burmese vs. retics..opinions please :]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burmese vs. retics..opinions please :]

so a friend of mine owns two retics. a normal, 14ft & 40lbs female and a albino calico female, who is 15ft and 71lbs.

he used to have 12ft burmese, which he rehomed because she was too aggressive during feeding time. one day, his wife and his son were feeding the burmese. his wife opened up the door and the burmese shot out of the door, to their couch where she procedded to strike and constrict a pillow. she was coiled around it for 5 minutes before she let go and they got her back into her cage.

another day he was feeding her himself, he opened the cage to toss the two f/t chickens in there and she popped her head out, he backed up out of the way and she struck out about 5ft out of the cage and nearly latched onto his crotch (i guess she was going for the third chicken xD)

anyways, a few friends of his who also own or haved owned both burmese and retics agree that retics are safer snakes and not as..well dumb. and that if a person is interested in getting their first large snake that in their opinion they should choose a retic over a burmese.

so i was just wondering what you burm owners and retics owners think. are retics more intelligent snakes? have you guys had more problems with your burms than your retics? for a person looking to buy a large snake would you suggest a burm or retic?

Re: burmese vs. retics..opinions please :]

I have to say to get a female boa. Easier to handle when full grown and can reach 8-10 feet with a occassional 12 in there.

On a side note, I have heard bums to be easier to handle then retics. It all depends on the snake and just like people, we all have different personalities and so do snakes.

There is a guy on this forum that has a to die for retic that looks super tame. I guess it all depends on how it is raised, handled and personality.

Good luck and again, I say go with a boa. lol

Comment

i agree with the boa.
      im just saying. if you are looking for a large snake like a retic, burmese, etc. lol.

yeah. my friend's two retics are dog tame.and his normal retic is very sweet.

here's a video of them
      YouTube - Albino calico reticulated python and regular retic in the back yard

Comment

I have experience with both and think burms are more predictable. BUT, IMHO, you prob aren't ready for either. No offense. in this day and time, I'd say that most/a very high percentance of the peeps who buy a large breed pythons, HAVE NO IDEA what they're getting into! THIS is the reason RESPONSIBLE herpers are at risk of losing our hobby/career, cuz NOOBS get these "cool" snakes and DO NOT have the knowledge to properly care for them.

Look, I know Im coming across as a huge JERK, but Im tired of seeing neglected animals! Please, please, please do your homework and get PROPER housing before you get a "big boy/girl".

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Ross View Post
          I have experience with both and think burms are more predictable. BUT, IMHO, you prob aren't ready for either. No offense. in this day and time, I'd say that most/a very high percentance of the peeps who buy a large breed pythons, HAVE NO IDEA what they're getting into! THIS is the reason RESPONSIBLE herpers are at risk of losing our hobby/career, cuz NOOBS get these "cool" snakes and DO NOT have the knowledge to properly care for them.

Look, I know Im coming across as a huge JERK, but Im tired of seeing neglected animals! Please, please, please do your homework and get PROPER housing before you get a "big boy/girl".
          Very well said my friend.

Comment

ok ok ok...let me clarify.
            im not interested in getting a large snake myself. i was only asking in general, if someone who has done the proper homework and is fully aware of the husbandry and commitment of a large snake, which would you recommend?

i do completely agree with everything you said.better someone be a "jerk" by telling the truth in a blunt way then someone just go out and by a burm or retic just to be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by misspeachesx View Post
              ok ok ok...let me clarify.
              im not interested in getting a large snake myself. i was only asking in general, if someone who has done the proper homework and is fully aware of the husbandry and commitment of a large snake, which would you recommend?

i do completely agree with everything you said.better someone be a "jerk" by telling the truth in a blunt way then someone just go out and by a burm or retic just to be cool.

Well then, I guess it is a matter of personal preference.

I appreciate your understanding of my constructive criticism.

Comment

no problem. :]

Comment

I don't have experience with retics but they seem to be much faster and also have the kind of feeding response that can be dangerous if you are not doing things properly. I like both of these species but as of right now the burms are what we keep. Maybe a retic at some point in time.

Comment

My old room mate used to call them "articulated pythons" lol And he honestly thought thats what they were. We would go into pet stores and he would talk about them and the reptile guys were like...whaaaat. lol what an idiot. He one of those "this is cool, i want one" type of people. Good thing he cant afford anything but a ball python or else he would be asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by misspeachesx View Post
                      if someone who has done the proper homework and is fully aware of the husbandry and commitment of a large snake, which would you recommend?
                      Depends on the person. If you're a more laid back, passive kind of person, then a burm is propably better for you because they won't push you as much as a 'Tic will. If you're more "Type A", you'll get bored with the burm pretty quickly, but you'll love a 'Tic because they'll keep you on your toes.

Having owned both, I personally found 'Tics more rewarding.
                      "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

articulated pythons? xD

yeah.there was a 10ft burm for sale for $300 over here at our LPS. i asked about her and they offered her to me for $250 [the woman that works there doesn't like big snakes and wanted her gone] and i said no because i don't have any knowledge about big snakes like that and she tried to tell me that this burm wasn't going to get any bigger and that she'd make a great kid's pet. [im 17 but im only 5' tall..im sure she thought i was like 14 xD]

Comment

i own both, but prefer a retic definlately. burms are more of a big bumbling goofy snake, where retics are alot smarter and more responsive to their keeper. a retic will also test their keeper more than a burm will, especially at first, if you show any hesistation or fear you are begging to get bit lol. our burms here have never tested me, but have been really easy to handle even during feedings. retics are alot easier IMO to read than a burm. i can always tell how mine are feeling and what they will tolerate that day. but dont stick your hands anywhere near the retics when they know their food is thawing! they are very enthusiastic eaters and would grab my hands if i let them. at any other time, when food is not thawing out, they are perfectly fine with me reaching in, petting them, doing a little cleaning, and taking them out. retics are also more beautiful IMO

Comment

yeah.thats how my friend described burms lol.

so i was just wondering. how do anacondas compare to retics and burms?

Comment

ive only met one anaconda, a big 14-ish foot female that a friend of mine owns. shes really cool!! shes very sweet and seems to enjoy coming out of the cage. my conda experience is limited to a few times that i have met that big girl lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X