It's kind of like a tunnel for him. As far as the bottom of the tank goes, currently we have that "repti-bark" in the tank now, but I'm going to clean all of that out and replace it with paper towels. Something very absorbant, ie: Brawny, Bounty, Kleenex. We have changed Ursula's tank to that and have had quite good luck with it. We have found that it is much more sanitary, in that when she goes to the bathroom, it is much easier to clean up and spot clean, it is easy to clean up in general and it is a whole lot cheaper. One roll of paper towels is enough to clean her tank about 4 times. So you can imagine how much that saves on cash. ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X