This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East African Gaboon Viper

I just picked this little girl up 4 days ago, she's 4 1/2 months old and apprx. 8-10 inch's long
    with a good appetite. Her name is Ginger.

Re: East African Gaboon Viper

One of the prettiest snakes in existence. Congrats and be safe

Comment

I would echo the prior post....I understand these are a bit hard to read & nothing to take lightly. Beautiful though...

Comment

My favorite all time hot right there. Congratulations and I agree, be safe!
        http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Ginger is in shed now her eyes are getting cloudy, had her out today also for awhile with no problems.
          I wont take her out again until she completes shedding.

Comment

I know that most hospitals can handle rattlesnake bites, especially in areas where they're common, but what about a Gaboon bite? What happens in the event that she does tag you?

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
              I know that most hospitals can handle rattlesnake bites, especially in areas where they're common, but what about a Gaboon bite? What happens in the event that she does tag you?
              I was thinking that too...and my guess is, it won't be good. There was a gal that was killed in So Calif by her gaboon some years back. (she wasn't keeping it legally either) Gaboons are beautiful snakes & often appear
              mellow, since they are ambush-predators, but dealing with their ample (& non-native) venom and longer fangs that inject deeply, well good luck! I personally wouldn't 'go there'.

Comment

Well I guess I Die.

Comment

Originally posted by 54bogger View Post
                  Well I guess I Die.
                  Right...but that's not a good option, not if you care about your snakes & the added "fallout" for both snakes & keepers everywhere. When stuff like this hits the news, more misguided
                  people feel sure they're doing the right thing to kill every snake they see. We need to move forward (educating people), not backwards. And what happens to your pets if you die from
                  a bite? I'm willing to bet that they are destroyed (by authorities) as a result.

I get that you're not afraid, but you don't have to prove it either. We'd rather have you around...a little "self-preservation" isn't such a bad thing, for both you AND your snakes. And
                  I gotta say, it takes more courage to live in & try to change this world for the better than it does to bail.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 54bogger View Post
                      Well I guess I Die.
                      See, you seem to have taken that the wrong way. I was asking a legitimate question. I'm really not looking to pick a fight or argue with you. I'm actually interested in your contingency plans should the worst happen.

Sent from my HTC One via Tapatalk

-Sean in NoCal
                      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I too am curious to know what the plans would be or how do you go about owning a hot snake with hospitals not prepared for such victims?
                        I would love to own a cobra, but with me I just don't see it being possible???

Comment

Have you ever watched viper keeper on YouTube or read his Facebook page? He deals in hots including gaboon vipers. You need to purchase your own antivenom to have on hand to get you through the period of waiting for additional antivenom to be shipped to the hospital. If your snake is illegal, do you really care for her all that much? She will be confiscated and euthanized if not able to have a hot handler nearby to pick her up. Time to start looking into options other than dying if you get bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I apologize for not answering your question, but I've been bashed on this site and others for how I handle my snakes and I just thought it was gonna be another bash-fest.
                            Now if I get bit and go to the hospital and they have no anti-venom the riverbank zoo is only about 95 miles away and they have it. As to it being legal to own a Gaboon in my state, it is legal. Nothing I'm doing is illegal in my state, I'm braking no laws. I've said this again and again, I do not recommend anyone copy what I do!!
                            As for Ginger my baby Gaboon, we're taking it slowly! I'm no professional snake handler and I don't know everything but I ENJOY LEARNING. For instance, I've read much on gaboon behavior how they puff up and hiss loudly if agitated. Well when I had Ginger out a couple of days ago she kept slipping off my leg and I kept having to move her around and put her back, well she didn't puff up and hiss instead she just began to shake her tail kind of like a rattler and I knew she was becoming annoyed. I've never read that about Gaboons but it was just another learning experience, folks I'm not as reckless as you may think, if I was I'd already be dead. Thanks

Comment

It seems that most kinds of snakes may do a tail vibration when they are stressed (even some that aren't ever known for doing that, like a rosy boa) so it's good you're paying attention. Just remember that like
                              us humans, some are "quieter" than others. You do obviously have good rapport with snakes: it's just that even though they aren't "out to get us", they make mistakes sometimes.

Glad to know you don't have a 'death wish', it almost sounded that way in your earlier post. And by the way, I was not implying that your pets are illegal where you are either, I was pretty sure you're legal there.

If you don't have someone close to you (friends or family) that knows what to do with these snakes though, it might be time to find some back-up? Anti-venom & hospitalization for bites are super-expensive too...

I also want to say that even though I've taken some chances in the past & yet posted that I wouldn't personally do this stuff (with a gaboon) I am just going for the "conversation" here. I recently watched some
                              guys interviewed who put on those wind-suits (like flying squirrels!) and leap off cliffs to "fly". They admitted losing quite a number of friends who've died doing what they're doing...and I gotta say I wouldn't do
                              that for any amount of money, but it's their choice, just as this is yours. We wouldn't even have airplanes if no one ever did risky things.

Comment

Working...
                              X