Sand or Dumeril boa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sand or Dumeril boa

Stuck between the two which would make a better pet.

Re: Sand or Dumeril boa

never owned either but dums are cooler IMO

Comment

Dumerils. Sand boas look like overweight earth worms when they are small and if they are being cared for properly you usually only see them when they are feeding. Boring and disappointing looking and acting IMO. The Dumeril is a proper sized snake with some killer patterns I'd go that way.

Mat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunglikeafruitbat View Post
        Dumerils. Sand boas look like overweight earth worms when they are small and if they are being cared for properly you usually only see them when they are feeding. Boring and disappointing looking and acting IMO. The Dumeril is a proper sized snake with some killer patterns I'd go that way.

Mat.
        Should I stick with what I know and go for a rtb? I kinda want a breeding pair but I'm intimidated by all the work that goes into it.

Comment

This is a good question that I'm curious of too.

I have not owned either but The Dumeril is on my list of ones to get. I've always liked them and have read that they are really really great to have. The size they get is also pretty nice compared to the sand (but I like the big ones).

I have played with a Kenyan Sand at a pet store and I really liked him a lot. He peed on me though lol. He was quite active and probably 10 inches long. Personally, it wouldn't bother me if I couldn't see it because they burrow and I have enough that like to come out so if I got one who don't that would be alright. I just read a thread here not too long ago (1 week or 2 max) about someone who got some new sand boas and has been keeping them for some time and has several. They really talked highly of them.

Now I do have 2 rtbs and you can't go wrong there either lol. For breeding I've not done it yet either but I will try it the next season which gives lots of time to read up and then bug everyone here with questions about what I don't get. If you want to breed rtbs I think you can do the same I am and just prepare for the next season so it can be done right and successful. That is if you don't want the other types...

Comment

Originally posted by Reyes81487 View Post
            Should I stick with what I know and go for a rtb? I kinda want a breeding pair but I'm intimidated by all the work that goes into it.
            I have no experience breeding any snakes yet so my knowledge is very limited here, really I only know one thing about baby Dumerils and that is you have to separate them right away as they tend to eat each other (for some weird reason that makes them more attractive to me lol)

Mat.

Comment

Get both!!

I have a couple Kenyans and they are pretty cool little snakes. I will likely also get a dumeril in the near future because I've always liked them.

Just more to add to the collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunglikeafruitbat View Post
                I have no experience breeding any snakes yet so my knowledge is very limited here, really I only know one thing about baby Dumerils and that is you have to separate them right away as they tend to eat each other (for some weird reason that makes them more attractive to me lol)

Mat.
                Kinda adds to the attraction but sadly there both adults rescues from petfinder lucky for me there really cheap and local lol

Comment

I have some rubber boa's (similar, I think to sand) and recently picked up a dumeril. They are all awesome, but I gotta say, I love that little dum. He is so cool and easy to handle. Hard not to reccomend getting a dumeril.

Comment

If you prefer a smaller pet, go with the Sand Boa. If you like a larger pet, go with the Dumeril Boa.

Both are good choices. I've never owned a Dumeril, but I know a few people that have and they really liked them. They were on the smaller side, about 6 feet, and stayed very docile.

I have had Sand Boas. I really like them. They're very docile and never bite. They're small and easy to handle. The only thing I don't like about my Sand Boas.....

Well, I bred her back in 2003 or maybe she gave birth in 2003. I'd have to check my notes on that. ANYWAY.... She had a litter. Now "EVERY YEAR" she passes either slugs and/or preemies. I don't have a clue as how to stop this process. She hasn't see the male since he bred her that first time, but she keeps "ouvulating!!!". She still has "some" retained sperm, because she'll have a couple of preemies in there every other year or so. BTW she's carrying "something" again this year. I really wish she'd stop doing that.

So, both are good. Just make sure, if you get a Sand Boa for a pet, you keep her a pet..... Or just get a "male" Sand Boa.

Comment

so its official its a rtb and a ball python. switched it up lol.
                      here is a pic of dixie a female rtb

Comment

I would go for a Dum. They are great. Here is my '07 boy Draco.

Comment

Working...
                        X