This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spot shed

Hi everyone. Okay, Spot (my ball python) finally shed last night. Man that boy's growing like a weed. I noticed that he now has some strange patches (not retained shed) of scales that look a little discolored, duller than the rest, and feel a little softer than the rest. He doesn't appear to be bothered by it. I noticed that since I started feeding him small rats as opposed to several mice he has gone through quite a growth spurt. Is is possible that his growth spurt caused some of his scale to not develope properly?? Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera, so I don't have any pics to show you.
    Ted

Re:Spot shed

I had somthing simaler to this happen to my boas once...
    It was some sorta dermatitis... Mine had to go to the vet to cure it but You probley can try to do it your self... give the snake a good bath like clean it... with just water and then take it out dry it and aply a 50/50 soultion of poroxide To the infected areas. it will probley do the trick.. Make sure that is the problem...... I would do a lil' more reserch...
    But with mine it was like all the scales where shinny but some where like dull like skin or somthing... in patches... Just didn't have its outer coating or somthing like that,..
    Oh ya' clean out the cage real good that is the problem that leads to this or over long amounts of soakin...
    Mites or somother problem often are the start of it all...
    I hope this helps..
    Eric aka....Red

Comment

Thanks Red, I was talking to Steve about it earlier and he suggested also that I use vitamin spray for a while. If it doesn't go away soon I'll take him to the vet. Sounds like your boa had the exact same problem.

Comment

Remember I said in PM that snakes can get dry patches just like humans.. Well lets hope that is all, and nothing more to worry about..

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll take him into the vet tomorrow just to be on the safe side. Just want to make sure it's not a fungal infection or something.

Comment

Hey ToFu,

Never a bad bet to visit your vet.. If it will give you piece of mind then its worth it..

Steve

Comment

Spot went to vet today. The doc didn't see much cause for alarm. Figures it may just be that I need to be supplimenting some vitamins. I figure it can't hurt, so I'll start using Repti-vit (unless you guys can recommend something better). He doesn't think it's a fungal infection, but he prescribed some Nolvasan Humilac Solution just in case. Apparently, Nolvasan in an anti-fulgal infection used a lot on the feet and legs of birds, and Humilac is just a skin conditioner. Otherwise, clean bill of health. I want to find out what Petco feeds there rats. That will give me a better idea as to weather or not it's a vitamin deficency.

Comment

Hey ToFu,

Nolvasan soultion is great stuff.. I use it to clean cages, clean cuts on the reptiles, etc.. Just make sure you mix it the right way. Too strong and it could burn your snake..

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. It's stuff like this (and the fact that it's a fun group of very cool peeps) that makes me glad I joined this forum. The vet didn't tell me it could burn the snake. He gave me a plastic syringe and told me to mix 10 cc's with 8 oz water. I'll make sure to follow the instructions very carefully.

Comment

Well a month has passed, he shed again and his head is all better. Still don't really know what the problem was, but apparently it wasn't a big deal. Man he's a good looking ball python. Gotta find that Bus cable so I can post some pics.

Comment

Thats great ToFu...

Glad the baby is doing better..).. Always worth the effort..

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. Spot's not my baby though. He's about 3. Sid's my little guy. I'll have some pics of him up soon as well. 'Bout time.

Comment

Working...
                        X