Reoccurring Respiratory Infection-Help Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reoccurring Respiratory Infection-Help Needed

My female Ball Python has yet another respiratory infection and I don't know what to do. First I will give a little background for those of you that don't know the story.

Boots went off feed in early December shortly after I got her and did not begin to eat again until 3 weeks ago.  She is currently eating a fuzzy mouse every 5-7 days.  In February, I pulled two ticks off her; she shed and was diagnosed with a RI.  She was given baytril for 6 days and when I took her back to the vet for a re-check, I was told that it hadn't cleared completely but that she would be fine.  Boots was also given a Vitamin A injection and I was told that she should start eating within the next two weeks.  After two weeks passed and she still had not eaten, I gave her to a friend of mine who deals with a lot of ball pythons.  He was able to get her to go back on feed earlier this month.  

I haven't had problems with her eating since, however about 5 days ago I noticed that she was resting with her head up at an angle and yawning a lot.  I took her out to examine her more closely and noticed that the mucous in her mouth was excessive.  More so than the last time she had a RI.  I still had baytril left from the last time so I began injections immediately and increased the heat in her cage.

My questions are as follows:  Assuming that she does not go off feed again; will the extra nutrients that she is now getting since she is eating, help her fight the current RI?  Since the baytril did not work completely the first time, is something else recommended?  Tylan?  A multivitamin that I can give her?  

I have not taken her back to the vet with the new RI because I knew what the problem was and I had the extra baytril still at home.  Maybe I should just take her back to the vet?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Cheska

Re: Reoccurring Respiratory Infection-Help Needed

No advice?? ???

Well, I have been giving her the Baytril now for 7 days and I am going to stop. She has stopped yawning and doesn't seem to have the massive amount of mucous that she had before. There is a slight wheeze, but she has drastically improved. Eating well and very active.

s12.gif I just hope things continue to go down this path.

Cheska

Comment

Actually my ball was having the same problems. I actually gave him the baytril for 10 days and kept the entire cage between 90 and 100. I think you've pretty much did what you could do. The rest is up to him.

Comment

With an RI, alot of people will tell yo to raise the temps and lower the humidity. In my opinion, this is one of the worst things you can do. Keep the cage temps and humidy at optimal levels. I use Baytril to treat RIs. 10mg/kg initial injection and 5 for followup doses. Works great for me. "Drying out" a snake (raising temps and lowering moisture) can make it worse and also stress out the snake more.

Comment

Thanks guys. It has been a long frustrating road with this one. It really makes me want to cry when I see her this way. She is still eating well and doesn't seem to have her head sticking so far up in the air. I can't wait for this to be over.

cheska

Comment

The fact that she is eating is a very good sign!!!! Mine is still on off feed. But soon I hope he'll start again!!

Comment

Yup, eating is a great sign. Helps to keep their strength up and they are able to fight infection better.

Comment

Prior to her going off feed, she was eating hopper to small adult mice size. I kept attempting to get her to feed on those with no luck. No sooner had a friend of mine came up with the bright idea that she might think those are too big........bam she ate a fuzzy mouse. I know that they say a snake should eat a mouse the size of it's girth (mine is the size of a cadbury cream egg, couldn't think of anything else to help you visualize) cwm27.gif but her neck is only the size of my pinky finger. Anyway, my point is, Evil, maybe you could try smaller prey. s1.gif

Comment

Not a bad Idea, to start off with. He's been off feed since October, then he got poisoned from the no pest strips, then the RI, so he has not been in any mood to eat. But since he's much better now. I might try the whole hopper or fuzzy thing. He usually was eating a small to medium rat before he went off feed.

Comment

HI,
                    Please review the resistant resp  infection in boa's post, many reptiles can get an infection that has caused considerable problems clearing it up, as soon as the animal come off the drugs wham its back.. This may not be needed now but useful info if the RI returns..
                    http://www.redtailboas.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1047136728
                     good luck, many vets are not up to speed on treating mycoplasm like RI in reptiles so you may want to print the  Resistant RI post for reference.
                      This has been a big problem in the python community for years. many animals die because of lack of knowledge on the vets part.
                     Doug

Comment

Working...
                    X