No announcement yet.

Snake evolution..."nightmare" for some?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake evolution..."nightmare" for some?

Here's the link my snake-hating brother just shared with me...for him, it suggested "Snakes on a Plane", but it made me think of the Trans Pecos rat snakes that I keep. They are known to
    consume some bats in the wild...so I guess now I should be on the lookout for gang symbols in their cages. Actually, of the many kinds of snakes I've worked with, they do seem to be
    somewhat "evolved" in comparison, & they are among my favorite snakes. Anyway, this is a cool observation involving Cuban boas & something to ponder, eh? >>>>

Wait, what? Scientists discover snakes that hunt in packs - CNN.com

Re: Snake evolution..."nightmare" for some?

Haha. I was just about to post this! It makes me happy that snakes are getting studied more and more in the wild. We just started watching Planet Earth II last week and they have a lot of cool clips of snakes/reptiles : )
    “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
    www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

I think it's more likely that they're congregating at the site of a plentiful food source. It's not like the snakes are sharing their kills.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
        I think it's more likely that they're congregating at the site of a plentiful food source. It's not like the snakes are sharing their kills.
        Natural selection favors those who utilize techniques that get the most food etc. It's not as if they can share a kill but perhaps somehow they "know" they do better as a group.
        Hey, ya gotta start "somewhere"? As Zaphod42 said, I'm happy to see snakes & other reptiles getting more attention from the scientific community...who knows what they'll
        turn up? With further study, this may prove to be a false assumption, but at least they're looking. And it's always possible that they're evolving...it's not just "us".

Comment

These are boas which will usually only eat maybe once or twice a month anyways. This increases odds that they will eat more. So it is technically coordinated hunting. They know if they keep doing it they will eat more often.

Comment

They're likely being directed by instincts, maybe not conscious thought, but it gets results. Now if only snakes would learn to chew their food, they could hunt like a pack of wolves & share the kill, lol...

Comment

Working...
            X