Feeding while shedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding while shedding

My boa's eyes are cloudy, she look dull so I think she is about to shed. She is due for her feeding tommorow. Should I take her out to feed or leave her alone until she finish shedding?

Re: Feeding while shedding

feeding during shed is OK. some will tell you otherwise, but most (including myself) do it and haven't ever had any problems. you may wanna feed in-cage, but that's a whole different debate

Comment

Ok thanks. I will do it in her shoe box, she needs privacy or she won't eat.

Comment

Your snake will let you know if they want to eat during shed or not. Otherwise there is nothing set in stone about it. All 3 of my boas eat during shed. ...My female BCI is just as aggressive about eating during shed cycle as any other time.

Give it a shot. If she doesn't feel up to eating she'll refuse it. No biggie.

Comment

go for it. I just feed mine in shed 3 days ago and today the fat and happy dh sunglow gave me a perfect shed. She was looking for more food even though she had a large meal........

Comment

It usually doesn't cause a problem. However, if the animal is close to coming out of a shed I wouldn't feed it.

I had 2 boas regurge on me because I fed them the day before they were coming out of their skin. I was greeted on both occasions with a shed skin and a regurged meal.

I think the constant moving they went through to shed perhaps gave them an upset stomach or the meal was "in the way" so they regurged in order to shed their skin. I no longer feed a boa I think is coming close to the end of a shed. But early on like in your case is no prob.

Comment

ive always offered food, either they take it or wont but most the time they take it for me.

I would say its ok, like someone else said feed in the cage.

Comment

I have two snakes living in the tank both, red tail boas. Bermuda (she has a pink belly) stays under her rock and eat live hoppers. Bahamas (albino) is the one who is shedding and she eat frozen hoppers but she stay on a vine. How do I feed her in the tank? Do I use tongs? I don't want Bermuda to smell the mouse & come out and try to eat it. Also I've heard storys about snakes biting when you put your hand in their tank when they get older if you start feeding them inside the tank. Something about feeding them in a different area let them know that they don't eat in the tank so it lessens the chances of them striking you when you reach in their tank to get them.

Comment

All of mine eat in shed but 2 so I would try.

Comment

Originally posted by Fizz702 View Post
                    ive always offered food, either they take it or wont but most the time they take it for me.

I would say its ok, like someone else said feed in the cage.
                    that sums up my answer

i feed in shed never had an issue so its all how you feel about it

Comment

Working...
                    X