dented eye cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dented eye cap

Howdy well i just noticed that my baby burms eyes clouded over for its first shed (while i have had it) She is only a month old appears to be Very healthy temps are 95 hot side-85 cool side humity is 60-70. I noticed today that just as soon as her eyes clouded over she has i dented eye cap ,Is this anything to worry about? is it just the old eye cap or will it be there when she sheds? What causes it ? And what can I do about it to keep it from happening again well thanks in advance, Jon :'(

Re:dented eye cap

A dent in the eye cap can be caused by dehydration. Sounds like your humidiy level is very good, so misting him during the shed cycle should help. Hopefully once he's shed there will no longer be a dent. But...........sometimes they will retain (not shed) the eycap. When I got Spot from my friend, he had retained eyecaps from 2 previous sheds. I had to apply ointment twice a day for 2 weeks before it finally came off. Sometimes you can just wrap a piece of scotch tape around your finger and just touch it on the corner of the eyecap to pull it off. You have to be VERY gentle doing this, or you could risk scratching your snakes eye.

Comment

Hey Roto,

You still got that burm? Thought he was gone...

OK what you described does sound like dehydration. And old eye cap doesn't make sence that it would dent in.. Try giving him a good soak in luke cool water for about an hour. See if it makes the dent less or go away.. Keep a close eye on it and see if its gone after the shed. If its still there make sure the humidity guage you are using is working right.. If it is an eye cap. I would suggest you use alot of caution trying to remove it on your own. You can easly damage the eye itself pulling it off if it isn't ready to be released.. I always suggest most go to their vet if they have eye cap retention..

Good luck..
      Let us know how he is doing..

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the advise Hey steve t6his one is a new one he,he, I m so bad. But this one eats like a pig. I soaked him yesterday and ive brought up the humitity.Im misting 2 times per day and have a towle over the screen on the top of the cage At this point i dont belive it is a retained cap since it was fine right before it clouded up.but we shall see thanks again! Jon

Comment

So you got yourself another one..LOL.. Hope you have some big space for him..LOL.. 10 foot in 18 months is the normal growth rate of those guys.. Is it a male or female?

Steve

Comment

It has not been probed yet so we dont know the sex for sure. And of coarse i got me another, Empty cage means not enough snakes, buy the way i soaked again last night and its eye cap is back to normal Is that normal? I would have thought that it would have to at least shed to get rid of the dent? ;D

Comment

Dented eyes are usually related to dehydration, but it's not always the cause. Keeping the humidity up properly and giving your burmese python plenty of hydration may help solve the situation. The eye cap may return to normal after a few sheds or it may stay that way forever.

Comment

Working...
              X