Breeding crickets?? How??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding crickets?? How??

Hi all, was just wondering if anyone could let me know how to breed crickets?
    So many visits to the pet shop!! Would be good to just breed my own.
    Thanks Laura

Re: Breeding crickets?? How??

In my opinion breeding crickets is a very hard thing to do. You should order them in bulk from one of the cricket farms. I personally order from Top Hat.

Comment

Forget the crickets, they stink and make way too much noise! Get yourself a nice colony of Discoids, they don't stink, don't climb, don't make noise and there isn't an insectivore out there that won't go nuts over them!
      "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

May I ask what you are feeding?

Comment

Hi thanks for all the replies, am feeding 2 bearded dragons. Also feed them wax worms every other day or so. what are discoids? could i feed them to them? Never heard of them. is that a website, top hat?
          thanks laura

Comment

Discoids are a species of roach. They don't climb smooth surfaces, they don't smell, and they eat any table scraps you might have, along with dog food. They're very easy to raise. They are much more nutricious than crickets because they have a much higher meat to shell ratio, and they have more protein and less fat than worms. I've raised all five of my beardies on them, and my tegus and BTSs.

I got my original starter colony from Sammy at www.Discoids.com . I don't think he's shipping right now due to the weather, but there are other places online that sell them.
            "It is not my responsibility to live up to other people's perceptions of who I am. I am only responsible for living up to the standards I set for myself, to be the person I want to be."

Comment

Thanks for that, will have look at the website, will aslo ask yarnton nursery if they sell them, as thats where we go every week to get the crickets.
              Laura

Comment

Originally posted by charl_ie View Post
                Hi all, was just wondering if anyone could let me know how to breed crickets?
                So many visits to the pet shop!! Would be good to just breed my own.
                Thanks Laura
                Breeding crickets is actually quite simple. The adults lay their eggs in soil. Peat moss is best to use. This is what I do. Find you self a container . A tub aquarium something that hold moisture. Put peat moss eith in a shallow container or full the bottom of the container. The peat need to be moist. Vermiculite will also work. Put in you adult Crickets. I buy them from Bait Shops.Feed of the adults after a while. Most will die after laying. Now the trick is to keep the tub warm and moist. No real moist but damp. The substate the eggs are in needs to be sprayed daily. Or whenever it looks dry. When your Crickets start to hatch feed them fish flakes or what ever you feed your adults but in tiny pieces. Chicken starter wirks well. Crickets take a good while to mature. So to keep your supply going you will need several tubs for the different life stages. Temps and Humidity are the key to keeping crickets alive and well. I hope this helps. I will be happy to answer any question . I can so let me know if . I haven't cover anything you need to know. I enjoy breeding the insects almost as much as the reptiles that eat them. Good luck I hope this helps.

Comment

Not sure about breeding crickets, but we recently started breeding our own mealworms and superworms for our Geckos and it's been super easy!

Just in the past 2MO I'd say we've produced 4000-5000 baby mealworms out of just 100-200 beetles we set aside 2-3MO ago. It's really just patience to get them started, but once they get going it just takes off. All we do now is move the beetles to a fresh tub every month and they leave 1000's of eggs in the substrate of the previous tub.

Comment

Working...
                  X