Split subcaudals/scutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split subcaudals/scutes

i just got a young albino burmese male (after heaps of research to decide if i could handle one). i just noticed that a series of 5 subcaudals have imperfections down the middle. they do not appear to be completely split in half, it just looks like a line scored down the middle. i just got the little guy and he seems healthy and alert. i just wanted to consult the more experienced python keepers to put my mind at ease lol. thanks in advance for your help guys.

Re: Split subcaudals/scutes

Put up a pic please and I'm sure some one can help ya. Congratulations on your new buddy

Comment

here is a picture of the Scutes in question

Comment

I've seen that a lot. It is nothing to sorry about from what I've read. I think it has something to do with the yolk sac, but I'm not sure.

Tim

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

Originally posted by tsblair View Post
          I've seen that a lot. It is nothing to sorry about from what I've read. I think it has something to do with the yolk sac, but I'm not sure.

Tim
          That's exactly what it has to do with. It's where the yolk sac was attached to the snake as a baby. It closes off a few days after being born, and that's the mark it will forever have. It will fad a bit as it ages.

Now how about a full pic of your new friend!

-Will

Comment

Originally posted by THESURFER View Post
            That's exactly what it has to do with. It's where the yolk sac was attached to the snake as a baby. It closes off a few days after being born, and that's the mark it will forever have. It will fad a bit as it ages.

Now how about a full pic of your new friend!

-Will
            Precisely. Think of it as a belly button.

Comment

thanks guys, i have looked at so much information about burmese pythons lately that i am suprised i missed that. do they all have it? Either way, im glad my little buddy is all healthy. I will post a picture of him tomorrow. he is about 40" long and he is possibly het labyrinth, so maybe in a few years i will breed him and get maze-ey babies.

Comment

The labrynth is awesome. I like the Albino Labryinth also! Let's see some pics!

Comment

Pictures as requested. My girlfriend was kind enough to model him for me lol

Comment

Originally posted by terminusthrall View Post
                    Pictures as requested. My girlfriend was kind enough to model him for me lol

beauty of a Burmese ya got there!

Comment

Awesome snake!!!

Comment

Thanks guys, he is a super cute little guy. he is not nippy at all and even though we have not had him that long he only hisses a little bit while he is in his tank. the guy i got him from said that the guy HE got him from was only feeding him a small mouse every other week so he is only 40" long even though he hatched in march. from everything ive read, he should be getting up near 5 or 6 feet by now had he been adequately fed.

Comment

Originally posted by terminusthrall View Post
                          i just got a young albino burmese male (after heaps of research to decide if i could handle one). i just noticed that a series of 5 subcaudals have imperfections down the middle. they do not appear to be completely split in half, it just looks like a line scored down the middle. i just got the little guy and he seems healthy and alert. i just wanted to consult the more experienced python keepers to put my mind at ease lol. thanks in advance for your help guys.

I Can almost guarantee even without pictures what you looking at is the Pythons belly button . . .

On a baby Boas and Pythons they have little slits where the umbilical cord was !

Oh ya with pictures that is the belly button

Lar M
                          Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

If it a male, there is an easy way to tell if it is the belly button. As they get older it will start to collect lint.

Comment

Working...
                            X