1.2 Savu Pythons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.2 Savu Pythons

This awesome trio was just shipped up from Florida to me this week. The two females are three months old and still very defensive; both tried to take a chunk out of me as soon as they were free of the deli cup they were shipped in. The male is a year old, well into his color change from orange to black, quite chilled out and very easily handled. Another part of the color change is that their eyes turn white.

They reach maturity at around five years of age and can live 20+ years in captivity. Adult females are about five feet long, and males are around four feet long, making them one of the smallest known python species. Their home range is the 60 square mile island of Sawu off the coast of Indonesia. I'm really looking forward to working with these critters.

Female

Female

Male

Re: 1.2 Savu Pythons

Beautiful looking python
    sigpicJrock23

Comment

These guys are great looking snakes, this is actually the first time I have seen these as babies/youngsters I think. Enjoy!

Comment

Your male reminds me of my Aussie spotted python (mine is actually a granite phase), but she has never tried to bite me. I really enjoy these little pythons, more than I'd have thought...your trio looks totally awesome
        & we'll look forward to your updates on them. Shipping in deli-cups is pretty stressful, can't fault them for coming out "teeth first" LOL.

Comment

LOL no, I can't! Though the two females have settled down a lot. All three ate today, f/t mouse pinkies for the two little girls, and a f/t mouse fuzzy for the boy.

Comment

Off to a good start then! (-eating) Funny how they do such a color change...it must somehow work to their survival at various growth phases?

Comment

Those are really cool! I love the eyes!
              “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
              www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                Off to a good start then! (-eating) Funny how they do such a color change...it must somehow work to their survival at various growth phases?
                I honestly have no idea.

Comment

Are Savu Pythons arboreal? or semi-arboreal?

Comment

Originally posted by ElNino95 View Post
                    Are Savu Pythons arboreal? or semi-arboreal?
                    I don't believe so, they usually prefer to burrow.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
                      I don't believe so, they usually prefer to burrow.
                      Oh okay. They have a body that is similar to tree boas. Or at least they do when they are young. Definitely some beautiful pythons though.

Comment

Congratulations! I have to admit I don't know much of anything about these guys. They are pretty cool though, keep posting updates on them please?
                        http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Originally posted by ElNino95 View Post
                          Oh okay. They have a body that is similar to tree boas. Or at least they do when they are young. Definitely some beautiful pythons though.
                          I can't speak for Savu pythons but my Aussie spotted python (which to me, they physically resemble) is clearly semi-arboreal....mine spends much time basking on her branches.

Comment

Working...
                          X