my ball will not eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my ball will not eat

i got it like 5 week ago and it will not eat i tryed live and killed hopper mice and baby rat andi tryed all colors then i tryed puting it in some warm water and no go i looked for tick and mites and i do not see them so what can i try

thanks ken horn (b.a.k.a) skeeterhorn

Re: my ball will not eat

Was it eating when you bought it, how old is it? Sometimes balls will go off feed during the winter months. Mine did it and it use to frusrate the hell out of me. Are the temps, humidity right and does it have a hide. These all make a big difference in a snakes feeding response.

Comment

thay sead it was eating when i got it it got the tem at 85 and it hides in the hut all the time i put water in all the time i dont know what is going on

Comment

How old is it, did they say what it was eating when you purchased it? If it is old enough to be eating hamsters and that was what it was fed it may be addicted to them. Does it have a temp gradient so it can choose how warm it wants to be. Have you tryed leaving a frozen/ thawed rodent in its inclosure over night? This might work as my ball python would only eat if I was gone and it was dark. They are after all nocturnal. Do you handle it alot on the same day you try to feed it? If so you may be stressing it out, this will cause it not to eat.

p.s. what type of cage do you keep it in?

Comment

i dont know how old it is its about 20 in long .
          and thay sead that it is eating hopped mice 1 a week
          and i have it in a 10 gal long tank
          yes it has a cool side it like to hid in the hut all the time do you thank it is trying to hibernat it come out some times .
          no i have not left it over night i will try that

Comment

Don't know for sure if it is trying to hibernate but try leaving a DEAD rodent outside it's hide over night. Thats what has worked for me with my ball. Balls as a whole can be very finicky eaters, thats why I prefere boas. But hey to each his own.
            Good luck.

Comment

ya that is what i did and no go so i gave it to a buddy and when out and got a red tail i had him for 3 days and he has eating i like the boas to so thanks for all the help ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

To clear some things up, ball pythons do not hibernate. If your snake has not ate since you have received it, it could be some speculation that he was not feeding. Where did you get him from and is he wild caught. They are finicky eaters as many people know. Try offering a dead prey item at night with the lights out and noone around. Leave overnight and check the next morning. I've got some on them to eat by leaving a prey item beside their hide overnight like stated. I've also had some they stayed off feed for months at a time. A checkup for parasites would not be bad either.

Comment

:-/ Now that you gave the BP to your buddy is he having the same prob. as you did , no eatting??? If so tell your buddy to try putting a small mouse in some old gerbil bedding for a hr and then try to feed it and see what happens..

Comment

How often are your trying to feed it. From the variety of offered items you posted it sounds like every day or every other day? That could be the problem many times with new animals people try to feed them to soon and stress them. Then they try to feed to often which ads to the stress of the new enviro etc. Anything new I dont even atemt to feed for ten days if it doesnt eat I wait another ten. In the mean time I only bother it to check its water and beyond that leave it alone so it can aclimate to the new home. Although it sounds to me more like you have a wild caught and thats the problem. What I do with wild caughts is atempt differant prey item every ten days for six months if its doesnt start eating somewhere in that time with the larger ones I force feed them two fuzzy rats 10 days apart. Thus far its worked everytime, after that they start feeding on a reg basis. Check it for ticks and mites as well. Ive seen other people offer other ways of dealing with them but the best way to deal with ticks and mites and if you ball is wild caught not feeding its pretty sure to have them, is provent o mite. You can mess around for hours picking off ticks and mites. Scrub cages etc and pray you didnt miss any and got all the eggs with bleach or something that would kill them. Or use provent o mite and in one ap your done! Hope this helps Jason

Comment

some bp's like to stop eating for a little while but it shouldnt be too long before he eats but im not sure.

luck

and one reason my bp wouldnt eat is becouse what i was giving to him was way to small so if not try to go to something bigger

Comment

Working...
                      X