My python just can't catch a break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My python just can't catch a break

OK, first he gets mites, then while trying to make him better and to get rid of the mites he gets sick from the vapona (no pest strips). I get him acting more normal, and I find that he bit his tongue (at least I'm thinking that's what happened). Now he crawling around opening his mouth to breath, like he's having trouble.  :'( :-/ We're going to take him to the vet soon, to make sure he's OK. But I thought I'd ask what you what you all thought. I've listened to him breath and it doesn't sound gurgley at all, and there is no mucus coming out of his mouth. But while I was soaking him this last time, (I'm still soaking him to make sure to get all of the poisons out of his system. But I've cut down to once a day now.) I was able to hear him breath and it sounded like he was out of breath. Kind of like he just got done running a 4 mile marathon. Very deep, heavy and short breaths. His enclosure temps are 78-80 on cool side and 84-86 on warm side. It has a 50%-65% humidity. Right now that's the warmest I can get it. I've had a heat lamp on the tank to increase the temps, but the lamp got the tank up around 100 and I didn't want to roast him, so I took it off and covered the tank, so that It wouldn't get too cool and the heat couldn't escape. Do you think it could be an RI that he may have developed from the soakings? I did make sure the water remained luke warm and didn't get cold, but replacing the water and placing the container on top of the heater vent on our floor. Do you think it may even an RI at all? Could it still be a reaction to the vapona that he just has to get out of his system? I'm a bit worried and due to some financial situations that we are going through, I can't get him to the vet right away. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Re: My python just can't catch a break

Does no one have any ideas on why he is constently opening his mouth all the time? ??? :'(I mean could it still be from the no pest strips. He's still not eating, but he still might be in hibernation mode. Still offering though. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Comment

I sent ya a pm evil_karot

Comment

Thanks, I just pm'd you back.

Comment

I took him to the vet today. He said that he does have a slight RI and gave me some meds. I'm giving him .5 ML a day for the next 10 days. He also investigated about the "No pest strip" poisoning, and discovered something to give him, which is to help him through is and to flush out his system and counter the effects. He gave him .5 ML of Atropine. So, hopefully, he'll be getting better soon!!!! :-/

Comment

Good luck, I wish you all the best. s12.gif I know how difficult it is dealing with a sick snake, and it's never fun.

Cheska

Comment

For the mites use provent o mite! Pest strips work well but ya gotta know how to use them or ya poison the animals. Provent o mite is clinically proven to work and be safe when used correctly. Hope this helps Jason

Comment

I'm starting to lean toward Reptile Relief. From everyone that I've heard using it, they have had no problems and would recommend it to anyone. It works relatively well and is really cheap. From what I hear, you can spray directly on the reptile with no ill effects.

Comment

Yes that is true. It is supposed to work well on directly on reptiles but I dont like the idea of spraying a toxin directly on animals. The other problem with it it only kills mites directly exposed on the animals surface. It doesnt leave the residue effect provent o mite does to kill mites that hatch out after the application. Provent o mite will make any cage its sprayed in a mite free enviro for 3-4 weeks. So if ya kill whats on the animals with reptile relief youll be doing the same in a few weeks when the eggs hatch. hope this helps Jason

Comment

hey Evil..how's he doing now ? Any better at all ?

Comment

He's actually doing much better!!! ;D s9.gif b27.gif He's becoming more active and less shaky. He's not opening his mouth, trying to breath quite as much either. I have two doses left and the meds are gone. But I don't think he'll need any more after that. He REALLY does not like being held any more, but I don't blame him. I mean, now every time he gets held and gets to come out of the cage, he gets a shot!!! I wouldn't want to come out either. He's soaking a lot now too. Every time he soaks and gets out of the water, we change the water too. Just in case there are any poisons still left, coming out in the water and any of the RI virus coming out in the water. I'm keeping the heat up too. Up to 92 degrees during this time. It was getting past 100, but I changed the light buld to a lower wattage. I'm guessing that within the month, he should be over it completely. s12.gif I'm trying to keep the humidity down too. I'm not sure if I'm suppose to, but I know that if I have a summer chest cold and it's really humid outside, I feel even worse. So I'm keeping the humidity down below 50% to help with that. Is this a bad thing? Just curious. Now as soon as he eats, I know he'll be completely better.

Comment

He is much, much better. The RI is just about gone, he still opens and closes his mouth a little bit. But nothing like he use to. The Shakiness is completely gone, he's crawling around like a normal snake. Still hasn't eaten yet, but I'm sure that'll come. He still freaks out when I try to pick him up. He's all like, "NOOOOOO, I don't want a shot. I'm sorry Daddy, I'll be good. I Promise I won't get sick again, NOOOOOOOO!!!" LOL!!! Then once I hold him for awhile and he realizes that he's not getting a shot, he calms down. I'm so glad that he's better. I was getting very worried.

Comment

s3.gif s5.gif s3.gif s5.gif s3.gif s5.gif s3.gif s3.gif s28.gif b17.gif Just when I thought things were getting better, it got worse again. I don't know if he just has very, very, very bad luck or If I'm just the worse father in the world!!! He's no longer shaking, the RI is just about gone and now he has scale rot, I think. He was in the middle of shed awhile ago, so I sprayed him down quite a bit and kept the humidity high to help him shed. Well, he shed in shreds!! I also noticed that bits and pieces where still attached to his body and head. So I continued to spray him, and soak him hoping that he would eventually get the shed off on his own. Well, he did get it off of his body, but not his head. Finally, after a week of waiting and continued spraying and keeping very high humidity, I used a wet washcloth and wetted down his head and lightly rubbed his head with the damp washcloth to get the remaining shed off and I noticed the hind end of his tail was a rust color and a couple of scales were swallen, in fact one of them popped while I was checking him out. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW!!!!!! I am so worried about this little guy!!! He has gone through so much these last several months!!! He still has not eaten, though I don't blame him!! I read the section in the home remedies for scale rot for boas. Would the same policy apply for balls, or is there some other steps I need to take. s3.gif s5.gif cwm24.gif cwm25.gif s3.gif s3.gif s3.gif :'( :'( :'(

Comment

Working...
                          X