My Burmese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Burmese

I went to feed my baby Burm today and it kept missing. The snake was basically on top of the snake and it went to strike and missed, and snagged himself. Then she started twirling around like she had the mosue... it worried me big time... is it anythign to worry bout?

Re:My Burmese

Hey MrP,

Sounds weird, but don't be overly worried unless the snake does this again or if you see other problems developing.. I have seen many snakes miss their prey and act weird. The wrapping around themselfes is odd.. One thing you didn't mention is how big and old is the snake? And did he finaly get the food and eat it?

Steve

Comment

The snake shouldnt be tagging itself, but I have seen my Boa wrap around himself once, lol . Like Stevo said how old, and is this the first time?

Comment

I have heard of similiar situations. It is not uncommon for snakes to miss their prey. I've seen it happen many times. Though, I've only heard of a few situations where the snakes actually got themselves. Perhaps, it was stimulated by the smell?

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much, when my rtb was younger she did that a few times, (missed prey), although she never tagged herself. I sound like polly parrot but the more the better,... listen to the rest of them, I wouldn't worry too much unless he/she is doing that at every feeding. And like they said, how old is he/she and has this happen before and if so how many times?

Comment

The Burm is no older than 6 months... He hasnt got it yet, ill through it in every day and leave it in there for like 2 hours, i have a vet appointment next Monday, but i am thinking its because he is shedding, but i have fed him when he was shedding before so i am not sure what is going on....

Comment

Hey you changed you name..LOL>..

Well a vet visit is a good idea.. Make sure he checks the burm for Nero problems.. It could be nothing, but its best to have it looked over to rule things out..

Let us know what happens..

Steve

Comment

I AGREE WITH STEVE KEEP US POSTED BOYENGA

LEE

Comment

ill through it in every day and leave it in there for like 2 hours
                  I might be reading this wrong but I hope your not useing the same mouse unless it's a live mouse. If you're snake is eating pre-killed mice there only good for about a day after you've thawed them or killed them, after that the mouse is no good. The reason, and what i've been told, Is the mouse's body starts to rot and parasites and bacteria start to rapidly grow inside the mouses body. I might be wrong but I doubt it. Like I said, I might have read wrong but I also don't know if you're feeding live or pre killed. 8) Keep us posted on your burm

Comment

THAT IS TRUE JAY AND IF U ARE FEEDING LIVE I WOULD SWITCH TO EITHER PRE KILL OR FROZEN THAW CUZ LIVE WILL HURT THE SNAKE ......I KNOW THEY DO IT IN THE WILD BUT.... THEY AREN'T IN THE WILD THEY ARE IN OUR CARE !!! LOL SORRY FOR THE CAPS .

LEE

Comment

LEE really digs those caps.

Comment

hey now welsh don't start i will have to get the good ol monitor vs tegu debut going again!!!! lmmfao

LEE

Comment

The snake was sick... He finally ate one mouse. The vet said to feed him one mouse a week for 3 weeks then go back to 2.

I feed him live, and i keep a close eye on him. He is fed in a 55 gallon rubbermaid that i used to have Turtles in...

Comment

Ok boyenga here is a site that will hopefully change your mind on live feeding ..... it only takes one second that u turn ur head and this can happen check it out http://www.redtailboas.com/frozen_th...wed.html#spot1 site courtesy of clay here at red tail boas.com hope it changes ur mind on live feeding will hate to hear one day that ur snake has been killed or very badly hurt.

LEE

Comment

Hello boyenga,

Well the live feed topic was touched on. I know alot never think their snake will get that one bite in the bad area. Just think that even if you are hovering over the tank and watching with an eagls eye, it take 1/100th of a second a mouse or rat bite can blind an eye, bite through a nerve or worse, kill the snake by the time your hand reached in..

I also suggest you switch, but if you don't I wish you good luck. If you seen some of the bites to come through chance rescue you wouldn't even consider live..

Good luck..
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X