• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avalanche
    replied
    Re: my new python is breathing hard?

Originally posted by GregsMoko View Post
    I sometimes sit in front of his house and talk to him hoping he'll get used to the sound of my voice.
    Snakes do not have ears so they don't actually hear you talking to them. If your voice is low enough he might be able to pick up on some vibrations but that's it.

Leave a comment:

• GregsMoko
    replied

Thanks for the advice but I guess I'm just being over protective, today when I brought Moko out for a while he still breathed a little harder but calmed down and seemed to relax as I held and petted him. He's starting to check me out while I'm holding him (little freaky but necessary) he's not trying to flee and seems less jumpy. He's really amazing and sooo beautiful. I sometimes sit in front of his house and talk to him hoping he'll get used to the sound of my voice. Oh and most importantly today when I put him back in his house instead of taking off into his hide, he stayed out and just hung around nice and calm like, im

Leave a comment:

• Tekpc007
    replied

great vid , they do get huffy and puffy when upset until they are used to being handled. get a small hook , it will take a few months .

Leave a comment:

• TheAtrum
    replied

Often times, snakes that are fairly new and haven't been handled a lot usually will breathe heavily when taken out. Unless there are other signs of illness, such as excessive mucous and wheezing, it is most likely stress and I would just keep working at it; usually they will calm down with time and age, so just keep an eye on it. Good luck with your new snake.

Leave a comment:

• Pandorasdad
    replied

Is he hissing at you? Do you have any pics or video of him doing it?

It may just be that he is a little stressed. Give him a couple of days between handling and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• GregsMoko
    replied
    Making progress:-)

Second time holding Moko and did really well, I held him and brushed him lightly and he never took off, but when he calmly started moving around with me still petting him I decided it was a good time to put him back in his home.. Things were going great I opened the door and he calmly slid away into his hide or so I thought.... I learned a good lesson right then, when I brought him out I moved his hide but forgot to put it back before putting Moko in. Now I've got a snake who is stretched out where his hide was but he doesn't want to move so I can put it back. All in all a good second visit but he got a little freaked out with me trying to move him again. I wonder if I just screwed up the progress I previously made with him. Your thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• GregsMoko
    started a topic my new python is breathing hard?

my new python is breathing hard?

When I take my new snake out (it's been a week) he starts breathing harder and I get worried and put him back. I love him and don't want anything bad to happen. Is this normal or is he freaking out?
Working...
X