pink bellies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pink bellies?

I just read in the last topic that tofutedm posted that he knows his python is going to shed soon because the belly is pink. I have noticed this in the one I just got, but I havn't come across any info yet that says they turn pink before sheding. I just thought it was minor belly rot (which I havn't ever seen first hand), so decreased the humidity slightly. Then today I noticed the eyes were milky, so assumed it will shed soon, but as I have no experience with pythons, thought it was weird that only they eyes are milky. so, is this pinkness just their way of going into shed? I am very confused.

Crystal

Reink bellies?

Yes and Yes
    The more you get to know your snake, it's coloring and overall appearance the more you will see the subtle changes when shed time is coming. Some of the signs in addition to the milky eyes that you may or may not see on your snake: hazy appearance of the entire snake, a darkening of the coloring, dulling of pattern, and of course the pink belly that you had mentioned. Out of our nine snakes only one, our Ball Python, gets the pink belly during shed. We had a Rosy Boa in the past that that would turn a pastel pink on it's belly from nose to tail about two days after her eyes hazed.

Hope that helped.

Comment

Reink bellies?

I am completly relieved then. It is not belly rot, yay! Ya, I had thought that all of it would be milky, but it's just the eyes, which threw me off, because my corn goes completly blue prior to shed. Thanks, Stormyva

Comment

Reink bellies?

Spots belly always turns pink about a week and a half before it's time to shed, the he'll spend most of his time in his hide. This worried me at first. I thought maybe he was sick. But then after the shed he's as perky as ever. Like stormyva said, it's just another one of those subtle changes.
        Ted

Comment

Reink bellies?

I guess its possible, but out of all the snakes I have had and have, never had their belly go pink before a shed. I have on the other hand seen pink bellys turn into belly rot if conditions were not changed and fast..

Guess it has to do with pigment of the particullar snake..

Good luck, just keep an eye on it to be safe..

Steve

Comment

Reink bellies?

Happens every single time with Spot. I bought a copy of the Ball Python Manual (don't bother, I spent my $ on a book that doesn't tell you anything more than an on line care sheet would), and it says that's normal for a lot of BP's.

Comment

Reink bellies?

My bp's belly turns pink before it sheds to.

Comment

Reink bellies?

Heh-heh, I'm up to snake keeper now. I'm easily amused.

Comment

Reink bellies?

Like I said, must be pigments in particullar snakes. None of my 9 boas from CA-Col. or Surinam turn pink, my wifes BP doesn't nor did the burms I had, blue beauties, Grey banded kings, etc.... I would just use caution. Keep an eye on it and make sure its shed related.. Trust Belly Rot is a scarry thing to go through and real painful for the snake..

Good luck
                  Steve

Comment

Reink bellies?

Well I think they are talking about Ball Pythons Steve. I've noticed that my boa's belly goes kinda Milky whiter than usual and thats about it. But I don't know much about Ball's. I mean Python's. Sorry that didn't sound too good.

**Beth**

Comment

Reink bellies?

I don't think it is belly rot, because when I was touching it, it didn't seem like it was painful. I also was cleaning it with h.peroxide/water mix, and then polysporin as well, didn't make a difference, and the cotton pad came away clean, no bubbling of peroxide to signify infection. When I took her out in natural light, the pink wasn't noticable at all. I don't see how she could have gotten belly rot, as the substrate is newsprint, and it stays fairly dry, even tho the tank is humid. Anyways, I am glad so many other people's bp's turn pinkish as well

Crystal

Comment

Reink bellies?

Hi Crystal,

Hope you didn't think anyone was trying to scare you about belly rot.. Just didn't want you to over look the possible. Also for further info, peroxiod would bubble the first slight sign of belly rot. But we all learn things everyday. Like I said I never seen the BP belly turn pink before a shed. But others have.

Thats what makes this sight so great.. May people, many experiences..

Good luck with you BP
                        Steve

Comment

Reink bellies?

no no, I didn't think that, just exactly what you said ... something serious or potentialy serious should not be taken lightly. The fact that it didn't bubble didn't even click in till I wrote that ... I should be more observant, save myself a lot of worry :

Crystal

( ;D happy now )

Comment

Reink bellies?

Steve makes a very good point...... the pink belly can also be a sign of belly rot, but at the same time it can mean other things. If the pink is still there after shed and you see any other signs like curling or abnormal looking scales, blistering, or more discoloration get to a vet.

Comment

Reink bellies?

You would be amazed at how many people, even those with years of experience get worried sometimes. I myself has been more than worried. I have some that their bellies will turn pink during shed and others that do not. I guess it all depends on the snake and whatnot. Just don't leave the possibilities out and overlook the situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X